By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA: "There isn't much room for other titles than 1st party on Switch"

Lonely_Dolphin said:
They're just trying to remind us who the informed gamer's #1 enemy is after a bunch of competitors have stepped up to dethrone them.

EA: We're the worst! No one can take us on!

Blizzard: We told made our customers feel stupid because they all have smartphones that can play our game.

Bethesda: We announce games and then release them half a decade later, Bros.

SEGA: We have made our mascot into a laughing stock by releasing a series of bad games and movie animations.

EA: But our microtransations and absorbing companies only to then let them for a slow death tops you all!

Retro Studios: We haven't even released a new game since Wii U/360/PS3 era hahaha but we chill cause we in Austin baby floating on lazy rivers in our kayaks!

NCSOFT: We own Asia and the world will be forced to be our subscription slaves in two decades time.

Ubisoft: We came out with a really cool game idea about pirates years ago, possibly one of the coolest games ever, and have since gone silent for like three years.

Sony: We started making less games, and the ones we do make are mostly cinematic experiences.

Microsoft: We're still crying that we lost Bungie.

EA: Oh man, I know how that feels!

Bungie: Were finally free! But poor.

EA: well, I still haven't heard enough evidence that suggests we aren't the worst of you all!

*Door slowly opens to the room where everyone is sitting. Someone walks in, covered by the shadows, and steps into the light.

Mystery Person: Our fans have wanted a sequel to our game since before Trump was a Republican and Hillary was a progressive. And now, years later, we are finally releasing a sequel...

EA: What's so bad about that? 

Mystery Person: It's locked behind VR muwhahahahaha!!!!

Everyone in the room collapses in bowing gesture towards the true Lord of darkness, Gabe Nelson.

Around the Network
padib said:
DonFerrari said:
Nothing new under the sun. And probably they deem it not enough profit to be made in several of the games they release on PS4/X1 if they were to port to Switch. But yes let's hate EA for not releasing the games we wouldn't buy anyway.

I heard that their ports on Nintendo consoles are lazy and limited in features. You might be right to say people wouldn't buy them anyway.

I wouldn't blame the buyers for it though :S

This is correct for their only noteworthy release, which is Fifa.  Fifa in 2017 and 2018 were competent from a technical perspective but were missing the entire campaign mode that the PS4 and Xbone got as well as a laundry list of other features that were missing for no apparent reason.  However, in 2019 it got much worse:  it's a "legacy" edition.  It's literally 2018's already feature-stripped game with some roster updates and a few other minor tweaks.  Re-released at full price.  

Last edited by Nuvendil - on 31 January 2020

That's not good EA, you losing potential buyer and market here . Even if they don't have title that can be sell on Switch, they can just make one like how Ubisoft did. Or Port old games to see how good the reaction is.

Machina said:

I think the issue is more complicated than that, and than many who want to see more third party support are willing to acknowledge. It's also more complicated than I'm about to write about, but I'm going to try and put the thoughts flying around my head into words:

Nintendo's audience has always been quite unique, whereas the other manufacturers have pretty much identical audiences, in terms of audience taste at any rate. I know there's some difference - we saw for example splits for a lot of third party games favoured PS4 over XO even more than the install market shares should have resulted in, but for the mostpart they're very, very similar.

There's certainly room for third parties on Nintendo consoles, and they can succeed, but often not if they're just regurgitating whatever it is they're releasing on Microsoft and Sony's platforms, especially where said regurgitation requires additional work to make it on par with the PS4/XO versions, soon to be PS5/XSX.

They need to put in effort, which in a way is a credit to Nintendo's fan base, in that it won't just buy 'Game X, 2020 Edition, Inferior Version'. And even when effort is put in there's very much a feeling that it's as likely to falter as it is to sell massive amounts. When 'Game X, 2020 Edition' can sell 10 million+ across Xbox, PlayStation, and PC I can understand why they're not so willing to risk putting in work to make 'New IP for Nintendo Fans', or even 'Game X, 2020 Edition, Main Version', when it's as likely to sell <1 million as it is 5 million+.

So, they often make excuses - EA being a prime example of a company that does this. 'Game X, 2020 Edition, Inferior Version' sold worse than any individual 'Main Version', and 'New IP for Nintendo Fans' did lukewarm to the point of irrelevance, so... why bother? It's too difficult and not worth the effort really, other than from a PR perspective.

None of these third party developers can create and cultivate an IP that would appeal to the main driver in the Nintendo audience that propels the likes of Mario Kart and Zelda to 5 million+ even on the worst performing Nintendo consoles. And if they could it probably wouldn't perform well on the PS5/XSX, so they're limiting their potential audience to a segment of one console's install base that's always been the hardest for them to capture, which makes it too risky to try.

And if Nintendo fans really want to play EA's output they'll just buy an 'Xbox Dumb Name That Seems Designed to Confuse Everyone', a PC, or a 'PS4,5,6,7,8,9' anyway, so.... *shrug*

It runs two ways on one side its an excuse on the other it's a business case , I tend to feel it's a business case, the problem is EA isn't doing a good a job of stating that, now its a combination of Nintendo building hardware to suit it's software profile and the Switch is the apex of that approach.

Then you have EA themselves who having given up pretty much on Nintendo and split their resources on the other consoles and PC looking at Wii U sales feeling justified, then Switch comes around and they suddenly have people saying what are your plans. 

Now some of the other issues EA may well be facing could be the demographics of those extra  switch customers like how many are  PS4 or Xbox owners who didn't own a Wii U, along with the fact that past decisions means that the fan demand for EA and 3rd parties in general has gone cold so with no real audience enthusiasm and in age were success at the  top and bottom end seems to have come at the expense of the middle, and EA's software is pretty much all top with no bottom, but instead of talking about all the factors that make it more than just porting games they give us the same old PR.

it can't expect to succeed with ill fitted games it needs to realise it can't look at Nintendo by console cycle , instead invest in a long term Nintendo specific strategy that doesn't see them as an afterthought along with day one versions of new existing brands built for switch from the ground up and looking at bringing good games to the Switch that a million or more sales means good profit and that can be accomplished as a publisher as well as a maker.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

DonFerrari said:
Nothing new under the sun. And probably they deem it not enough profit to be made in several of the games they release on PS4/X1 if they were to port to Switch. But yes let's hate EA for not releasing the games we wouldn't buy anyway.

I would buy Mass Effect Trilogy on the Switch.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Stellar_Fungk said:

I would buy Mass Effect Trilogy on the Switch.

We would have bought it on Wii U. 

PS3/X360 get Mass Effect Trilogy for $60.  Wii U gets ME3 2 weeks later for $60.

I still think it's dumb they didn't bring the entire trilogy to the Wii U.

Last edited by Mr.GameCrazy - on 31 January 2020

People don't buy Nintendo consoles for third party games. People buy because it has the best exclusive library of any home console, look at wiiU, with Bayonetta 2, Mario 3d, super Mario U, Pikmin 3, Wind waker HD, Twilight princess HD, Wonderful 101, Mario Kart 8, Breath of the wild, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, and many more.

Look at the switch, same thing again, most people buy it as a secondary console, most of those gamers already have either a PC or ps4 or xbox so there's no point in third party on it.

victor83fernandes said:

People don't buy Nintendo consoles for third party games. People buy because it has the best exclusive library of any home console, look at wiiU, with Bayonetta 2, Mario 3d, super Mario U, Pikmin 3, Wind waker HD, Twilight princess HD, Wonderful 101, Mario Kart 8, Breath of the wild, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, and many more.

Look at the switch, same thing again, most people buy it as a secondary console, most of those gamers already have either a PC or ps4 or xbox so there's no point in third party on it.

Lets not go crazy here. There might be reasons to not port many big AAA games, but smaller games like Mega Man and indie games do way better on Switch than any other device.

sales2099 said:
Mnementh said:

I guess all these game devs are idiots then:

No need to get defensive? FYI it’s good to be aware of your favourite consoles weaknesses. The highest game sale, by far, are all 1st party. Xbox and PlayStation are dominated by 3rd party sales. 

Look I’ll do it: Xbox One has a serious lack of 1st party exclusives. See it’s ok to be self aware :)

That’s just devs trying to cash in on the sales. Unless they are high profile rereleases most will be lucky to sell 100k-500k lifetime.  

Moving goalposts much? Look, you said 3rd-parties get scraps. Apparently you're wrong, otherwise 3rd-parties wouldn't release their stuff in such an amount. Now you talk about other stuff I don't care about. But that doesn't mean your first take was just wrong.

And about defensiveness: you are pretty new here (came years after me). So you probably don't know, that I tend to criticize Nintendo when they deserve it. Your statement was just bad.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

victor83fernandes said:

Strange though that so many games from 3rd-parties see their best sales on Switch.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]