By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Presidential Election Thread

gergroy said:
Machiavellian said:
So Fox news is airing something interesting. Its a guy Tony Bobulinsky that says he has evidence of Joe and Hunter dealings with a China company to enrich themselves. Interesting that he has all these text, emails so fort but of course he doesn't have anything with Joe name on it and he waiting until less than 2 weeks to come forward with his new patriotism. Yu have to love the last minute long ball here but its interesting to see how this will play out. There is nothing illegal going on since these deals were done in 2017 but he would need to provide evidence with Joe name in it to really bring this home.

It’s all dumb.  I’m sure Hunter was using his dads name to make some money, and honestly I can’t really blame him.  I don’t believe for a second Joe was involved in any of it, and obviously none of it has Joe’s name either.  The crazy thing though, is if you flipped the script and looked at Trumps kids, I’m pretty sure they have done far worse, but with out the drug addiction to blame.

The guy said he had a meeting with Joe and they talked about the setup of this company which so happens he is still in charge of I believe.  What I find interesting in all this as well is of the timing.  I am also not believing this but if you think about timing it makes sense.  He comes out on national news less than 2 weeks before election.  He makes claims but nothing can or will be verified that Joe has any involvement but the insinuation of it is enough before election to try and swing some votes.  During this reveal I could not determine if there was anything going on that was illegal but that is probably the point.  It doesn't have to be illegal or anything, the insinuation of dealing with China right now is the theme more than anything else.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
The final debate was Trump's last chance to turn things around, and he needed to knock it out of the park... which he was never going to accomplish. "Less awful than last time" isn't good enough.

Trump's approval ratings are still in the toilet. The polls, while they may narrow slightly in the coming days, still massively favor Biden, who is still performing far better than Hillary did in 2016 and at least as good if not better than Obama was in 2012, not just nationally but in most key states. With only eleven days to go until election day, I can't see much of anything realistic that would turn the tide in Trump's favor.

I sure hope you are right.  The way 2016 went down still has me nervous though.  I would be so happy to not have to hear about Betsy devos education plans anymore... easily the worst government official we have ever had...

Fact checks of the final debate:

https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/oct/23/fact-checking-donald-trump-joe-biden-final-preside/
https://www.factcheck.org/2020/10/factchecking-the-final-2020-presidential-debate/

It's not even close.

My thoughts on the second and final debate:

First of all, and let's just get this established, Joe Biden was the clear winner in public opinion. All four national polls of viewers taken on the subject indicate that, by a double-digit margin, Biden was perceived as the "winner" of this debate. This includes Politico's (54% to 39%), CNN's (53% to 39%), YouGov's (54% to 35%), and the Data for Progress survey (52% to 40%) all. What's more, there's no indication of a reduced margin compared to the first debate either. Biden's margin of perceived victory in the YouGov survey, for example, was wider than in the analogous survey taken immediately after the first debate (which had been 48% to 41%) while the CNN survey appears more favorable to Trump than in the first debate only because they sampled more Republicans this time around (D+1 here compared to D+14 in their poll from last month). Nothing has changed. Nobody should be panicking and no Trump voters should be happy.

People (including the press) act like if Trump just becomes temporarily more civilized for an hour and a half, that's enough to sell people on the merits of the administration's herd immunity strategy. It's not, and you can plainly see as much in the survey results linked above. People still prefer to live, believe it or not. There is no getting around the coronavirus issue. You cannot blandly weasel your way out of the fact that you're actively trying to take away 20 million people's health insurance in the middle of a pandemic, failing to negotiate a new covid relief bill demanded by more than 70% of Americans (instead the confirmation of an unpopular new Supreme Court justice is being prioritized), and desperately attacking the most trusted man in America on this issue, Dr. Anthony Fauci (who enjoys a 68% personal favorability rating) because your do-nothing strategy has manifestly failed miserably. Nobody (or at least nobody new anyway) is buying his bullshit, and least of all on the #1 issue on their minds.

It was obvious from this debate that even Trump himself has figured out that his campaign strategy has clearly failed, as he notably dropped all references to "law and order", the main throughline at the Republican National Convention  two months ago, as well as all claims of voter fraud, in this debate, apparently sensing that these two core components of his re-election argument up to now aren't getting anywhere. When you drop your core argument less than two weeks out from election day...well I think that says everything that needs to be said both about where you stand...and about what you stand for. The main takeaway I got from this debate was that Biden is running on something (e.g. stimulus package, PPE surge, green infrastructure program, raising the minimum wage in a way that would directly benefit me personally, etc.) while Trump is running on nothing. Whatever you think of the message Trump offered in 2016, you can't deny that he had one and that it came through more clearly than Hillary Clinton's. In 2020, by contrast, Trump has no message, no second-term program, on offer. It's his opponent this time around who offers a discernible vision for a better future. People I think can sense that difference.

Also, let's be clear: this debate was only more civilized than the September debate because the moderator now had, and used, the power to cut off the mics of the candidates when it was not their turn to speak. Had this ability not existed, I guarantee you this debate would've much more closely resembled what we saw last month. The credit is owed not to Trump, but to the Commission on Presidential Debates and debate moderator Kristen Welker for forcing this debate to resemble the standard PBS style. In point of fact it's a miracle we even got a second debate considering that the sitting president withdrew from last week's debate, thereby cancelling it. As much is pretty ironic considering that it was Trump and the Republicans who just spent the whole summer demanding that the Biden team agree to additional debates beyond the usual three and warning that Joe Biden would surely pull out of the existing ones at that. The sheer hypocrisy cannot be overstated, and serves as really a microcosm of the sort of projecting that so many conservative orators against cancel culture engage in.

Speaking of, Trump withdrew from last week's debate officially because it would've been virtual, but in reality because key members of his debate prep team were sick with covid at the time, in case you can't figure out what the actual reasoning was. The actual truth there, problematically, tends to undermine Trump's message that there's nothing to this covid situation and everything is fine. He reiterated at Thursday's debate how we're "rounding the curve". It must be the longest curve on Earth (perhaps shaped something like this), considering that the nation immediately thereafter recorded a record single-day case load for new coronavirus infections: more than 83,000 new cases in one day were confirmed yesterday, the day after Trump's reassurance at the debate.

Anyway, no, Trump will not be re-elected. That matter is pretty well settled now, I firmly believe. He will instead fall into the fairly rare category of sitting presidents who both survived long enough to serve a second term and failed to win re-election after seeking one. Just three other American presidents have accomplished such a feat in the last century: Herbert Hoover, Jimmy Carter, and George Bush Sr.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 24 October 2020

An interesting little tidbit.

Around the Network

ERB made again a Rap Battle between the two presidential candidates. And this one is certainly much better than the one from 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkGK7bitav0

Hi, European user here. I don't understand all that much about American elections, but from what I've heard you need to register first to vote, and the number of people who actually vote is quite low. I've seen a lot of American celebrities almost begging people to register for voting.

I was wondering, is there any desire or discussion among Americans to make voting mandatory, or at least to get rid of the registration? It just seems to discourage people from actually taking the effort to vote.

Flilix said:
Hi, European user here. I don't understand all that much about American elections, but from what I've heard you need to register first to vote, and the number of people who actually vote is quite low. I've seen a lot of American celebrities almost begging people to register for voting.

I was wondering, is there any desire or discussion among Americans to make voting mandatory, or at least to get rid of the registration? It just seems to discourage people from actually taking the effort to vote.

Definitely talk about making registration automatic for anyone with a social security card. I think Hillary Clinton was proposing that before the 2016 election.

The issue is you have one party who knows they don't win the popular vote, so they do everything they can to make things a bit more difficult as they know that'll disproportionately affect demographics that aren't as likely to vote for them. Like this year you have republican governors restricting ballot drop boxes to one per county. That fucks over urban counties with much higher populations far more than it does rural counties with lower populations. 

Torillian said:
Flilix said:

Definitely talk about making registration automatic for anyone with a social security card. I think Hillary Clinton was proposing that before the 2016 election.

The issue is you have one party who knows they don't win the popular vote, so they do everything they can to make things a bit more difficult as they know that'll disproportionately affect demographics that aren't as likely to vote for them. Like this year you have republican governors restricting ballot drop boxes to one per county. That fucks over urban counties with much higher populations far more than it does rural counties with lower populations. 

Well, there's hope the GOP is growing weaker and weaker now. Their membership numbers have dropped a lot over the last decades and now have a third less members compared to the democratic party (32M to 45M), even less than registered independent voters (33M). By comparison both parties were at around 55M members each in 2000, with a slight advantage to the democrats.

This will soon become untenable even with these voter elimination tactics, and so they'll have to change course sometime soon unless they want to fade and get replaced by another party like the Whigs did before them.

Trump has always been Trump, but I can't get over how rabid and fanatical his base has become. Listen to the crowd of American citizens; they are frothing at the mouth to lock up literally anyone they disagree with. It's unhinged. This has to end.

I can only hope this is the dying scream of an ending era in American politics, but I really do worry about the violence that could erupt if they don't get their way.