By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Presidential Election Thread

jason1637 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

For all those who wonder what Kayne West's political positions are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanye_West_2020_presidential_campaign#Political_positions

So pretty standard Republican stuff apart from being against the death penalty and supporting a more sustainable, environment-friendly economy.

He wants to give people land. If he uses that as one of his main policies he has my vote.

Dude, it’s freaking Kanye West.  Married to Kim kardashian.  This would be like Trump on steroids times 100.  He has no business running a military, being a diplomat, or having any kind of responsibility over peoples lives.  It is your vote and you can do what you want with it... I just wish people would put more thought into stuff like this.  Presidential candidates are more than just the issues they run on.  Especially since 90% of the issues they run on have nothing to do with their jobs and more to do with the legislative branch of government.  

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:

I'm just amused Kanye's decided his party will be called the Birthday Party.

Ka-pi96 said:

Isn't that a good thing?

Maybe it's just because I'm not American, but personally I wouldn't want anybody with a military mindset leading the country.

The majority of United States presidents have had a military background of one type or another.  Matter of fact, from 1945-1993 every president served in World War II in one capacity or another.  They almost made it to the 21st century as Bob Dole, the final WWII candidate, lost in 1996.

It's been a recent shift that military service has become such a low priority among the electorate.  In the 1990s, Bill Clinton had to face questions about his lack of military service in the Vietnam era.  As recently as the 2000s, 4 of the 5 people nominated for president by the major parties served in the military (Obama being the lone exception).

It's actually served the nation pretty well I think.  If you've been in the military, you've presumably learned discipline and leadership.  If you've been a commander, you have real-life experience making consequential life-and-death decisions.

I don't disagree with anything in your post.  I just want to offer a explanation for the shift in thinking.  For most of our history almost everyone knew someone that have serve in the military but after 1973 when our military became volunteer that started to shift and human nature is when you not expose at a personal level to all the great people in the military, unfortunately people start conflicting Military policy (which made by politicians) to the people who actually serving.

I am a civilian and never served my self but I been lucky enough in my job to work along side many people who have served and I completely believe we would have been in less not more conflicts over the last couple decades if people who have experience military conflicts first hand was in charge.  Let not forgot it was the only general who ever been president Eisenhower that warned against the military industrial complex.  

SpokenTruth said:
OK. I was diplomatic before.

Stop talking about Kanye. He's not a candidate.

i actually believe you are being a little to hasty concerning your opinion of Kanye presidency run.  The reason I say this is that as one poster showed, his run basically could be a ploy to split the black vote or give an avenue for people who dislike both GOP and Dems candidates someone to vote for even though the chances of of him willing is extremely slim.  The key point I am looking at here is who will he siphon votes from if he actually register as a candidate.  Will he be able to garner enough votes to go on a debate with Trump and Biden and will he raise up enough money to actually have any advertisements on a national level.  Right now, those questions probably will be no for each case but who knows, with the right backing and money it would be interesting to see what the outcome will be.  If Kanye could get the young vote, maybe split the black vote or reduce it enough, it could give Trump back the edge he needs which could be the plan.

Feels like 2016 all over again. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Its up to you guys in the US. The world is at stake. Choose wisely

coolbeans said:
KLXVER said:

I think it goes without saying a Yeezus/Candance Owens ticket will win over all US VGChartz members.

But what side is she really on huh,will her rhetoric now be the same in a year and does her flexibility involve honest feelings to fight for what is best for the people or what is best for herself? :P

Well yeah i might need to watch some recent debates and interviews with her to get a better opinion cause it has been some years.

Around the Network
coolbeans said:
KLXVER said:

I think it goes without saying a Yeezus/Candance Owens ticket will win over all US VGChartz members.

lol Not sure about that one. I would love to see Larry Elder run though.

I just want to say Biden has my vote, I don't really like him as a candidate but he's better than the alternative.

Here's something mildly interesting that is presidential: a swath of anti-Trump Republicans are attempting to rally Republican voters to support Joe Biden in this election. It's not too shocking really, as anti-Trump Republicans have always been a small phenom that has existed since the 2016 nominating contest, but in 2016 they didn't endorse a candidate. This time around, it looks like they are. The article points to some evidence that such efforts could make a difference at the margins. For example:

"According to recent New York Times/Siena College polling, 6% of voters in six crucial battleground states who backed Trump in 2016 say there's "not really any chance" they'll back him again this November. Another 2% say they don't support Trump, but they're not sure if they'll vote for his reelection."

It elaborates later on the specific demography that's being primarily argeted by these groups:

"There's a decent chunk of those white college-educated voters who support [GOP] policies, they support the tax cuts, but you know, they wouldn't be crazy about President Trump demanding an apology from Bubba Wallace this week," said McHenry, referring to the Black NASCAR driver Trump singled out on Twitter.

Not once in the last 50 years have college-educated white Americans voted to elect a Democrat president. Yet in the 2017 off-year elections, the 2018 midterm elections, and the 2019 off-year elections, this group voted for Democrats overall. I think this new trend could very well persist into this fall's presidential election specifically because it's being driven by Trump. Every effort to aid this trajectory, including by more moderate Republicans, is welcome as far as I'm concerned!

I've observed Trump to be losing support among all demographic groups over time except for white working class men. That is the only group in this country that's still just as enthused for him today as four years ago. The current moving average of polls has Biden leading by 8.8 percentage points overall.

The particular combination of attack ads the Trump campaign has put out against Joe Biden lately is pretty amusing. Take your pick:

Will a Joe Biden presidency be so dangerously soft on crime as to destroy American civilization...

...OR will it instead be too tough on crime in a white chauvinist way? #BlackLivesMatter #MyAfricanAmerican #ShitHoleCountries

You have admit it's at least chuckle-worthy that the Trump campaign is running on both of these polar opposite, directly contradictory messages about his rival at the same time. It's the perfect encapsulation of the second-term program Trump is running on: nothing.

Jaicee said:

The particular combination of attack ads the Trump campaign has put out against Joe Biden lately is pretty amusing. Take your pick:

Will a Joe Biden presidency be so dangerously soft on crime as to destroy American civilization...

...OR will it instead be too tough on crime in a white chauvinist way? #BlackLivesMatter #MyAfricanAmerican #ShitHoleCountries

You have admit it's at least chuckle-worthy that the Trump campaign is running on both of these polar opposite, directly contradictory messages about his rival at the same time. It's the perfect encapsulation of the second-term program Trump is running on: nothing.

That’s pretty much Trump in a nutshell.  No cohesive plan or strategy, just keeping throwing stuff out there until something sticks, and then hammer away it... we need a new president...