By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Are you OK with games becoming more Politically Correct?

Tagged games:

Is PC ruining gaming?

Yes 19 31.67%

No, you're just being silly! Ah 41 68.33%

Total:60
Chrkeller said:
DonFerrari said:

Your problem with playing with your daughter aren`t zombies and gore but short skirts that people use on the street every single day?

The inappropriate outfit(s) were not RE3 specific.  RE3 was an (excellent) example.  But yes.  Kids are impressionable and playing games that imply girls are only fit for eye candy isn't a smart move.  My girls are quite intelligent and are currently taking marital arts.  So I absolutely consider the message(s) games are sending before letting them play.  It is called being a responsible parent.    

I used RE3 because the example is perfection.  Jill is a highly trained combat expert, with access to combat gear.  Additionally, she survived the events at the Spencer Mansion.  She is going against enemies with sharp teeth, claws, etc.  She will be travelling through ruin and destruction.  Shards of metal, broken glass and fire.  **** me boots, tube top and mini skirt.  Yeah, totally.  Not silly at all.   

It makes as much sense as Drake running through the Gabon rainforest with only a sock over his genitals.  

So you are going to avoid any and all games that also have man behaving wrongly because as a responsible parent you don`t want them thinking man behave bad right? You will also avoid letting them see most girls using little clothing whenever they are hanging around?

There are plenty games with man protagonist using very little, unpractical or silly clothing as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Otter said:
sales2099 said:

But what if the game in question is from your favourite franchise since you were a kid? It’s not so easy to just drop the franchise you’ve loved for years. It’s not so black and white 

These things tend to not be a deal breaker. But it can still take away from the games story appeal. 

Whats an example for you? (The storyline being hurt)

Mass Effect Andromeda. Loved the trilogy because of the immersive galaxy of diverse aliens and cultures. 

Andromeda felt different from a story perspective and made some overtly left wing changes to the cultures of the aliens. Like I said, these weren’t deal breakers. I played the game and I enjoyed it in its own right. But it certainly didn’t make me feel the same as playing the trilogy...I couldn’t help noticing the changes. The Krogan and Asari changes are a couple off the top of my head.  

Last edited by sales2099 - on 30 March 2020

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I need to be able to change my vote, the thread title and the poll have questions that are opposite of each causing me to incorrectly vote (have a feeling a lot of people are doing this).

Nintendo with the Switch:

DonFerrari said:
Chrkeller said:

The inappropriate outfit(s) were not RE3 specific.  RE3 was an (excellent) example.  But yes.  Kids are impressionable and playing games that imply girls are only fit for eye candy isn't a smart move.  My girls are quite intelligent and are currently taking marital arts.  So I absolutely consider the message(s) games are sending before letting them play.  It is called being a responsible parent.    

I used RE3 because the example is perfection.  Jill is a highly trained combat expert, with access to combat gear.  Additionally, she survived the events at the Spencer Mansion.  She is going against enemies with sharp teeth, claws, etc.  She will be travelling through ruin and destruction.  Shards of metal, broken glass and fire.  **** me boots, tube top and mini skirt.  Yeah, totally.  Not silly at all.   

It makes as much sense as Drake running through the Gabon rainforest with only a sock over his genitals.  

1) So you are going to avoid any and all games that also have man behaving wrongly because as a responsible parent you don`t want them thinking man behave bad right?

2) You will also avoid letting them see most girls using little clothing whenever they are hanging around?

3) There are plenty games with man protagonist using very little, unpractical or silly clothing as well.

1) Certainly I consider the behaviors/actions of all characters, not just female.

2) Non sequitur.  The point is dressing appropriately for the task at hand.  I shouldn't have to say this, but attire for hanging at the mall is different than say fighting the zombie apocalypse.  Either you missed my entire point or are forming an argument that hasn't been made.  Either way you are off base here.    

3) Yes, and it is stupid.    

sales2099 said:
Otter said:

Whats an example for you? (The storyline being hurt)

Mass Effect Andromeda. Loved the trilogy because of the immersive galaxy of diverse aliens and cultures. 

Andromeda felt different from a story perspective and made some overtly left wing changes to the cultures of the aliens. Like I said, these weren’t deal breakers. I played the game and I enjoyed it in its own right. But it certainly didn’t make me feel the same as playing the trilogy...I couldn’t help noticing the changes. The Krogan and Asari changes are a couple off the top of my head.  

Mass Effect has always been liberal leaning though? So have bioware games in general. I'm only like 8hours into Andromeda so I can't really comment on it specifically but I can see its not up to the standard of old trilogy but for now absolutely nothing to do with trying to be PC lol

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
DonFerrari said:

1) So you are going to avoid any and all games that also have man behaving wrongly because as a responsible parent you don`t want them thinking man behave bad right?

2) You will also avoid letting them see most girls using little clothing whenever they are hanging around?

3) There are plenty games with man protagonist using very little, unpractical or silly clothing as well.

1) Certainly I consider the behaviors/actions of all characters, not just female.

2) Non sequitur.  The point is dressing appropriately for the task at hand.  I shouldn't have to say this, but attire for hanging at the mall is different than say fighting the zombie apocalypse.  Either you missed my entire point or are forming an argument that hasn't been made.  Either way you are off base here.    

3) Yes, and it is stupid.    

Fair enough. But what was the last time you thought bad of a female because chars were using few clothes or bad of males because a char made a vilaneous act?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

sales2099 said:
sundin13 said:

Are you trying to tell me that no democrat has ever played a video game?

Or that you can't be both creative and a democrat?

I believe far more democrats are more concerned with games being aligned with their beliefs then their desire to actually play them. Look no further then Twitter or Reddit. 

Creatively I don’t believe a democrat is on the same level as someone politically neutral or conservative. Because from the shows I’ve watched with a left wing slant, the bad guy almost always has a combination of: seeing themselves above women, is a racist, homophobe, and oppressing a marginalized group. It’s so predictable. It makes it so painfully obvious they want you to know who the bad guy is.

A proper way to be creative is to make characters with grey area. Nuance. To be willing to offend to make a greater point, especially when it concerns their own beliefs. Those are things left wing creatives just have a harder time doing.

This is truly ridiculous.

There are literally millions of creators on the left creating amazing art of all kinds. Innumerable musicians, authors, directors, actors, etc are creating amazing art every day. Some bring their politics into their work, others don't, but to say that you don't believe a democrat is on the same creative level is fucking bonkers and shows something seriously fucked in your worldview, dude.

And do you have any evidence that either Gears or Halo weren't created by democrats? Like, Cliffy B, the creator of Gears of War is a fucking Democrat. Check your biases...

Last edited by sundin13 - on 30 March 2020

Chrkeller said:

I'd play that.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 30 March 2020

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Otter said:
sales2099 said:

Mass Effect has always been liberal leaning though? So have bioware games in general. I'm only like 8hours into Andromeda so I can't really comment on it specifically but I can see its not up to the standard of old trilogy but for now absolutely nothing to do with trying to be PC lol

No I wouldn’t say that. I’d say ME was politically neutral. The best combination, and that was the point with player choice being the main thing. In Andromeda the Krogan culture evaporating overnight because a male led warrior race that used fertile women as bargaining chips isnt PC, despite them being a fictional alien race that doesn’t impact human culture and values at all. Just one example and I’m only scratching the surface. Don’t want to give you a text wall. 

Like I said, this isn’t a deal breaker, but it was noticeable enough to take me out of the immersion. PCing a traditionally non politically correct alien species was noticeable to lore junkies like myself. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

sundin13 said:
sales2099 said:

I believe far more democrats are more concerned with games being aligned with their beliefs then their desire to actually play them. Look no further then Twitter or Reddit. 

Creatively I don’t believe a democrat is on the same level as someone politically neutral or conservative. Because from the shows I’ve watched with a left wing slant, the bad guy almost always has a combination of: seeing themselves above women, is a racist, homophobe, and oppressing a marginalized group. It’s so predictable. It makes it so painfully obvious they want you to know who the bad guy is.

A proper way to be creative is to make characters with grey area. Nuance. To be willing to offend to make a greater point, especially when it concerns their own beliefs. Those are things left wing creatives just have a harder time doing.

This is truly ridiculous.

There are literally millions of creators on the left creating amazing art of all kinds. Innumerable musicians, authors, directors, actors, etc are creating amazing art every day. Some bring their politics into their work, others don't, but to say that you don't believe a democrat is on the same creative level is fucking bonkers and shows something seriously fucked in your worldview, dude.

And do you have any evidence that either Gears or Halo weren't created by democrats? Like, Cliffy B, the creator of Gears of War is a fucking Democrat. Check your biases...

I’m not talking art or whatever mediums you are saying. I’m specifically talking TV in my previous example, where villian motivations are black and white and lack nuance. 

But to the real point, I’d say Halo and Gears were made with politically neutral intentions. Which is how video games should be. You saying people can’t change their views in a decades time, that’s highly arguable. Also Cliffy went on record with Lawbreakers saying it’s better to make your success on politically neutral content and only then can you be safe enough to push your personal views. I’m paraphrasing of course, but a quick google search of “Cliffy B Lawbreakers interview” you’ll see my context.