By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

NightlyPoe said:
Chicho said:

In the New York Post They said one store was selling hand sanitizer for $79 and that they had sold 50 at that prize

Price gouging is illegal last I checked.

This is from the same article

The price sounds like gouging, Mayor de Blasio told The Post when asked about the store’s sky-high Purell Friday night.

“I’d like my Department of Consumer Affairs to pay them a visit immediately,” he said.

yes it is ilegal but it still happens untill people get busted. This was on the front page of the NY post. Also keep in mind that some people never get caught. That was a store so hard to get away with it.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:
crissindahouse said:

Iceland should be there as well. Over hundred cases with like 350k inhabitants if I'm not wrong. 

Btw Sweden won't test for the virus anymore even if you have the symptoms as long as you won't get hospitalized there. They pretty much gave it up and hope that people who just stay at home if they feel bad will be better than those people leaving their home. Their number of new cases should go much down from now on because of that I guess. They simply won't know most cases. 

I wonder when US will enter that list. It is so expensive to get tested in the US many won't bother and with no paid sick leave people can't afford to take time off from work. 

That's why the US won't make it to the list - too many who are not getting registered.

May I ask how much that test costs in the US?

OdinHades said:

I ran out of work today because of corona. Every single one of my clients canceled their orders because of the virus. I wonder how long this will go on, I'm not earning any money now but I doubt my landlord or the insurances will have any understanding for that, lol. I'm also pretty certain that I will not be saved by the government, because I'm just a small time freelancer. We need all dem sweet moneyz to save Lufthansa, Volkswagen and SAP!

Welp, whatever. I'm still not panicking. There's still Hartz 4 after all! =P

How about starting some Ich AG? You'd get some Fördergelder for this, which might help bridging the gap...

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 12 March 2020

Bofferbrauer2 said:
trunkswd said:

I wonder when US will enter that list. It is so expensive to get tested in the US many won't bother and with no paid sick leave people can't afford to take time off from work. 

That's why the US won't make it to the list - too many who are not getting registered.

May I ask how much that test costs in the US?

I'm not sure, I've seen different figures but some of the patients went into urgent care and had multiple tests.  Denver is currently doing a drive through test that is free if you get a doctors note.  I have a feeling we will see this done elsewhere as well.

NightlyPoe said:
Chicho said:

In the New York Post They said one store was selling hand sanitizer for $79 and that they had sold 50 at that prize

Price gouging is illegal last I checked.

Then how come the US doesn't have universal healthcare yet? Seeing the prices for anything health related in the US looks like extreme price gouging from an European standpoint.

This is officially the week that everything went to shit.Companies cancelling interviews over this(happened to me), stores closing down because the government demands it, flights being cancelled, theme parks closing, E3 cancelled...

Somethings I get, like Disney closing for the time being, but government forcing stores to close?It isn't the virus that's going to cause a dent on humanity, the economy will...

Honestly, this is getting out of hand... people should be more level headed.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

I'm not sure if this link has been posted, but it seems like a good way to look at current trends.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Estimated 100k infected in Ohio. hmm can't wait till antibody testing studies start, maybe then we will get a good estimate on how common this virus truly was/is. Been spreading in the US unchecked and undetected since at least mid-January, before even Wuhan got locked down.

"Ohio Department of Health Director Amy Acton said at a press conference alongside Gov. Mike DeWine (R) that given that the virus is spreading in the community in Ohio, she estimates at least 1 percent of the population in the state has the virus.

"We know now, just the fact of community spread, says that at least 1 percent, at the very least, 1 percent of our population is carrying this virus in Ohio today," Acton said. "We have 11.7 million people. So the math is over 100,000. So that just gives you a sense of how this virus spreads and is spreading quickly.""

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/487329-ohio-health-official-estimates-100000-people-in-state-have-coronavirus

Skim reading this thread from the beginning in Jan thru today is really interesting. S*** got real for most people this week. Once testing ramps up, I am certain US will wind up with the most cases in the world :(

Crazy week. Every sports competition I follow is getting suspended.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

John2290 said:
Nautilus said:
This is officially the week that everything went to shit.Companies cancelling interviews over this(happened to me), stores closing down because the government demands it, flights being cancelled, theme parks closing, E3 cancelled...

Somethings I get, like Disney closing for the time being, but government forcing stores to close?It isn't the virus that's going to cause a dent on humanity, the economy will...

Honestly, this is getting out of hand... people should be more level headed.

The economy is secondary to the hospitals now. Gotta hope they stay together and fix the economy afterward. If the hospitals get out of hand, the econony is going down anyway with a degree of certainty. Funds are being put together to hold the economies up but you can't just throw money at the hospitals when they fall apart, there is a limited supply of staff and resources that needs to be rationed for the insane numbers that are about to flood them. These priorities are the ones that have at least given confidence we can get through this, it was getting really frightening there for a bit as it looked like they were just gonna let everything be slammed wide open. Be thankful they are now taking action. 

Saw a vid the other day where they mentioned around 30% of American nurses have kids in school, so if schools close, how many of these nurses will have no choice but to stay home and care for their children, instead of caring for patients? Not sure how legit that stat is, but it's just something else to consider on top of everything else.

Last edited by EricHiggin - on 12 March 2020