By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Staring into the abyss of a world where Nintendo has no games scheduled for release. Edit: The Time of Darkness Has Arrived

boy some of the responses in this thread are hilarious

Around the Network
javi741 said:

And to those people that say this is fine and I need to calm down and I'm expecting too much: FUCK OFF! DONT TELL ME OR OTHERS HOW TO ACT

But...like....isn't that exactly what you're doing...?

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Technically correct, but still oh so wrong, because it's just a re-release of an old game. For the Nintendo hardcore, do you really think a re-release is going to get them excited? They already played that game 7 years ago. Sure, it's nice to own it on Switch, and I'll be double dipping. But this is in no way a replacement for BotW2 or Odyssey 2 or *any* new Nintendo game for that matter.

Heh, this is an ironic comment.  Not only does Nintendo have a game scheduled for release, but more importantly there are still plenty of third party games getting released.  On top of that the eShop seems to have a new sale every couple of weeks, and those sales are a good incentive to try something for a person who is out of games to play.  That is why this complaining about "no games" is kinda nuts.  There are plenty of games. 

People seem to be freaking out, because they are 1) only satisfied by games published by Nintendo, and 2) assume that Nintendo isn't making games, because they haven't announced them in a Direct.  The problem with 1) is that this person will never be satisfied, because Nintendo can only make so many games at one time.  The problem with 2) is that it's just plain wrong.  This thread has been complaining for months that Nintendo isn't releasing any games, while Nintendo keeps announcing games and releasing them.  They just haven't had a big direct.

This thread exists mosty because people like to complain.  Would I like a Direct?  Yes.  In the meantime I can find games to play, and I know Nintendo is working on games even if they don't have a Direct.  And in fact they do occasionally announce new games like Paper Mario or Pikmin, but they just don't announce them in a Direct.

1. Nintendo fans aren't only satisfied with Nintendo games. We've been over this before. Nintendo fans buy lots of 3rd party games. They just want and expect a certain amount of new Nintendo-made games per year. Nintendo fans aren't like MS fans. We expect good, and steady 1st party support for our console.

2. They don't assume Nintendo isn't making games. Of course they are making games. But those games won't be out this year. You keep claiming that Nintendo is releasing games, while missing the entire point. We want new Nintendo-made games.

@Bolded Pikmin isn't new. Paper Mario is a benchwarmer franchise. Paper Mario hasn't been up to the usual Nintendo standards since the Wii era. And even if I were to cut you some slack, and say that Paper Mario is a new Nintendo game, that's only two games this year. It's almost September and it looks like 2020 will be...

Animal Crossing
Paper Mario

and that's it.

500 posts in this thread, 0 announced big Nintendo games for this holiday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:
500 posts in this thread, 0 announced big Nintendo games for this holiday!

quoted for future references

Around the Network

It's still amazing to me that the richest company in Japan keeps its consumers so in the dark. But I guess that's why they do it. They can sit on a mountain of money and continue adding to the pile in most circumstances.
Switch's 2017, while not near-perfect like some claim, was still fantastic. And that is even when you count only the calendar year of 2017 from March 3 to December 31. No year since has matched, but 2019 came closer than any so far. Apparently, COVID-19 has not impacted Nintendo software development. If that's true, I can't believe 2020 is like this so far. 2021 better be a fantastic year for the Switch in terms of hardware availability, first-party games, and third-party games.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

The entertainment value of this thread almost makes the situation slightly worth it.

RolStoppable said:

javi741 said:
Guys this is fucking ridiculous, now it's rumored that there won't be any first party announcement on the 28th or let alone this week, as the Direct Mini Partner Showcase was the direct that was rumored the entire time for this week.

Guys, we need to make sure that Nintendo knows that they should never do this bullshit ever again, where they unveil their Holiday Titles in FUCKING SEPTEMBER, this is completely unacceptable and stupid on their part. They're literally shooting themselves in the foot not marketing these game long enough and not getting us excited for the future to continue to stay engaged with Nintendo. Nintendo is literally making crazy fans make threats towards other people over this, and they literally do not care. I'm so fucking done with their ignorant ass mindset.

And to those people that say this is fine and I need to calm down and I'm expecting too much: FUCK OFF! DONT TELL ME OR OTHERS HOW TO ACT

We have every single right to complain, and Nintendo does owe us something because we're the ones that keep them alive.

Plus, to those people who hate us complaining. Why does it benefit you that Nintendo doesn't reveal anything that's 1-2 from release? Why are you guys trying so hard to stop us from complaining. What could you possibly gain from Nintendo not unveiling anything.

It's because we are old. We are long past the point of getting hyped for anything that is more than two months away from release, that's why late announcements don't bother us. Games we can play right now have much higher priority than talking about games that get released in the future.

What we gain from this situation is entertainment value from posts such as yours. The outrage and subsequent defense for the outrage is a sight to behold. Many of the arguments resemble the time before Switch launched, such as two months aren't enough time to properly market a new console. But Nintendo waited until less than two months before launch with their proper presentation for Switch and that didn't hurt them.

The reason why the current waiting game won't hurt Nintendo either is because there are 20+ new game releases for Switch each and every week. People who want to stay engaged with Switch can choose from hundreds of quality games and there's something new all the time.

That being said, Nintendo's current strategy is less than ideal. But there's a difference between being able to do better and messing things up. There's also a difference between subjective and objective complaints which is why you and others get ridiculed; any attempts to qualify the complaints as objective usually fall flat on their face instantly.

Very well said Rol, I'm also belonging to the old folks and at our age we usually don't have so much time anyway for playing games. Sometimes we are even happy when there's nothing new so we can finally work-down some of our pile of shame or simply buy an older game we missed. Incl. indies, there's more to play than you have time. I personally even like if we still have surprises in our internet and social media age. I actually like late announcements that hit us from nowhere. Nintendo holidays titles release in late October at the earliest, usually in November and December, so an announcement in September is early enough, seriously. Times have changed, it's not necessary anymore to advertise a title months or even a year before release. If you have a big title, the day it is announced, social medias and the internet explode and it continues until release - more than enough advertisement! The mass market doesn't care anyway, often they see new games only if they go to Amazon, Gamestop, etc. and if an upcoming game appears there months ahead of release, they will forget about it anyway in the meantime.

curl-6 said:
Jumpin said:

1. Market cannibalization is a well documented phenomenon. While sometimes it is necessary to disrupt competitors, in cases like the Switch where Nintendo has carved out a very large (and growing) niche for itself, such strategies are not only unnecessary, but just needlessly lowering sales. There is absolutely no reason to draw attention to future products. Sure, you state the concept of market cannibalization is bullshit, but where's your argument?

2. Incorrect on the first point. Covid lockdowns didn't begin until the end of the quarter, Nintendo's sales were way up before that. Additionally, Animal Crossing didn't come out until the end of the quarter, and its continued success does not support your point, it supports mine; Nintendo's current strategy is a good one.

3. I've already addressed this. Nintendo has released a fairly continuous stream of info, only it is focused on relevant products rather than focusing on ones that won't be relevant for months/years - like they did in the failing Wii U era.

4. Nintendo's quarterly report was announced for August 6th quite some time ago. You can speculate all you want about what Nintendo's announcements are going to be, and put a negative spin on it all you want, but the only conclusion we can draw from it is that you're a very negative person who prefers to argue with straw man arguments rather than engaging with the facts available.

New software announcements increases interest in the hardware, more hardware sales means more people to buy existing games. The idea that updating consumers on future games would hurt sales of existing games is pure bullshit.

Again, I don't give a fuck if they're selling well, that is happening in spite of their ongoing disgusting mistreatment of their fanbase, not because of it. There is zero evidence whatsoever that their lack of communication is in any way helping.

I've been a Nintendo fan for decades and this is the worst they've ever behaved, worse than 2011, worse than 2012, worse than 2016 even. It is fucking unacceptable to leave fans with no dated major games at all.

If you're okay with it, fine, but don't you dare try to tell me I should be okay with it.

In fact, just please stop quoting me, I'm tired of this shit. I'm trying not to be negative, but I just keep getting dragged back into threads like this. I'm depressed, I'm afraid for my life every day, and now I can't even enjoy my favourite hobby, one of the only things that brings me any peace or joy. Just leave me alone, please.

I’ll respond to whoever I want. That’s the point of a discussion forum. You can ignore me if you want, but I am under no obligation to do the same when you’ve provided me something to respond to. Also, you’re the one being overly hostile to me for no reason, but treating me as though it is the other way around.

Dismissing the evidence in my post as “it’s happening in spite of that, I don’t care about the facts, and therefore you have no evidence, and therefore the opposite of what you’re saying is true” is not a valid argument in the slightest.

You are acting like Nintendo owes you some specific kind of marketing strategy that goes against their business goals. The point of the marketing is to generate the most interest in products for the launch period and beyond, that is all Nintendo has to do. Unless you’re an investor, there is absolutely nothing that obligates Nintendo to provide you their future plans. You are a customer, what is relevant is what is available for you to buy. The reality is that you do have things to look forward to, there is no reason for you to know your Christmas presents before Christmas Day in order to look forward to Christmas.

Also, your opinion of “Nintendo is more terrible than ever” doesn’t have objective validity. At best you can say you don’t like what Nintendo is doing. All you’ve really shown is that what you think is terrible for Nintendo is actually GREAT for for Nintendo’s business - that’s where the facts point; and you can’t simply prove the opposite by saying “they’re good in spite of that and the results don’t matter” - that would be literally circular illogic.

I’ll point out that you have a long history of saying that what Nintendo is doing with the Switch is terrible for business, and  that dates back to before the Switch launch. This is where the contention lies, because I wholeheartedly disagree with you on that. As it happens, the facts support my stance and not yours. That Nintendo’s approach in the Kimishima/Furukawa era have been the best they’ve had: platform specific sales are higher than ever, they recovered from one of their lowest ever periods in the Wii U/3DS era; the stock values are on a stable upward trend and are higher than every period outside of September 2007 to January 2008; and, it’s not simply a COVID thing since Nintendo’s sales were already trending here long before COVID with the quarter just prior to the pandemic lockdowns being 97% of record levels for any Nintendo platform, ever.

There are two choices here:

1. Provide evidence to explain the discrepancy between what you think should be happening with the Switch, and the reality of what has happened with the Switch.

2. Accept the facts and face reality as the result of Nintendo’s current marketing strategy.

Before you do that, you should also understand that you are letting your feelings get in the way of your objectivity and therefore generating a huge bias. As a result, you are making baseless statements about Nintendo as a whole as though they are objectively doing something terrible.

Also, you have my sympathies for depression, but I don’t think it’s fair to throw that in my face to support your arguments about Nintendo’s marketing practices. My posts are about the topic, they’re not about you and your problems.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

RolStoppable said:
javi741 said:
Guys this is fucking ridiculous, now it's rumored that there won't be any first party announcement on the 28th or let alone this week, as the Direct Mini Partner Showcase was the direct that was rumored the entire time for this week.

Guys, we need to make sure that Nintendo knows that they should never do this bullshit ever again, where they unveil their Holiday Titles in FUCKING SEPTEMBER, this is completely unacceptable and stupid on their part. They're literally shooting themselves in the foot not marketing these game long enough and not getting us excited for the future to continue to stay engaged with Nintendo. Nintendo is literally making crazy fans make threats towards other people over this, and they literally do not care. I'm so fucking done with their ignorant ass mindset.

We have every single right to complain, and Nintendo does owe us something because we're the ones that keep them alive.

Plus, to those people who hate us complaining. Why does it benefit you that Nintendo doesn't reveal anything that's 1-2 from release? Why are you guys trying so hard to stop us from complaining. What could you possibly gain from Nintendo not unveiling anything.

It's because we are old. We are long past the point of getting hyped for anything that is more than two months away from release, that's why late announcements don't bother us. Games we can play right now have much higher priority than talking about games that get released in the future.

What we gain from this situation is entertainment value from posts such as yours. The outrage and subsequent defense for the outrage is a sight to behold. Many of the arguments resemble the time before Switch launched, such as two months aren't enough time to properly market a new console. But Nintendo waited until less than two months before launch with their proper presentation for Switch and that didn't hurt them.

The reason why the current waiting game won't hurt Nintendo either is because there are 20+ new game releases for Switch each and every week. People who want to stay engaged with Switch can choose from hundreds of quality games and there's something new all the time.

That being said, Nintendo's current strategy is less than ideal. But there's a difference between being able to do better and messing things up. There's also a difference between subjective and objective complaints which is why you and others get ridiculed; any attempts to qualify the complaints as objective usually fall flat on their face instantly.

Excellent post!

I don’t really have anything to add, but wanted to call this out.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.