By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Are you OK with games becoming more Politically Correct?

Tagged games:

Is PC ruining gaming?

Yes 19 31.67%

No, you're just being silly! Ah 41 68.33%

Total:60
Chrkeller said:
Runa216 said:

Like, dude, if you think it's a bad thing that the world has collectively agreed that bigotry and sexism and various other offensive nonsense is bad, then you're part of the problem. If you can't accept that things change, then you're dragging us all down, holding us all back, and making the world a worse place.

I agreed with your post overall, but in particular the part quoted above.  Well said.  I never understood why people flip out over having a female being properly clothed in a videogame.  I was very pleased with how Lara Croft was handled in Tomb Raider Reboot.  I also like what they did with Jill in RE3 Remake.  

Exactly. there's a place to post offensive or off-colour humour or material (it was well done and over-the-top in the first three God of War games), but sexualizing women in peril in an otherwise serious game is not one of those places. Like so many other things, it's all about balance. Know your audience, know what's appropriate, and make good content. There's a huge market for offensive or politically incorrect material, but it can't be shock value for the sake of shock value, there needs to be more to it than that. 

Being insensitive without reason or in an inappropriate time is bad. but if you pick your battles, it can be great! Art is often pushing boundaries, but there needs to be intent or artistic merit behind it. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
Runa216 said:
Chrkeller said:

I agreed with your post overall, but in particular the part quoted above.  Well said.  I never understood why people flip out over having a female being properly clothed in a videogame.  I was very pleased with how Lara Croft was handled in Tomb Raider Reboot.  I also like what they did with Jill in RE3 Remake.  

Exactly. there's a place to post offensive or off-colour humour or material (it was well done and over-the-top in the first three God of War games), but sexualizing women in peril in an otherwise serious game is not one of those places. Like so many other things, it's all about balance. Know your audience, know what's appropriate, and make good content. There's a huge market for offensive or politically incorrect material, but it can't be shock value for the sake of shock value, there needs to be more to it than that. 

Being insensitive without reason or in an inappropriate time is bad. but if you pick your battles, it can be great! Art is often pushing boundaries, but there needs to be intent or artistic merit behind it. 

See, this is what I have a problem with. You say that there are audiences for offensive or politically incorrect content, but at the same time you try to dictate what should and shouldn't be done in content that you're not the target audience of.

Let people get off on whatever they please. Content regarded as offensive by the ruling mainstream opinion is absolutely fine. Being offended at rape scenes in a video game is the exact same bullshit as being offended by videogames featuring a gay couple. There are audiences for everything. Just let people live their fantasies, no matter how offensive it seems to you. There are no limits in fantasy content and there should absolutely be none. There should also be no need for "balance". I mean who do you even want balance for? Just remember the golden rule: if it doesn't hurt anyone it's fine to do.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

About japaneses been lenient towards pedophilia

I' sure you guys have no idea about how much lolicon and shotacon mangas has been published there

And these mangas portrays minors doing sex with grown ups. If you don't think it should be forbidden than I won't discuss anymore we just have a far different moral and social standards to even start a discussion

vivster said:
Runa216 said:

See, this is what I have a problem with. You say that there are audiences for offensive or politically incorrect content, but at the same time you try to dictate what should and shouldn't be done in content that you're not the target audience of.

Let people get off on whatever they please. Content regarded as offensive by the ruling mainstream opinion is absolutely fine. Being offended at rape scenes in a video game is the exact same bullshit as being offended by videogames featuring a gay couple. There are audiences for everything. Just let people live their fantasies, no matter how offensive it seems to you. There are no limits in fantasy content and there should absolutely be none. There should also be no need for "balance". I mean who do you even want balance for? Just remember the golden rule: if it doesn't hurt anyone it's fine to do.

But that is kind of the entire point.  There are a wide range of audiences.  And for years gaming focused on a single subset.  Gaming expanding development scope to include a wider range of folks is just business.  More sales is more money, which (given production costs) increasing sales is important.  I will use my wife as an example, given she does game quite a bit.  Does she have an interest in Jill mini skirt + tube top?  How about Bayonetta?  Nope.  By default overtly sexualization limits appeal and thus sales.  One might note Bayonetta (despite being a great game) doesn't sell that particularly well.  On the flip side most Nintendo games have general appear.  Men, women, young, old, etc. can all enjoy Mario Kart, Pokemon, Mario, Animal Crossing, Zelda, etc...  and note that Nintendo games tend to be some of the best sellers.      

I don't believe gaming is being forced to modernize.  It is a natural progression of the business to grow the market organically.

Chrkeller said:
vivster said:

But that is kind of the entire point.  There are a wide range of audiences.  And for years gaming focused on a single subset.  Gaming expanding development scope to include a wider range of folks is just business.  More sales is more money, which (given production costs) increasing sales is important.  I will use my wife as an example, given she does game quite a bit.  Does she have an interest in Jill mini skirt + tube top?  How about Bayonetta?  Nope.  By default overtly sexualization limits appeal and thus sales.  One might note Bayonetta (despite being a great game) doesn't sell that particularly well.  On the flip side most Nintendo games have general appear.  Men, women, young, old, etc. can all enjoy Mario Kart, Pokemon, Mario, Animal Crossing, Zelda, etc...  and note that Nintendo games tend to be some of the best sellers.      

I don't believe gaming is being forced to modernize.  It is a natural progression of the business to grow the market organically.

Games for broader audiences are fine, but the point is it shouldn't be the first priority to appeal to as broad of an audience as possible unless the developer or publisher wishes so. In a sense making games appeal to a more general audience will at the same time make them less appealing to niches. There is room for both types of games and neither should have a say in what the other is supposed to do. There are plenty of developers who have found their success in niches, especially in offensive genres. Shouldn't it be the creator's choice if he would like to broaden his audience or not?

There will be no future where niche games don't exist because demand creates them, so the endeavor of making as many games as broad and socially sensible as possible is at best futile and at worst damaging.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
About japaneses been lenient towards pedophilia

I' sure you guys have no idea about how much lolicon and shotacon mangas has been published there

And these mangas portrays minors doing sex with grown ups. If you don't think it should be forbidden than I won't discuss anymore we just have a far different moral and social standards to even start a discussion
Apart from the fact that you just generalized 128 million people, here is a nice definition.
bigotry
/ˈbɪɡətri/
noun
noun: bigotry; plural noun: bigotries
  1. intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself.

vivster said:
bigotry
/ˈbɪɡətri/
noun
noun: bigotry; plural noun: bigotries
  1. intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself.

Yes, I'm intolerant. I won't try to silence you (not exactly you, I guess you understand), but I won't extend a discussion if I realize the person standards are that far different from mine. That's why I can't engage discussions with people who uses religious arguments either

vivster said:
Chrkeller said:

Games for broader audiences are fine, but the point is it shouldn't be the first priority to appeal to as broad of an audience as possible unless the developer or publisher wishes so. In a sense making games appeal to a more general audience will at the same time make them less appealing to niches. There is room for both types of games and neither should have a say in what the other is supposed to do. There are plenty of developers who have found their success in niches, especially in offensive genres. Shouldn't it be the creator's choice if he would like to broaden his audience or not?

There will be no future where niche games don't exist because demand creates them, so the endeavor of making as many games as broad and socially sensible as possible is at best futile and at worst damaging.

Of course developers should have the right to make a game to their artistic desires.  It is also the right of the consumer to not buy a particular game.  I've bought Kuni and DQ11 for the kids.  However there are other rpgs, despite being good games, I have not (and will not) purchase for my kids.  

And nobody has forced developers to alter their design choices, other than consumers voting with their wallets.  There hasn't been a single law restricting what developers can (or cannot) do.  So what is currently occurring is exactly how you think it should be.  Developers have freedom of choice and are simply responding to the market place as they deem fit.  Games have shifted over the last decade, because the market has shifted.  Life evolves and moves on.  Some are left behind, but such is life.

vivster said:
Runa216 said:

I don't even know who the fuck you are, but you just equated 'rape' to 'being gay and existing'. That's pretty gross, dude. 

Also, I specifically said 'know your audience' when explaining that risque material is all about balance. there is no one right answer to this, as different crowds believe different things and have different thresholds. By removing the nuance of the material and somehow equating a violent, repulsive act to one of love and affection by simple virtue of the fact that some people are offended by it, you're doing a great disservice to yourself, to the topic at hand, and to humanity as a whole. It's absolutely astounding to me that someone can genuinely argue that being gay is as bad as raping someone and mean it, because those two things should never be treated the same, as one is a violent, morally repugnant act and the other is....not? Like, it's really simple. You're the living embodiment of "I hate Puppies!" "I hate people who hate puppies!" "Why's there so much hatred on both sides!" One of those sides is morally and ethically wrong, they are not equal.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

vivster said:
Chrkeller said:

Do you not understand how business works? Do you not understand how art works? Do you not understand how any of this works? 

Seriously, there's a time for broad appeal and there's a time for catering to a niche audience. There's a time to risk it all on something new and uncharted and there's a time to stick with what's safe and reliable. Videogames are both an art and an industry, and as a result the developers and publishers really need to balance the needs of the artists that work with the games and the public demands of their publishers in order to get to the widest audience. Sometimes you don't want a wide audience and instead make something from the heart, something that resonates with a smaller crowd. Sometimes you want something that everyone wants.

When it comes down to aiming for an audience, it just makes a whoooooole lot more sense to not be offensive to women or minorities or foreigners. Like, yeah there's a place for over-the-top nonsense with misogyny and toxic masculinity and machismo, but that cuts out so much of the audience and I just don't think there's a big market for that sort of shit anymore. People don't find toxic masculinity appealing, anymore. some people do, but those people need to learn they are the minority now and that they need to hold out for the niche titles. 

I find it baffling that people are in any way bothered by this natural progression of the medium. as time goes on and the industry changes with society, it's natural that things once considered mainstream and normal are ostracized for the nonsense they are. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX