By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Are you OK with games becoming more Politically Correct?

Tagged games:

Is PC ruining gaming?

Yes 19 31.67%

No, you're just being silly! Ah 41 68.33%

Total:60
Spindel said:

In before people getting upset over silly things like nerfed boob physics

You think that's silly? How about people getting upset that Princess Peach needs to be saved again or that Princess Kitana's clothing slightly reveals her breas- CENSOR THAT SHIT! 

sundin13 said:

I don't think this is PC culture running rampant and destroying muh gaems, it is just people asking for better written stories which is an entirely natural criticism and expectation...

No, they aren't asking for a better written story they just don't like Homosexuals to be portrayed in a slightly negative tone even if it was meant as a joke not meant to hurt anybody. Would you tell a stand up comedian that he can't make race related jokes? Or only if it's about White people?

While criticism is valid, expecting the game to change it's content because you feel like it, is PC culture running rampant.

Shiken said:

I do not agree with certain versions being censored over other simply because over sensitive people might get "offended".

I agree, unfortunately we western gamers might never get the true version of Snatchers, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Xenoblade Chronicles X or Fire Emblem Fates and other games i can't think of right now.

Shadow1980 said:
Not necessarily.

I do think we could use more games with progressive-minded viewpoints in the stories, with better representation among lead protagonists. More women. More non-whites. More LGBT people. And, as TV Tropes would put it, some anvils need to be dropped.

I agree we could use some NEW GAMES that feature more non-whites, lgbt and female leads with a purpose to the story of the game. Not adding these traits to famous videogames that have no need for any of it other than to cater to people who don't like the game in the first place.

Jpcc86 said:

people were turned off by Horizon at first because the MC was female and they "couldnt relate" and then the game turned out to be fantastic. Either way, I rather games have moral/political commentary than to just be plain moronic like Duke Nukem. But thats me, moronic games like that have an audience as well. 

Strange that people would be turned off by Horizon when we have female gaming leads since forever, it's not anything new.

Games that are not PC or "plain moronic" like you'd call them definitely have their audience because gamers first and foremost generally don't care for real life social politics in their games which is why Duke Nukem used to be so succesful for being a good game with funny writing, Duke Nukem didn't turn me into a sexist or see women as sex objects i just took them as a joke as anyone who played the game should.

sundin13 said:
Snoorlax said:

Actually, i'm in for a fair market. But either way i don't see any PC actually buying and streaming these games online because they really don't give a damn about it look at how terrible the Star Wars movies have performed over the years? Did the forced changes by the free market work? Didn't think so.

MK11 was the fifth best selling game of 2019. Fire Emblem Three Houses is the best selling game in the franchise. RE5 was the best selling game in the series when it released.  I'd say that their appeals to the free market are doing just fine.

But don't worry comrade. If you ever want to seize the means of production to distribute games to the proletariat, hit me up.

Oh really? Yeah let's take a look at Mk11's metacritic user score

3.3 doesn't sound very positive now does it? It's filled with microtransactions and pc'd MK something which fans have never asked for in their MK game. Here you can read the comments where fans complain about the politics in Mk11

Resident Evil 5 came out during a time were the WOKE warriors had not taken over the western gaming industry yet, even so RE 5 is considered among the weaker RE games you'd know this if you're familiar with the series. Luckily, Capcom is Japanese and managed to avoid some of the wokeness with some of their latest games.

Last edited by Snoorlax - on 31 March 2020

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Snoorlax said:

No, everybody is allowed to have an opinion and i'm okay with that! BUT if you don't like scantally clad women in an established videogame franchise like MK well then maybe play something else? Why try to pressure and change the game for what it's known for? Because it's succesful and popular it needs to cater to those who generally don't like it as well?

That's my problem and it's really happening with Movies, comics and yes even videogames stop lying to yourself. 

That is basically my issue with things. Go and create as many new IPs as you like, there are several heavily politicized themes and IPs I like (even some that are opposite of what I think), but there is no need to hijack what already exist and shoehorn those changes to please people that don't even buy the product.

Exactly, and they're only doing this to established videogame franchises because those are actually popular and bring in lots of money. They wouldn't give two shits about Battlefield, Mk, RE if these games weren't million sellers.

and starting an entirely new IP with PC fundamentals is too much work and would probably flop anyways, so it's much easier to change what's already there like Star Wars.

RolStoppable said:
Snoorlax said:

Exactly, and they're only doing this to established videogame franchises because those are actually popular and bring in lots of money. They wouldn't give two shits about Battlefield, Mk, RE if these games weren't million sellers.

and starting an entirely new IP with PC fundamentals is too much work and would probably flop anyways, so it's much easier to change what's already there like Star Wars.

You are aiming for the wrong target.

For example, if you told me to jump off a bridge and I do it, who is responsible for my action; is it you or me? I can tell you that you are making a stupid suggestion and if you believed that it's a good idea, then you should go ahead and do it yourself. It's the same for video games; every publisher can refuse to follow stupid suggestions. If your problem is that games have certain things that you don't like, then blame the people who actually implement those things.

Furthermore, it's not farfetched that dumb things are in games not because developers were "pressured" into doing it by someone else, but because the developers actually want to put them in there. There are so many developers who use the medium video games to tell what they believe is a great story, so it's not a long shot at all that many of them want their game to have political messaging.

With IPs that have run for decades, you commonly have situations where the original creators aren't on board anymore, so someone else has to take over and injects their own vision that is not necessarily in line with the interpretation of the original creators.

Your last paragraph is the reason why I prefer that IPs get finished when they told their story and then start a new IP, and that is one aspect that I liked about Sony (it diminished a little this gen) and am looking on how will be done on PS5.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Xenoblade Chronicles X was not removed due to political correctness concerns, it was because pedophilia is generally frowned upon and criminalized in Western society, but not so much in countries like Japan. They create this stuff to market to pedophiles niches, but in many Western markets it’s been decided that pedophilia shouldn’t be in any way normalized as they had done in Japan.

In the end, it amounts to a localization decision, like changing the language and font. No one misses that stuff as the detail is irrelevant to the experience. It doesn’t add to the artistic merit of the work in any way shape or form... unless you’re a pedophile. And realistically, it’s because of pedophiles wanting this sort of stuff that makes it necessary for removal. If there was no demand for underage girls in skimpy outfits, then removal of this stuff wouldn’t be relevant.

And the whole “I want to see underage girls in skimpy outfits not because I’m a pedophile but because I want the art as originally intended) is a bullshit argument. I am willing to bet these same people making this argument would not complain nearly as much about any other changes that occurred were the game to be ported to Switch. If you want the pristine Japanese version of the game, don’t by the European localization because that one is localized for European markets, not Japanese markets.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Xenoblade Chronicles X was not removed due to political correctness concerns, it was because pedophilia is generally frowned upon and criminalized in Western society, but not so much in countries like Japan. They create this stuff to market to pedophiles niches, but in many Western markets it’s been decided that pedophilia shouldn’t be in any way normalized as they had done in Japan.

1. XCX does not have pedophilia.

2. That Japan supports pedophilia is a common racist trope, but also untrue. Japan has made underage sex illegal, as most of the world. Don't fall for racist propaganda.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

if you complain about diversity on purpose, then you want to make it politically incorrect on purpose also. that is also a form of wanting to dictate. I prefer games to be better and fun gameplay than worry about that. americans worry too much about politically in/correctness. and bolsonaro supporters also.

ruior said:
if you complain about diversity on purpose, then you want to make it politically incorrect on purpose also. that is also a form of wanting to dictate. I prefer games to be better and fun gameplay than worry about that. americans worry too much about politically in/correctness. and bolsonaro supporters also.

Diversity on purpose and no diversity on purpose are both fine for example having mostly white characters in Kingdom Comes Deliverance to be more historical acurate for the region the story of the game unfolds in.

And i remember there was some dumb internet uproar about that.

The blowback against being politically correct has always entertained me. All I see in these discussions is "Maybe we should be more conscientious of minorities and the underprivileged. Maybe we should stop pushing a narrative where only white men have power and strength. Maybe we shouldn't needlessly sexualized people or objectify them" get met with 'fuck off with your PC culture! STOP PUSHING YOUR SJW AGENDA!"

Like, dude, if you think it's a bad thing that the world has collectively agreed that bigotry and sexism and various other offensive nonsense is bad, then you're part of the problem. If you can't accept that things change, then you're dragging us all down, holding us all back, and making the world a worse place.

Art is art. Some art is going to be offensive. some art is going to be progressive. Some art is going to be both, and some art is going to be neither. Some people are offended by different things, some people are offended by everything, and some people aren't offended by anything. Humour, art, and media will always be pushing boundaries and that is literally never going to change; it's just not. The only difference is general public perception. If a comedian or piece of media goes too far and it gets backlash, then that's the collective agreeing that 'no, you went too far', or 'no, that's not okay', and you're just sulking because in the court of social progress, you were on the wrong side.

IF you complain about PC culture ruining media, then you're tacitly admitting that you lost, you were deemed wrong, and that you are lashing out against progress because the world left you behind.

Like, seriously, if you think about it, all manner of media have been existing on a spectrum forever. A movie where a kid befriended an imaginary version of hitler was a comedy, and it got a bunch of academy awards and nominations because it was done with tact and heart. Robert Downey Jr got nominated for an academy award for a movie where he had blackface on. The key is that 'PC culture' isn't a problem unless you failed. Those instances were critically hailed because they were done well, but things like Ghost in the Shell did terrible. the fact that she was white didn't help, but the movie flopped because it was a bad movie. That's why something like God of War does remarkably well, but Duke Nukem does poorly.

The point I'm getting to here in a very roundabout way is that 'PC culture' isn't ruining anything. Shitty people with shitty opinions are just being held accountable for their shittiness and since that's a relatively new thing, people aren't handling it all too well. Art of all sorts can be tame, edgy, offensive, or politically correct, the key is that it has to be at least as good/funny as it is offensive to not be a failure. So no, PC culture isn't ruining games, shitty devs who focus more on shock value and cheap laughs and offensive content over quality or do so without a good reason are the problem.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
The blowback against being politically correct has always entertained me. All I see in these discussions is "Maybe we should be more conscientious of minorities and the underprivileged. Maybe we should stop pushing a narrative where only white men have power and strength. Maybe we shouldn't needlessly sexualized people or objectify them" get met with 'fuck off with your PC culture! STOP PUSHING YOUR SJW AGENDA!"

Like, dude, if you think it's a bad thing that the world has collectively agreed that bigotry and sexism and various other offensive nonsense is bad, then you're part of the problem. If you can't accept that things change, then you're dragging us all down, holding us all back, and making the world a worse place.

Art is art. Some art is going to be offensive. some art is going to be progressive. Some art is going to be both, and some art is going to be neither. Some people are offended by different things, some people are offended by everything, and some people aren't offended by anything. Humour, art, and media will always be pushing boundaries and that is literally never going to change; it's just not. The only difference is general public perception. If a comedian or piece of media goes too far and it gets backlash, then that's the collective agreeing that 'no, you went too far', or 'no, that's not okay', and you're just sulking because in the court of social progress, you were on the wrong side.

IF you complain about PC culture ruining media, then you're tacitly admitting that you lost, you were deemed wrong, and that you are lashing out against progress because the world left you behind.

Like, seriously, if you think about it, all manner of media have been existing on a spectrum forever. A movie where a kid befriended an imaginary version of hitler was a comedy, and it got a bunch of academy awards and nominations because it was done with tact and heart. Robert Downey Jr got nominated for an academy award for a movie where he had blackface on. The key is that 'PC culture' isn't a problem unless you failed. Those instances were critically hailed because they were done well, but things like Ghost in the Shell did terrible. the fact that she was white didn't help, but the movie flopped because it was a bad movie. That's why something like God of War does remarkably well, but Duke Nukem does poorly.

The point I'm getting to here in a very roundabout way is that 'PC culture' isn't ruining anything. Shitty people with shitty opinions are just being held accountable for their shittiness and since that's a relatively new thing, people aren't handling it all too well. Art of all sorts can be tame, edgy, offensive, or politically correct, the key is that it has to be at least as good/funny as it is offensive to not be a failure. So no, PC culture isn't ruining games, shitty devs who focus more on shock value and cheap laughs and offensive content over quality or do so without a good reason are the problem.

You are wrong on a few aspects. First that the world agreed on anything, second the fact that someone got a big backlash doesn`t mean majority don`t like or anything like that, most likely mean a vocal minority got really loud (it happens all the time and from both sides of this argument).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Immersiveunreality said:
ruior said:

Diversity on purpose and no diversity on purpose are both fine for example having mostly white characters in Kingdom Comes Deliverance to be more historical acurate for the region the story of the game unfolds in.

And i remember there was some dumb internet uproar about that.

yes but what I mean is that for me is equal if they are all white black man women, shemale, ladyboy whatever lol, I just don't care and I have more things to do with my life than internet comments uproars about that. I work and games are always cool to master and make my empty time fun, if I don't like I don't buy. We have a lot of them. And to all kind of audiences.
There is uproar on both sides (pro diversity and anti diversity) and is a waste of time in my view.
I think that usually there is a point of reason on those that want historically correct and on those that want diversity, maybe devs are still trying to find a balance.
But the more attention we give to both sides of the "uproarers", the worst. in my view they are the radicals. 

Last edited by ruior - on 31 March 2020