By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - First look af the PS5 controller. The DualSense

Dig it?

Yay 90 69.23%

Nay 40 30.77%

Total:130
Jranation said:
Runa216 said:
A lot of you guys are focusing WAY too much on the colours. Y'all realize colours don't make it comfortable and - if you're playing the game right - you'll be spending a lot more time looking at the screen.

I see a ratio of about 4:1 in favour of debating the controller's colour scheme to how it looks from an ergonomic perspective. You're all just focusing WAY too hard on aesthetics when, as I've said before and will say again, appearance is tertiary to comfort and functionality.

Obviously because none of us have used the controller yet. 

Exactly. I don't like the aesthetic either (but then again I thought the Switch pro and Xbox 360 controllers and Gamecube controller were ugly as fuck). IT's not hard to imagine what it'll feel like based on the images we have and yet people still care more about a colour scheme that'll have variants within a month of the console's launch, either through skins or alternate versions. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
Runa216 said:

You say that, but the PS line of consoles has literally always outsold the XB line of consoles...so maybe people don't actually care as much as you think they do? 

I, personally, barely notice a difference when swapping between the two. Both work equally fine for me and I actually keep forgetting there's a difference. If anything, I kinda prefer the PS layout because of Symmetry (but I've got OCPD, so the symmetry is weirdly important to me), but I accept that's just me. That said, sales indicated that most people don't care as much as they care about stuff like Exclusives. If they did, Xbox would be selling a whole lot more and PS would be selling notably less. 

Whats wrong with the idea of admitting they taking a winning design from a competitor and using their own brand name to propel it to higher levels of success? I mean I know what the problem is, I just want others to make peace with it. 

A better controller is a better controller, market share isn’t determined by that. But it’s nice to see the grip was clearly inspired by its competition. 

The problem is, Dual sense are very far from Xbox One controller design. It Still has the same DS4 level of comfortability from the look of it, but it's just slightly bigger and more refined.  THe grip are inspired by Dreamcast , hell even Xbox controller are inspired heavily by Dreamcast. Xbox as an existent is 100% are inspired by Dreamcast LOL. 

It might be because I'm a robot but I have no issue picking up any controller from SEGA to TG16 to Sony to Xbox to Nintendo and finding them easy to hold and knowing without looking where the button placement is of each letter/symbol. Xbox uses SEGA's layout. Nintendo uses the same one since SNES. Sony for whatever reason uses X to confirm in the US but O in Japan which makes more sense but still easy to adapt to. Wii U sticks gave me no issues either. I actually kinda miss the 6 button layout of Genesis/Saturn controllers. I don't get why 20 years later the placement of sticks is still such a hot topic. If you have an issue, get a 3rd party or one of those adapters to let you use an Xbox controller on PS.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I gotta say, huge fan of the colour scheme and overall design. I just find that it takes the shape of more of an Xbox kinda controller. It seems a bit too thick in width, whereas all the other PS controllers were more slim.

I voted yes, because no question it looks cool....I just wonder how it'll feel. Seems large.

Also, finally a controller that's not black originally. I'm loving that fact alone. The white look gives this very sleek and stylish feel. I really hope the console itself is mostly white. It'll be the first time a PS console isn't black since the very first PS1.

V-r0cK said:
sales2099 said:

A quick google search “which controller is more ergonomic Xbox or PlayStation” and the results are individual people overwhelmingly saying one feels better then the other.

If I’m wrong then why is the grip clearly inspired by the Xbox controller? Why take inspiration from a inferior design? 

You say I’m trying to one up Xbox over PlayStation....flip side is people refusing to admit Sony can’t do something as good as Xbox. Fandom works both ways. 

If you're telling someone to "google" that means you can't actually find real proof that clearly defines which is more ergonomic/prove your point.

I did "google" ...I googled "which controller is more ergonomic Xbox or PlayStation" and this was the first article that popped-up:

https://gameslearningsociety.org/dualshock-4-vs-xbox-one-s-controller/

The article claimed that the Dualshock 4 is the winner.  Should I now say that you're wrong? Should I now start blasting others' claim and tell them that the Xbox controller is more inferior? No, because at the end of the day it's still a preference thing.

You say the grip is inspired by Xbox controller yet Google Stadia/Nintendo Switch Pro/a crap ton of different PC controllers since the dawn of time also share the same form yet you're not going to point that out here cause you're only trying to one-up against Playstation.  And I say you trying to one up Xbox over Playstation because that's all you've ever posted since the dawn of the 360 era.  I remember exactly who you are cause you were always the guy that kept trolling PS3 threads.  Seems like your trolling hasn't changed all these years just like your avatar.

FYI.  I really like the xbox360 controller with how it feels, I just prefer where the D-pad and thumbstick are on Playstation controllers ...because its a preference thing. (The initial topic of our conversation was about the location of the D-pad/thumbstick...not the grip, but clearly you were just too busy trolling to try and point out other things like the grip rather than sticking to the actual conversation)

I was more recommending you go by majority rule, and not focus on one article written by one person. Because while I do agree subjective preference dictates, I don’t believe both controllers are created equal. This isn’t communism: gaming controller edition. One has the potential to be objectively better then the other, after bias and subjectivity are thrown out the window.

Any relative search online shows the Xbox controller has a better feel on the grips because the PS controller can be a bit small for adult hands. Then the eternal debate about where the left stick lies. But ultimately Sony was the first to buckle and redesign their controller, which does bear at least a slight similarity to the Xbox controller. Xbox merely had to tweak theirs....now what does that tell you? Tells me the DualShock design is outdated and that ain’t trolling to point that out. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:

I was more recommending you go by majority rule, and not focus on one article written by one person. Because while I do agree subjective preference dictates, I don’t believe both controllers are created equal. This isn’t communism: gaming controller edition. One has the potential to be objectively better then the other, after bias and subjectivity are thrown out the window.

Any relative search online shows the Xbox controller has a better feel on the grips because the PS controller can be a bit small for adult hands. Then the eternal debate about where the left stick lies. But ultimately Sony was the first to buckle and redesign their controller, which does bear at least a slight similarity to the Xbox controller. Xbox merely had to tweak theirs....now what does that tell you? Tells me the DualShock design is outdated and that ain’t trolling to point that out. 

Again what you're saying is nothing more than what "you think" is recommended by the majority..... and you find it silly to provide proof??  Proof is what solidifies your claim lolll !!!  How else do you think debates, lawsuits or anything in court works? Or in school for plagiarizing, video game sales etc...it all needs proof!  

You say the the PS controller can be a bit small for adult hands, well kids play too.  Think about the mass and not just adults.  My nephew couldn't play Xbox with me cause the controller was too big but he was fine to play with me on PS3.

Heck, people can claim to say that Dualshock is better/D-pad location is better by the fact that Dualshock controllers have sold the most of all controllers in gaming history and all the more reason why Sony kept the design from PS1 to PS3/keeping the D-pad where it is with PS4.  Because numbers of Dualshock sales are more proof of it being a better controller than you saying to just "google" it up. 

But that's not what I'm saying, I'm just saying its a preference thing. Nothing more.  But you wont let it be equal, you're very adamant about claiming Xbox controller is better without any proof other than to tell people to google it. 

With that comment of yours of saying it's "silly you’d even ask me to provide proof" (because clearly you can't provide), is proof itself that you are nothing more than a troll.

Last edited by V-r0cK - on 08 April 2020

Best one yet.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Best one yet.

That's going to be the 25th anniversary controller edition :D

So, in the end, Sony chose the shittiest color layout possible for some reason. As others have pointed out, color is barely important, yet I hope they change it, have more available by launch or whatever.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

This works ok for two tone, but instead of the pink (or black of the official version), make it a similar blue to the touch pad LED, like on the Spider-man mock up here. That or take the red on the Spider-man one and make it white. Only difference would be the color of the sticks, and both would look alright. Both these mock ups are pretty decent, though hot pink might not exactly fly off the shelves.