By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Presidential Election Thread

He seems fairly healthy so far. Maybe the move is more about experimental treatments than the severity of his symptoms.

Around the Network
TallSilhouette said:

He seems fairly healthy so far. Maybe the move is more about experimental treatments than the severity of his symptoms.

I don't thing you try experimental treatment on a president that is fairly healthy.

EpicRandy said:

I don't thing you try experimental treatment on a president that is fairly healthy.

Especially when we're 1 month away from Election Day.

EricHiggin said:
Machiavellian said:

The thing is Trump has many different answers to this question that can be played multiple times. Since he never stick to one concise statement it will just show him trying to play the middle.  The thing is when giving the opportunity he not only did not condemn them but he also have that statement "Standby".  That will be the slogan used countless times especially since he has told him followers to go to polls looking for suspicious people and other nonsense.  As political strategy goes, he doesn't have to convince his base, playing to just his base does not get him reelected.  We can argue this point but lets see how things shake out in the next few weeks.  After the debate no polls changed so that was a wash but for Biden any wash is great.  Now that Trump has CORVID, there will be no 3 debates so that was fortunate for the President in my opinion.

Well "standby" in general just means be ready. If Trump told the military to stand by, after mentioning some other nation was the threat, it would clearly mean just be prepared to defend the country. That in no way means be aggressive and cause violence, it means only be violent if we're attacked. His Proud Boys statement at the debate meant the same thing. If you want to think it meant go cause trouble, then I think you don't understand the language all that well, especially Trumps use of it here, or I'd guess you're being dishonest. (You in general, not you in particular fyi). While that could mean if the radical left caused violence, the right could fight back, I wouldn't see the problem there either. The President isn't going to tell the people, 'if you get attacked or feel the need to defend yourself, don't resort to violence, just take a beating and die if you have to'. Imagine if he gave that order to the troops. The right to defend yourself is a big deal period, especially in America.

What do you think the definition of being prepared to defend the election would mean to a group that the FBI consider a extremist hate group?  Do you think a hate group can fairly judge when a election is under attack and when it would be appropriate to step in to defend it?  There a reason many people in the group now using it as there slogan.  The president of the united states should not be telling a hate group to do anything other then disband.

The best defense is trump was just throwing out none sense and there was no intent on his choice of language but the idea that telling a hate group to stand by is appropriate seem insane to me. You walking on dangerous waters when you telling a hate group to be ready to do anything.

Cyran said:
EricHiggin said:

Well "standby" in general just means be ready. If Trump told the military to stand by, after mentioning some other nation was the threat, it would clearly mean just be prepared to defend the country. That in no way means be aggressive and cause violence, it means only be violent if we're attacked. His Proud Boys statement at the debate meant the same thing. If you want to think it meant go cause trouble, then I think you don't understand the language all that well, especially Trumps use of it here, or I'd guess you're being dishonest. (You in general, not you in particular fyi). While that could mean if the radical left caused violence, the right could fight back, I wouldn't see the problem there either. The President isn't going to tell the people, 'if you get attacked or feel the need to defend yourself, don't resort to violence, just take a beating and die if you have to'. Imagine if he gave that order to the troops. The right to defend yourself is a big deal period, especially in America.

What do you think the definition of being prepared to defend the election would mean to a group that the FBI consider a extremist hate group?  Do you think a hate group can fairly judge when a election is under attack and when it would be appropriate to step in to defend it?  There a reason many people in the group now using it as there slogan.  The president of the united states should not be telling a hate group to do anything other then disband.

The best defense is trump was just throwing out none sense and there was no intent on his choice of language but the idea that telling a hate group to stand by is appropriate seem insane to me. You walking on dangerous waters when you telling a hate group to be ready to do anything.

Going to be honest, Trump's rhetoric was a huge threat to American democracy and I am happy as fuck that he probably won't be able to use the next month to stir the his base into a frenzy. I would have been just as happy if that happened due to him deciding to behave like a rational human being. Now he has an excuse he can use to save face if he pulls through and loses, so hopefully he'll stop trying to incite people.

Around the Network
Cyran said:
EricHiggin said:

Do you think the Prez condemning a hate group will really change their minds if they're that lost and can't reason? The Prez considers Antifa a terrorist group and yet his opponent and the FBI think, 'it's just an idea', so no big deal, no reason to condemn it. Isn't supremacy, just an idea as well?

When a certain group of individuals needs to be reminded not to cheer for the Presidents demise because he's ill, that should be all you need to know about hate groups, their beliefs, who they listen to, and how they react regardless. Seeing some of the reactions, clearly unreasonable people just don't listen or learn.

EricHiggin said:
Cyran said:

Do you think the Prez condemning a hate group will really change their minds if they're that lost and can't reason? The Prez considers Antifa a terrorist group and yet his opponent and the FBI think, 'it's just an idea', so no big deal, no reason to condemn it. Isn't supremacy, just an idea as well?

When a certain group of individuals needs to be reminded not to cheer for the Presidents demise because he's ill, that should be all you need to know about hate groups, their beliefs, who they listen to, and how they react regardless. Seeing some of the reactions, clearly unreasonable people just don't listen or learn.

I think even if it symbolic it better to condemn a hate groups rather then offer language they find supportive.  Also if he had just answered the original question by saying "I condemn all hate groups including white supremist groups"  that would of been the end of it.  remember he was the one that asked for the specific group to condemn then failed to do so.  It not rocket science it just it seem every time Trump asked this question he have trouble making the one simple sentence it would require to end it.

As for the rest of your post this about Trump and Biden and I read Biden statement he wished for a quick and full recovery of trump and even pulled off the air negative Ads so where he stand on that topic is clear.

KLXVER said:

He could have done a better job with the virus, sure, but putting the blame solely on him doesnt seem like a very productive argument either.

You act as if he's just another average American who bears merely an equal, but not greater, responsibility for the current covid situation in this country than the average citizen does. No, he's the President of the United States! No one is more responsible for the public policy of this country than that specific individual! He, as such, bears the primary responsibility for the current covid situation in this country. There is no getting around this.

Also, Kellyanne Conway has now tested positive for covid-19 as well.

Jaicee said:
KLXVER said:

He could have done a better job with the virus, sure, but putting the blame solely on him doesnt seem like a very productive argument either.

You act as if he's just another average American who bears merely an equal, but not greater, responsibility for the current covid situation in this country than the average citizen does. No, he's the President of the United States! No one is more responsible for the public policy of this country than that specific individual! He, as such, bears the primary responsibility for the current covid situation in this country. There is no getting around this.

Also, Kellyanne Conway has now tested positive for covid-19 as well.

Whilst I do agree with you that a fair amount of blame should be placed on Trump, I feel like the entire system really wasn't prepared for this at all. Trump's early actions did by no means help this, but the lack of bipartisanship in Congress over the last few months is worrying. You judge the character of a man not when he is at his best, but when they are at their worst, I use this concept for judging most things, and must I say Congress over the last decade or so is absolute crap. What I am getting at is Trump is currently the face for a much larger issue.

Cyran said:
EricHiggin said:

I think even if it symbolic it better to condemn a hate groups rather then offer language they find supportive.  Also if he had just answered the original question by saying "I condemn all hate groups including white supremist groups"  that would of been the end of it.  remember he was the one that asked for the specific group to condemn then failed to do so.  It not rocket science it just it seem every time Trump asked this question he have trouble making the one simple sentence it would require to end it.

As for the rest of your post this about Trump and Biden and I read Biden statement he wished for a quick and full recovery of trump and even pulled off the air negative Ads so where he stand on that topic is clear.

Trump did have the question posed to him, yet you have to also ask yourself, why wasn't similar posed to Biden? Antifa got brought up, but a response of, 'it's just an idea' was acceptable? That ends it right there then, because supremacy is also just an idea. Either you hound both of them for straight answers or you allow both to get away without properly answering. If you don't, you're taking sides and that's not then a fair debate, which is why Trump pointed out he was seemingly debating with the moderator and not Biden at one point.

Biden himself isn't the same as the radical left, everyone knows this. The question about Biden is can he hold them off for 4 or 8 years, considering he's no Trump? Based on what they've done to Trump to try and get their way, will they really stand idly by and let Biden do his own thing? Maybe, maybe not, but are people willing to take that risk, because if they manage to get their way, it's not going to be what the people voted for.

Lastly, if covid doesn't hit Trump that hard overall, this mindset is going to make some of the undecided think twice about voting Dem. Having lefties, radical they may be, cheering for the demise of President during his illness, there's no way that doesn't put a sour taste in undecided voters mouths. For those that come across this, some will likely refrain from voting Dem like they were leaning, and some may decide to vote Rep. Hate is a powerful tool even when used as defense.