By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: Xbox "Lockhart" specs leaked, is $300

shikamaru317 said:
goopy20 said:

What makes you think going from 4 to 6 Tflops will result in only slightly better looking games? The Xone had about 30% less Tflops than the ps4 and we've seen games running in 1080p on ps4 vs 720p on Xone. Just imagine what the difference would be if that's 300% less Tflops. A 1080p game on ps5 would be running in 540p on Series S. Would that really be worth saving $100 or $200 over?

If I'm right and the lowest resolution PS5 and XSX games we see this gen are at around 1800p, XSS will be able to manage 900p on those same games with about the same graphics settings. 

Have you played GOW on PS4Pro upscaled from 1440p? It's stunning and crystal clear experience. I have no idea why developers would ignore this resolution with even better upscalling in future. AAA games always push the visual bar, this will not change. It's also why dynamic resolution is so common nowadays. Anyway enough speculation from me on this thread, we will see what happens:

1. Whether the the Lockhart even releases.
2. If it releases at these specs.
3. How developers balance hardware resources in terms of graphics quality & FX/resolution/fps once the current generation is left behind and we're no longer just playing current gen games on max settings at 4k, 60fps.

Around the Network

It would be a good move to make. I think the sweet price point for the XSX is $499, but $599 is a possibility. Offering a cheaper alternating for $300 would go a long way.

goopy20 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

This is why TFlops can be deceiving.

1. XBO X has 6TFlops, very similar to an RX 580. An RX 5500 has only 4.8 TFlops, but slightly higher performance than a RX 580. And that's the 4GB RX 5500 version, which gets choked by it's lack of VRAM. In other words, at 4.x TFlops Lockhart would still get about One X GPU performance - and would get much stronger CPU performance. More on that below.

2. XBO X gets choked by the weak CPU, especially when it comes to higher framerates. The CPU is one of the reasons why this Gen was almost always locked to 30 FPS, as the CPU made it impossible to reach 60 in many times. Hence also the obsession with 4K when gamers were asking for higher FPS. This limitation would be gone with Lockhart, allowing the player to choose between better graphics and higher FPS.

3. There are diminishing returns for more performance. Reaching 6 TFlops for instance would mostly be only slightly better looking, but certainly much more expensive to produce.

4. At that price, it would allow Microsoft to cash in those who are strapped for cash for a bigger console yet deliver One X visuals. This could hurt Sony much more than you seem to imagine, as the early life is crucial for the future of the console.

What makes you think going from 4 to 6 Tflops will result in only slightly better looking games? The Xone had about 30% less Tflops than the ps4 and we've seen games running in 1080p on ps4 vs 720p on Xone. Just imagine what the difference would be if that's 300% less Tflops. A 1080p game on ps5 would be running in 540p on Series S. Would that really be worth saving $100 or $200 over?

When an XBO game ran in 720p, then the PS4 title generally ran in 900p, not 1080p. After all, 1080p is twice as large as 720p, but the PS4 ain't twice as strong as the XBO.

Those 30% more TFlops would get pretty expensive. Just look at the current AMD GPUs: The RX 5500 and RX 5600 are at 4.8 TFlops and 6 TFlops respectively, yet the price difference is over $100. And It's not just the price of the chip: The cooling can be much weaker and smaller and cheaper, and thus also the casing, making the console overall also cheaper to produce.

You don't seem to understand what compromises need to be made for a modern console to reach a $300 pricepoint. The big consoles will be sold at a massive loss  since they are coming with over 12 TFlops and an 8-core CPU. An RX 5700XT, currently the strongest AMD GPU, clocks in at just 9 TFlops and yet costs about $400, the Ryzen 7 3700X costs about $300. AMD doesn't need the console money nearly as badly anymore as they did for the current gen and thus will also ask higher prices for their hardware.

Granted, the prices will be much lower than retail prices, but for CPU and GPU alone I expect at least $500 from AMD, if not even $600 considering the expected size of that GPU chip The raytracing part of the NVidia RTX takes about 90 mm2. Add those to the size of the chip that's needed to reach 12+ TFlops on RDNA at reduced clock speeds (done to reduce wear and extend the life of the chip and it's cooler), and you'll reach around 500mm2, which gets pretty expensive to produce. And at 7nm they can't go very much lower either without risking not covering production costs.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
goopy20 said:

When an XBO game ran in 720p, then the PS4 title generally ran in 900p, not 1080p. After all, 1080p is twice as large as 720p, but the PS4 ain't twice as strong as the XBO.

Those 30% more TFlops would get pretty expensive. Just look at the current AMD GPUs: The RX 5500 and RX 5600 are at 4.8 TFlops and 6 TFlops respectively, yet the price difference is over $100. And It's not just the price of the chip: The cooling can be much weaker and smaller and cheaper, and thus also the casing, making the console overall also cheaper to produce.

You don't seem to understand what compromises need to be made for a modern console to reach a $300 pricepoint. The big consoles will be sold at a massive loss  since they are coming with over 12 TFlops and an 8-core CPU. An RX 5700XT, currently the strongest AMD GPU, clocks in at just 9 TFlops and yet costs about $400, the Ryzen 7 3700X costs about $300. AMD doesn't need the console money nearly as badly anymore as they did for the current gen and thus will also ask higher prices for their hardware.

Granted, the prices will be much lower than retail prices, but for CPU and GPU alone I expect at least $500 from AMD, if not even $600 considering the expected size of that GPU chip The raytracing part of the NVidia RTX takes about 90 mm2. Add those to the size of the chip that's needed to reach 12+ TFlops on RDNA at reduced clock speeds (done to reduce wear and extend the life of the chip and it's cooler), and you'll reach around 500mm2, which gets pretty expensive to produce. And at 7nm they can't go very much lower either without risking not covering production costs.

We already got Daniel Ahmad estimative that seems to have been validated that PS5 cost to build is 450 and XSX 460-510. That would leave marketing, logistic and small margin for sellers. So PS5 and X1X could both be sold below 500 with some loss from platform holder.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Nu-13 said:
goopy20 said:

Not the same games. Most x1 games ran at 900p vs 1080p on ps4. If there were any 720p games on x1, those were likely 900p on ps4.

There are a lot of games running at 720p on Xone vs 1080p on ps4 and not just the games that came out later on in this console generation, for example: COD Ghosts, MGS5, Pro Evolution 2015, Golf Club. Also a lot of exclusives like Quantum Break, Titanfall, Dead Rising 3 and even Halo 4 & 5 were 720p... The funny thing is that some of you commenting probably own a Xone and never even realized you've been playing games at almost the same resolution as the 360. It's because it wasn't a deal breaker for the Xone and not having native 4k isn't going to be a deal breaker next gen either.

There's just no way developers are going to sacrifice overall visual fidelity and things like Ray Tracing over just a bump in resolution. They won't, because most people don't care about resolution. They care about the overall graphic fidelity that's being displayed on their tv, which they're sitting 13ft away from. 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 12 March 2020

Around the Network
goopy20 said:

300% less? So Lockhart will have minus 200 percent performance compared to the PS5?

Conina said:
goopy20 said:

300% less? So Lockhart will have minus 200 percent performance compared to the PS5?

Err.. well let me see. 9.2 Tflops divided by 4 Tflops = 2.3 times more powerful. That's quite a difference from the 0,3 Tflops edge the ps4 has over the Xone, which already resulted in games running at 1080p vs 720p.

Like I said, a game targeting 1080p on ps5 would run in 540p on Series S, effectively making it look like Mine Craft on a 55inch tv.

goopy20 said:
Nu-13 said:

Not the same games. Most x1 games ran at 900p vs 1080p on ps4. If there were any 720p games on x1, those were likely 900p on ps4.

There are a lot of games running at 720p on Xone vs 1080p on ps4 and not just the games that came out later on in this console generation, for example: COD Ghosts, MGS5, Pro Evolution 2015, Golf Club. Also a lot of exclusives like Quantum Break, Titanfall, Dead Rising 3 and even Halo 4 & 5 were 720p... The funny thing is that some of you commenting probably own a Xone and never even realized you've been playing games at almost the same resolution as the 360. It's because it wasn't a deal breaker for the Xone and not having native 4k isn't going to be a deal breaker next gen either.

MGS5 on Xbox One wasn't 720p, it was 900p: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-metal-gear-solid-5-phantom-pain-face-off

Quantum Break on Xbox One wasn't 720p, it was the reconstruction of several 720p pictures to get the perception of a higher resolution: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-quantum-break-tech-analysis

Halo 4 on Xbox One wasn't 720p, it was 1080p: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-02-digital-foundry-hands-on-with-halo-the-master-chief-collection

Halo 5 on Xbox One wasn't 720p, it was dynamic resolution with the range 810p - 1080p: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-halo-5-on-xbox-one-x-is-the-way-its-meant-to-be-played

Last edited by Conina - on 12 March 2020

Radek said:
Otter said:

This is like saying there are snes games that run at 60fps, why would you expect any less from a PS4 game?

Native 4k is not a necessity for a crisp image, the same way 60fps is not a requirement for smooth gameplay. Many developers will opt for more impactful visuals over the highest possible resolution. A more important question you should be asking is why red dead redemption 2 doesn't run at 1080p on base Xbox One and PS4? 

Use that to extrapolate on how developers will use the power of next gen systems when they are the "base" platforms instead of looking at what res the game was able to hit on a $500 system released 4 years after the generation began. 

What an odd thing to say... did you just suggest graphical leap from PS4 to PS5 is going to be as big as from SNES to PS4? I expect graphical leap from PS4 to PS5 to be similar as PS3 to PS4 was, which to many wasn't huge, but barely decent.

If that's about 60 fps on SNES, then You better compare Super Mario World to MGS V Phantom Pain, a game that runs at 1080p 60 fps on base PS4.

Did you really just say PS5 that is at least 5-6 times more powerful as base PS4 will run games at the same 1080p resolution as ancient PS4?

Once again 90% of PS5 games will run anywhere from 3200x1800 to 3840x2160, just like Xbox One X games has been doing for 2 years.

Lol, no to all of this.

1. Where did I say PS5 will run games at 1080p in my comment?
2. my point is regarding this sentence:"RDR2 on Xbox One X is native 4K, why would I expect anything less than 4K from 2020 8K capable console?" 

but I've wasted too much energy repeating myself on this topic so enjoy your day.

goopy20 said:
Conina said:

Err.. well let me see. 9.2 Tflops divided by 4 Tflops = 2.3 times more powerful. That's quite a difference from the 0,3 Tflops edge the ps4 has over the Xone, which already resulted in games running at 1080p vs 720p.

Like I said, a game targeting 1080p on ps5 would run in 540p on Series S, effectively making it look like Mine Craft on a 55inch tv.

Saying 66% weaker or having 33% of the power would be fine. The problem was you saying 300% weaker.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."