By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: Xbox "Lockhart" specs leaked, is $300

DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

But even on PS4, God of War could have been a larger scale game. Every area you go to could have been a massive environment with tons more to do and explore. However, that might get in the way of the core game they're trying to make. Essentially putting resources into side content that often just feels like boring filler.

I think GoW was exactly the game they were trying to make, more story and gameplay focused.

I agree, but I believe the experience would be inferior both in graphics and content (as you said filler), most open world games feel empty. So for the game to keep most of its important values they would need much higher specs.

That is all speculation of course and I wouldn't change the game anyway.

They could keep the same level of graphics even with bigger environments. Much of that is streamed in and broken into sections as you slowly traverse through the world. The early area in the game when you see the serpent of the sea is one of the biggest areas of the game. It kinda demonstrates what the engine can do, but creating many areas like that though simply wasn't the focus of the developers.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

I don't remember GoW on PS2/3 being metroidvania, you didn't really do a lot of backtracking and unlocking areas in the same location with new powers. For me they were much more of a "adventure game" or even corridor or sequential phase hack and slash.

It was a mix of both straight forward linear action and backtracking. You would come back to areas and access things you couldn't before with new abilities.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

I don't remember GoW on PS2/3 being metroidvania, you didn't really do a lot of backtracking and unlocking areas in the same location with new powers. For me they were much more of a "adventure game" or even corridor or sequential phase hack and slash.

It was a mix of both straight forward linear action and backtracking. You would come back to areas and access things you couldn't before with new abilities.

I remember just minimal backtrack in the same area, not like soul reaver that you have to completely return to areas you had finished long before. But no problem I do agree it was open area before and isn't true open world now, although I like the balance on GoW that gives you freedom to move and choose but also a streamlined experience with well wooven story telling.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

But even on PS4, God of War could have been a larger scale game. Every area you go to could have been a massive environment with tons more to do and explore. However, that might get in the way of the core game they're trying to make. Essentially putting resources into side content that often just feels like boring filler.

I think GoW was exactly the game they were trying to make, more story and gameplay focused.

I agree, but I believe the experience would be inferior both in graphics and content (as you said filler), most open world games feel empty. So for the game to keep most of its important values they would need much higher specs.

True, most open world games feel empty. I'm no developer but from what I understand, that probably has to do with assets that have to be copied 100s of times on the disk so the streaming can keep up. With SSD developers no longer have to do that so we should see much bigger and more detailed worlds with a ton more variety in assets. Also, there should be a much greater sense of speed. Pretty exciting stuff and I can't wait to see what a next gen BF, Apex Legends etc. will look like.

goopy20 said:
DonFerrari said:

True, most open world games feel empty. I'm no developer but from what I understand, that probably has to do with assets that have to be copied 100s of times on the disk so the streaming can keep up. With SSD developers no longer have to do that so we should see much bigger and more detailed worlds with a ton more variety in assets. Also, there should be a much greater sense of speed. Pretty exciting stuff and I can't wait to see what a next gen BF, Apex Legends etc. will look like.

That would just mean they change empty with repeatable and boring or heavy work to make unique (like RDR2 and its over 2000 devs involved to make the game), which is the second reason I don't like open world games very much. For me the perfect balance when going more for open and free is Yakuza series and when going more for the storytell would be GoW and SM. They give the impression of an alive place with every citizen having their own things to do.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
goopy20 said:

That would just mean they change empty with repeatable and boring or heavy work to make unique (like RDR2 and its over 2000 devs involved to make the game), which is the second reason I don't like open world games very much. For me the perfect balance when going more for open and free is Yakuza series and when going more for the storytell would be GoW and SM. They give the impression of an alive place with every citizen having their own things to do.

Generally I also don't like open world games so much, but did you play BOTW? That game has an amazing sense of scale, freedom and the world feels very much alive. Now just imagine that the rumored new sci-fi game from ND is real and you get too fly to other planets, have an even better sense of scale as in BOTW but with the visual fidelity of TLOU2. That's the kind of stuff I would like to see. Also, massive online shooters should be pretty amazing next gen. Planet Side 2's scale for example is great, it's just that the art style sucks and the indoor locations look like ass. But something like Apex Legends with the scale of planet side 2 would be awesome. 

goopy20 said:
DonFerrari said:

Generally I also don't like open world games so much, but did you play BOTW? That game has an amazing sense of scale, freedom and the world feels very much alive. Now just imagine that the rumored new sci-fi game from ND is real and you get too fly to other planets, have an even better sense of scale as in BOTW but with the visual fidelity of TLOU2. That's the kind of stuff I would like to see. Also, massive online shooters should be pretty amazing next gen. Planet Side 2's scale for example is great, it's just that the art style sucks and the indoor locations look like ass. But something like Apex Legends with the scale of planet side 2 would be awesome. 

Haven't played it as I haven't had interest in Zelda so far (have bought several titles for collection so my son can play when he grows up).

DonFerrari said:
goopy20 said:

Haven't played it as I haven't had interest in Zelda so far (have bought several titles for collection so my son can play when he grows up).

I never played any Zelda game before neither and Nintendo games are generally not my thing. I ended up buying a Switch for my daughter and I hardly touch the thing myself, but I have to say that BOTW is definitely one of the best games I played this gen. 

Last edited by goopy20 - on 25 March 2020

goopy20 said:
DonFerrari said:

I never played any Zelda game before neither and Nintendo games are generally not my thing. I ended up buying a Switch for my daughter and I hardly touch the thing myself, but I have to say that BOTW is definitely one of the best games I played this gen. 

Understand, I bought Switch to my boy but no Zelda yet, may try it during this quarantine.