By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Rumor: Xbox "Lockhart" specs leaked, is $300

Mr Puggsly said:
goopy20 said:

I understand that developers don't have to support Series S, but that will be a business decision. If more people buy Series S than the Series X, they will probably target Series S as the base console and make the X version run at 4k/60fps. 

My guess is that multiplatform games will run in a bit higher resolution on Series X compared to ps5. However, with the exclusives we could see a much bigger difference between Xbox and ps5 games. Who knows, but we could be seeing something like Gears 5 running at ultra setting in 4k/60fps on Series X vs a 1080p or 1440p GOW2 that'll look like a cross between GOW and BOTW on steroids.

Again, developers could also drop graphics settings along with resolution to better accomodate the Series S. But many 9th gen games will likely target 4K or dynamic 4K.

What about Gears 6? Will that be 4K/60 fps/ultra vs 1080p/30 fps God of War 2?

Also, why would GoW2 become BotW? GoW at its core is a linear action game. There are some fairly large areas to explore but its in separated areas, not a big map like Skyrim or BotW. That wasn't for specs reasons, that was a design choice.

GoW2 could be become an open world game right now on PS4 if that was a design choice. It could be like AC:Odyssey with Kratos.

Last, I really hope GoW2 is 1080p/30 fps on PS5. That sounds incredibly likely.

Eeeeerr there is no indication that if the specs were different like faster SSD the design choices would be the same.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Again, developers could also drop graphics settings along with resolution to better accomodate the Series S. But many 9th gen games will likely target 4K or dynamic 4K.

What about Gears 6? Will that be 4K/60 fps/ultra vs 1080p/30 fps God of War 2?

Also, why would GoW2 become BotW? GoW at its core is a linear action game. There are some fairly large areas to explore but its in separated areas, not a big map like Skyrim or BotW. That wasn't for specs reasons, that was a design choice.

GoW2 could be become an open world game right now on PS4 if that was a design choice. It could be like AC:Odyssey with Kratos.

Last, I really hope GoW2 is 1080p/30 fps on PS5. That sounds incredibly likely.

Eeeeerr there is no indication that if the specs were different like faster SSD the design choices would be the same.

I mean the core game. In the case of God of War, its open like a 3D Metroidvania game. That's the scope the game was aiming for. The game is really a linear experience with some larger areas that have side quests and things hidden.

If the developers wanted to make something large scale like AC:Odyssey, BotW or Skyrim, that totally changes what the game is at its core. I mean you can't fly a dragon over the entire world of God of War or take a boat everywhere because it wasn't built that way, its not really an open world to begin with.

Gears 5 did something very similar as God of War. You now have these fairly large open areas to explore where you do side quests and main quests, but much of the game is still a linear experience because that's how scope they were going for. If MS decided they wanted to make Gears 6 a real open world shooter, that's totally feasible even on the X1. I mean games like Far Cry, Crysis 1, RDR, Just Cause, Division, Fallout and other titles would suggest this could happen even on X1 specs.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

I mean the core game. In the case of God of War, its open like a 3D Metroidvania game. That's the scope the game was aiming for. The game is really a linear experience with some larger areas that have side quests and things hidden.

If the developers wanted to make something large scale like AC:Odyssey, BotW or Skyrim, that totally changes what the game is at its core. I mean you can't fly a dragon over the entire world of God of War or take a boat everywhere because it wasn't built that way, its not really an open world to begin with.

Gears 5 did something very similar as God of War. You now have these fairly large open areas to explore where you do side quests and main quests, but much of the game is still a linear experience because that's how scope they were going for. If MS decided they wanted to make Gears 6 a real open world shooter, that's totally feasible even on the X1. I mean games like Far Cry, Crysis 1, RDR, Just Cause, Division, Fallout and other titles would suggest this could happen even on X1 specs.

I do agree with you.

My point is that if they had better specs on SSD, RAM, GPU, CPU they may have even changed the core because they may have limited several stuff on deciding the core exactly because they were aware of the limits.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

A completely open world GOW was just an example. But yes, I do believe we'll see a ton of complex open world games with even better fidelity as we're currently seeing in games like GOW. You can't really compare that to the exploring parts in Gears 5 where you're just gliding through a barren wasteland with nothing to see or do.

BOTW is imo a good example of what an open world adventure game should be like. The graphics are obviously a bit simplistic, but sense of scale, the way you can travel through the world, the physics/ weather system and how they managed to make the world feel alive is pretty amazing. Hopefully we'll see a lot more games like that next gen. Of course, with much richer visuals, world simulations, physics and way more complex level design.

Imo something like that would get people a lot more excited (even if it's running in 1080p), than Gears 6 running in 4k/ 60fps.

DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I do agree with you.

My point is that if they had better specs on SSD, RAM, GPU, CPU they may have even changed the core because they may have limited several stuff on deciding the core exactly because they were aware of the limits.

But even on PS4, God of War could have been a larger scale game. Every area you go to could have been a massive environment with tons more to do and explore. However, that might get in the way of the core game they're trying to make. Essentially putting resources into side content that often just feels like boring filler.

I think GoW was exactly the game they were trying to make, more story and gameplay focused.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
goopy20 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

A completely open world GOW was just an example. But yes, I do believe we'll see a ton of complex open world games with even better fidelity as we're currently seeing in games like GOW. You can't really compare that to the exploring parts in Gears 5 where you're just gliding through a barren wasteland with nothing to see or do.

BOTW is imo a good example of what an open world adventure game should be like. The graphics are obviously a bit simplistic, but sense of scale, the way you can travel through the world, the physics/ weather system and how they managed to make the world feel alive is pretty amazing. Hopefully we'll see a lot more games like that next gen. Of course, with much richer visuals, world simulations, physics and way more complex level design.

Imo something like that would get people a lot more excited (even if it's running in 1080p), than Gears 6 running in 4k/ 60fps.

That's the point, that's what open world games have a lot of. You explore barren lands and eventually reach your destinations. In the case of Gears 5, you skiff around an open area and eventually go to more linear areas of the game that progress the story or do small side quests.

God of War is mostly linear paths where you beat up monsters and berate your son. Then there are larger open areas with side stuff to do, sometimes traveling around in your boat. These games actually share a lot of similarities in game design.

BotW is something entirely different, that's a truly open world game. I haven't played it much but I got the impression that dungeons are more linear sections of the games. Which is common, open world games tend to have more linear sections as well. The thing is that game is just doing something entirely different than say GoW or Gears 5, completely different game design choices that weren't limited to specs.

Gears 6 could be a large scale open world game and still achieve 4K/60 fps. I think you're missing the point, making a game like BotW is more about design choices than specs. Skyrim had an impressive dynamic world, it used impressive physics, it had dynamic weather and it felt more alive than the average game, they did this with 7th gen specs as well. Meanwhile I own BotW on Wii U, specs that are fairly close to 7th gen.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
goopy20 said:

That's the point, that's what open world games have a lot of. You explore barren lands and eventually reach your destinations. In the case of Gears 5, you skiff around an open area and eventually go to more linear areas of the game that progress the story or do small side quests.

God of War is mostly linear paths where you beat up monsters and berate your son. Then there are larger open areas with side stuff to do, sometimes traveling around in your boat. These games actually share a lot of similarities in game design.

BotW is something entirely different, that's a truly open world game. I haven't played it much but I got the impression that dungeons are more linear sections of the games. Which is common, open world games tend to have more linear sections as well. The thing is that game is just doing something entirely different than say GoW or Gears 5, completely different game design choices that weren't limited to specs.

Gears 6 could be a large scale open world game and still achieve 4K/60 fps. I think you're missing the point, making a game like BotW is more about design choices than specs. Skyrim had an impressive dynamic world, it used impressive physics, it had dynamic weather and it felt more alive than the average game, they did this with 7th gen specs as well. Meanwhile I own BotW on Wii U, specs that are fairly close to 7th gen.

I think all design choices are dictated by hardware limits. The Gow games used to be super linear until they were able to do a more open level approach on ps4 and did the reboot. But going linear or open world always has its pros and cons. Uncharted 4 for example, wouldn't really work as a true open world game, sure they did a bit more open levels, but it's not like you can jump in a plane and parachute drop on any mountain you see in the far distance. Games like GTA have an amazing open world but they're also limited in what they can do with their indoor locations and why the missions tend to get boring after a while. What we'll hopefully see next gen is the best of both worlds with a huge leap in what we're used to seeing when it comes to level design. I also have no idea what to expect but Star Citizen is probably the only game that can give us a clue.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqXZhnrkBdo

Last edited by goopy20 - on 25 March 2020

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

I do agree with you.

But even on PS4, God of War could have been a larger scale game. Every area you go to could have been a massive environment with tons more to do and explore. However, that might get in the way of the core game they're trying to make. Essentially putting resources into side content that often just feels like boring filler.

I think GoW was exactly the game they were trying to make, more story and gameplay focused.

I agree, but I believe the experience would be inferior both in graphics and content (as you said filler), most open world games feel empty. So for the game to keep most of its important values they would need much higher specs.

That is all speculation of course and I wouldn't change the game anyway.

goopy20 said:

I think all design choices are dictated by hardware limits. The Gow games used to be super linear until they were able to do a more open level approach on ps4 and did the reboot. But going linear or open world always has its pros and cons. Uncharted 4 for example, wouldn't really work as a true open world game, sure they did a bit more open levels, but it's not like you can jump in a plane and parachute to anything you see in the far distance. Games like GTA have an amazing open world but they're also limited in what they can do with their indoor locations and why the missions tend to get boring after a while. What we'll hopefully see next gen is the best of both worlds with a huge leap in what we're used to seeing when it comes to level design. I also have no idea what to expect but Star Citizen is probably the only game that can give us a clue.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqXZhnrkBdo

PS2/PS3 era GoW games were linear by choice. They were story driven, Metroidvania games by design.

GoW on PS4 has the illusion of being a much more open game than it really is, but its only in sections. In comparison PS3 has many truly open world games.

Uncharted games don't work as an open world game for many reasons. The first being the levels are generally linear story driven experiences with lots of scripted events and puzzles. Many games are designed like that, which is why it doesn't make sense for everything to be open world.

A big reason GTA lacks indoor locations is because that isn't the scope the game is aiming for. There are indoor locations in the game, but walking into every building isn't crucial to that experience. It would be a waste of time and resources focusing on that as well.

Even a game like Spiderman puts its attention on a great looking city because that's where you're spending most of your time doing missions, exploring, etc. You don't need to walk into every building. While missions that take place in buildings are more carefully designed for a linear experience. Hence, I anticipate that to be the trend next gen as well for numerous reasons.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
goopy20 said:

I think all design choices are dictated by hardware limits. The Gow games used to be super linear until they were able to do a more open level approach on ps4 and did the reboot. But going linear or open world always has its pros and cons. Uncharted 4 for example, wouldn't really work as a true open world game, sure they did a bit more open levels, but it's not like you can jump in a plane and parachute to anything you see in the far distance. Games like GTA have an amazing open world but they're also limited in what they can do with their indoor locations and why the missions tend to get boring after a while. What we'll hopefully see next gen is the best of both worlds with a huge leap in what we're used to seeing when it comes to level design. I also have no idea what to expect but Star Citizen is probably the only game that can give us a clue.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqXZhnrkBdo

PS2/PS3 era GoW games were linear by choice. They were story driven, Metroidvania games by design.

GoW on PS4 has the illusion of being a much more open game than it really is, but its only in sections. In comparison PS3 has many truly open world games.

Uncharted games don't work as an open world game for many reasons. The first being the levels are generally linear story driven experiences with lots of scripted events and puzzles. Many games are designed like that, which is why it doesn't make sense for everything to be open world.

A big reason GTA lacks indoor locations is because that isn't the scope the game is aiming for. There are indoor locations in the game, but walking into every building isn't crucial to that experience. It would be a waste of time and resources focusing on that as well.

Even a game like Spiderman puts its attention on a great looking city because that's where you're spending most of your time doing missions, exploring, etc. You don't need to walk into every building. While missions that take place in buildings are more carefully designed for a linear experience. Hence, I anticipate that to be the trend next gen as well for numerous reasons.

I don't remember GoW on PS2/3 being metroidvania, you didn't really do a lot of backtracking and unlocking areas in the same location with new powers. For me they were much more of a "adventure game" or even corridor or sequential phase hack and slash.