By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EA: "There isn't much room for other titles than 1st party on Switch"

I care very little for EA's games outside of some of Respawns work. I kinguin that shit anyways.

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
I mean we all know this. You buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo games. 3rd party games get scraps, and usually only if the games are high profile.

I guess all these game devs are idiots then:

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

RolStoppable said:
Chicho said:

That number seem low to me because minecraft switch is over a million in Japan alone.

All those numbers are leftovers from before the point where VGC stopped tracking sell-through numbers for software. They are estimates up until the end of 2018.

Since then VGC only adds updates to shipment numbers to the database, but such numbers are hard to come by for the vast majority of games, so there really isn't much material for software sales analyses nowadays.

Also digital is not included (considering it makes the top ten quite often).

So, EA continuing to not make any real effort on the Switch confirmed. It just seems so ridiculous that companies would be so lazy as to not take advantage of a huge market and make up excuses simply because it would require them to do work. Hire a freakin team to make full effort Switch games alongside your full effort ps/box games. Expand your business! This is just pure laziness on their part. Nintendo games dominate because third parties don't bother to even try to bring new AAA games to the Switch. This guy is trying to say the effect is the reason for the cause!

EA: "There isn't much room for other titles than top-quality titles on Switch"

Around the Network

Sony and MS dominate the 3rd party market too much, even a lot of Switch owners own a PS4 but would rather play say NBA2K on PS4.

It's just too ingrained in people. 50 million userbase doesn't mean a lot if it requires more effort/resources to port and your sales return is going to be lower.

Nintendo unforuntately ceded the NES/SNES' legacy of being the place for all the top games (1st, 2nd, and 3rd party) to Sony in the 90s through stupid decisions and Sony is too smart to ever let Nintendo get that back.

A few 3rd parties will take a chance but many of them will just stand by.

Machina said:

I think the issue is more complicated than that, and than many who want to see more third party support are willing to acknowledge. It's also more complicated than I'm about to write about, but I'm going to try and put the thoughts flying around my head into words:

Nintendo's audience has always been quite unique, whereas the other manufacturers have pretty much identical audiences, in terms of audience taste at any rate. I know there's some difference - we saw for example splits for a lot of third party games favoured PS4 over XO even more than the install market shares should have resulted in, but for the mostpart they're very, very similar.

There's certainly room for third parties on Nintendo consoles, and they can succeed, but often not if they're just regurgitating whatever it is they're releasing on Microsoft and Sony's platforms, especially where said regurgitation requires additional work to make it on par with the PS4/XO versions, soon to be PS5/XSX.

They need to put in effort, which in a way is a credit to Nintendo's fan base, in that it won't just buy 'Game X, 2020 Edition, Inferior Version'. And even when effort is put in there's very much a feeling that it's as likely to falter as it is to sell massive amounts. When 'Game X, 2020 Edition' can sell 10 million+ across Xbox, PlayStation, and PC I can understand why they're not so willing to risk putting in work to make 'New IP for Nintendo Fans', or even 'Game X, 2020 Edition, Main Version', when it's as likely to sell <1 million as it is 5 million+.

So, they often make excuses - EA being a prime example of a company that does this. 'Game X, 2020 Edition, Inferior Version' sold worse than any individual 'Main Version', and 'New IP for Nintendo Fans' did lukewarm to the point of irrelevance, so... why bother? It's too difficult and not worth the effort really, other than from a PR perspective.

None of these third party developers can create and cultivate an IP that would appeal to the main driver in the Nintendo audience that propels the likes of Mario Kart and Zelda to 5 million+ even on the worst performing Nintendo consoles. And if they could it probably wouldn't perform well on the PS5/XSX, so they're limiting their potential audience to a segment of one console's install base that's always been the hardest for them to capture, which makes it too risky to try.

And if Nintendo fans really want to play EA's output they'll just buy an 'Xbox Dumb Name That Seems Designed to Confuse Everyone', a PC, or a 'PS4,5,6,7,8,9' anyway, so.... *shrug*

I think part of it is a combo of four things.

1) Third parties simply don't put in the effort to make AAA games on Nintendo systems anymore the way they do on MicroSony systems. So of course it is gonna sell less. They for some reason think Nintendo owners should buy inferior (and sometime downright bad) versions of games simply because the dev studio didn't feel like putting in the effort that they did on the MicroSony version.

2) Because this has been going on since the Wii, many Nintendo gamers now simply don't expect to get the latest big sports games or the latest AAA action games and so they've gotten used to not buying them. But again, the third parties aren't bringing full effort versions of these games anyways so we really don't even know how these games would do on a Nintendo system these days. Big third party games are released on Nintendo systems usually not at all, but when they are they are either years late, bad low effort versions, or bad low effort versions that are also released late.

3) Wasn't there a survey recently that found 40% or something of Switch owners have a PS4 or XBO? If 3rd party releases a multi-plat game on Switch those people are probably going to buy the PS/Box version of the game because it has better graphics and performance, it probably came out before the Switch version, and the devs put in more effort to the PS/Box version so the game is probably objectively better simply due to more effort being made on the other versions. Switch and PX/Box are good complements for multi-system owning households and it makes sense given those things that Switch would get fewer sales. Solution to minimize this though is to make full effort Switch games and no crap low effort ports and release it on Switch at the same time. It's not gonna sell as much on Switch but it'll do a lot better than how 3rd party games have been doing with their normal don't release or low effort late release strategy.

4) This goes back a little bit to number two, but because third parties stop putting in the effort when Nintendo decided to stop competing on raw graphical specs 14 years ago, the player bases and their interests have settled out into the PS/Box camp and the Nintendo camp. This was done by the third parties though, not done to them by Nintendo or Nintendo players. They created a market in which their fans mostly buy PS/Box and people who don't care as much about a lineup heavy in sports games and action games go with Nintendo. They can certainly still sell to Nintendo gamers and bring back that audience to Nintendo gamers by actually making those games at full effort and releasing on time on Nintendo systems.

It's not like Nintendo owners don't want to play sports games and action games, which make up the meat of the popular PS/Box games, they just don't want shit version of them that come out years late. Nintendo having a bunch of mega sellers on the Switch doesn't mean third parties can't have a bunch of multi-million selling games on the Switch.

They're the only big (huge in this case) publisher to be so timid with the Switch. Yes, Nintendo games dominate on the Switch. But clearly third-party games are very profitable or easy to port at least considering the many third-party games on Switch.
I think it's because EA is so big into online and microtransactions. Nintendo's online infrastructure is insanely outdated, and excluding mobile games they are not into microtransactions.
Selfishly speaking, I play almost no EA games. So it doesn't affect my Switch experience.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Chicho said:
Dulfite said:
Vgchartz Switch Numbers in database:
Minecraft - 1.89 million
Skyrim - 1.15 million
Crash Bandicoot trilogy - 1.11 million
Fifa18 - 1.10 million
Octopath Traveler - 1.02 million

How many does EA need to sell to think it's profitable? If a million isn't enough then that's sad. I'm sure if they released all their games on Switch they'd sell enough to profit and save their company some face.

That number seem low to me because minecraft switch is over a million in Japan alone.

I just looked up switch games and organized from best to worst selling and typed those numbers. If that database hasn't been updated then I don't know?

sales2099 said:
Dulfite said:
Vgchartz Switch Numbers in database:
Minecraft - 1.89 million
Skyrim - 1.15 million
Crash Bandicoot trilogy - 1.11 million
Fifa18 - 1.10 million
Octopath Traveler - 1.02 million

How many does EA need to sell to think it's profitable? If a million isn't enough then that's sad. I'm sure if they released all their games on Switch they'd sell enough to profit and save their company some face.

Well to be fair, FIFA is a juggernaut every year and it just managed to sell 1 million on Switch?? That’s pretty low.

Apparently these numbers stopped updated after 2018.