By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Presidential Election Thread

sundin13 said:
gergroy said:
I just watched the interview, and I do have to say, stahl was being terrible to trump. I’m no fan of trump by any means, but the whole time she is just basically attacking him. That really isn’t anyway to interview somebody. I think it is crazy that trump still has no answer for what he wants to do with his second term yet... how does he still not have an answer for that!?

I mean, Trump has done and said a lot of shit that he should be questioned on, and when he inevitably doesn't answer, his feet should be held to the fire. I think that the interviewer did a poor job, but by no means should we see Trump as a victim of anything other than his own idiocy. 

Very true, but trump also has a point that a lot of the media doesn’t hold Biden to the same level of accountability.  If you look at the over 40 years in politics, Biden has done a lot of crap.  He should be getting some of these tough question interviews too.  

Mostly though, I just think the interviewer did a bad job.  I think she obviously had no idea how to approach trump.  She almost immediately started interrupting him before he could even finish his thought, almost like she was trying to debate him.  I think she was just trying to get clips of him flustered.  

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

Republicans have had 10 years to come up with something better than the ACA, and have provided nothing. And the ACA is an incredibly not extreme healthcare plan.

The party has little to offer besides "Grrrrrrr... liberals bad!"

Republicans are now Red Scare: The Party

Polling for today is same old same old.

Biden is down slightly, .1%. 

ABD/TIPP has Biden at a 4.5% lead now, so it seems like their 2% poll was perhaps a bit of an aberration. Still below the average though.

Time has a poll in Kansas showing Trump up by 7 in Kansas... which is pretty bad. Trump won the state by 21% in 2016. Really shouldn't be close. Similarly they have him up by 8 in South Carolina, another state that should really be a double digit lead. 

Washington post has Biden up by 11 in Virginia. Clinton won by 5. We're seeing a similar shift in red and blue states. Morning consult has Biden up by 16 in Colorado, where Clinton won by 5. 

Morning consult has Biden up by 7 in Florida, continuing a trend of good results there.

There are a few bright spots for Trump though. Morning consult has him up by 1 in Arizona, the first time in a while he's been shown to be ahead there. Rasmussen and Trafalgar show leads in North Carolina and Michigan respectively. The latter two pollsters have already been discussed, so take their results as you will.

Compared to 2016, this is around the time Hillary started declining, but we're not seeing that this time around. It's hard to see what would change the election. The Hunter Biden story didn't seem to do it. It's hard to imagine they're sitting on anything bigger, because if they were, they'd surely have released it before people already voted. About 1/3 of people who will vote have done so already, and more of Biden's supporters have already done so. The more people vote early, the less anything can change.

The biggest opportunity for Trump is tonight. The debate and its format presents opportunities. Trump won't be mic'd during Biden's time, but this means that Trump can potentially be interrupting and distracting Biden when we can't hear it, making him seem flummoxed for no reason (unless the cameras show both candidates which they probably should). Alternatively, the image of Trump yelling when nobody can hear him may be even worse then when he can. Or, maybe Trump will actually just shut up when it's not his time to speak.

Trump will undoubtedly bring up Hunter Biden, and we'll see how Biden handles it. He might attack Giuliani's credibility, which is a bit easier today than a few days ago, he might try to ignore it as though it's too ridiculous to respond to, he might try to lump it together with other conspiracy theories Trump deals in. I still don't think the story is a huge deal, but Biden has a chance to respond and could either add gas to it, or smother it. Personally, I think the best option is to bring it up proactively. It's going to come up, so might as well take the opportunity and frame it as you want. 

It's hard to see Biden make a gaffe big enough to sway things, because he really hasn't so far. The worst thing he said was the "you ain't black comment". Which was dumb but not really didn't make much of an impact. Other than that, he really hasn't done much to give credence to the narrative the Trump campaign has been trying to run with. He's actually been pretty sharp.

And the comparison of the two speaking uninterrupted may help Biden. Biden can and does give specific policy details... often way more detail than anyone wants. Trump gives rants. In the first debate, Biden couldn't speak interrupted, and fell to Trump's level. Biden could potentially rise to the level of "Presidential" and Trump really can't get there.

We'll see what happens. All signs point to this debate changing nothing and Biden winning, but in 2020 nothing can be taken for granted.

So what are we expecting from this debate? More chaos and talking over each other? Does it really matter? Not sure I know anybody that is still undecided...

gergroy said:
So what are we expecting from this debate? More chaos and talking over each other? Does it really matter? Not sure I know anybody that is still undecided...

Hopefully at least not that again, as they can mute the mics now...

Around the Network
gergroy said:

I expect Trump to spent a lot of time complaining that he can't talk over Biden.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
gergroy said:

Hopefully at least not that again, as they can mute the mics now...

Yeah, but only for about 1/3 of the time... the other 2/3rds of the debate are gonna be a free for all...

Trump seems much more restrained, it would be nice if he was like this all the time.

This debate is better for Trump than Biden. Not saying Trump won it but he's made somengood points against Biden and the winner isn't as obvious as last debate.

jason1637 said:
This debate is better for Trump than Biden. Not saying Trump won it but he's made somengood points against Biden and the winner isn't as obvious as last debate.

Biden was way stronger than the first debate though. Trump didn't self destruct, but Biden had a strong debate.

Overall, I highly doubt that it will change anything.