By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

The issue with pandemics has more to do with the number of people who get sick at once.

What a lot of the "It's not an issue until people are dying by the X level" people miss is that this is when it's already too late. The reason for the stiff reaction early on is that communities want to avoid that level of death and high rates of infection all at once. Disease, when out of control, spreads exponentially, and this may not be very noticeable for the first 85-90% of the upward curve outbreak, but in that last 10-15%, if the shit hits the fan, then lots of people die; and it's already too late.

It's not an overreaction if there is a heavy reaction and nothing crazy happens, it's an underreaction when something crazy happen and the amount of critically ill outstrips the hospital capacity. The reaction it takes that successfully stomps out any kind of sickness like this is the appropriate reaction. An overreaction would be something like firebombing Italy to burn the disease in the festering human bodies that contain them.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network

If ever there was a reminder that we all live on the same fucking planet, this is it!

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Snoopy said:

Most people who get the flu won't need a sick bed or a respirator. Only people who needs it will be the elderly or people with weak immune system. I actually got the flu earlier this year and I just stayed home for about a week and I was fine just like most people.  Also, most people who are dying are the elderly and infants who should stay home like I said before.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/lower-coronavirus-death-rate-estimates/

Younger persons don't die so long as there are enough medical supplies. But I've seen persons in their 20's on ventilators due to Coronavirus, as it can become severe enough for any age group to be needing these.

The difference between a teen with a ventilator and an elderly person with it is that an elderly person would be hit so hard that even with the ventilator, his chances would be slim while for the tween, the ventilator ensures his survival.

That doesn't seem to be the case according to the imperial college's study.

Once it gets so bad you move on to the ICU, your survival chance are about 50% no matter the age group.

I calculated their stats through, notice how expected deaths are pretty much always half of expected ICU cases

0 to 9 -> 3.8 million people, 70% infected 2.66 million, 2.6K in the hospital, 53 in ICU (50 dead)
10 to 19 -> 3.7 million people, 70% infected 2.59 million, 7.8K in the hospital, 388 in ICU (155 dead)
20 to 29 -> 4.4 million people, 70% infected 3.08 million, 37K in the hospital, 1800 in ICU (924 dead)
30 to 39 -> 4.6 million people, 70% infected 3.22 million, 103K in the hospital, 5150 in ICU (2570 dead)
40 to 49 -> 4.4 million people, 70% infected 3.08 million, 151K in the hospital, 9500 in ICU (4620 dead)
50 to 59 -> 4.7 million people, 70% infected 3.29 million, 336K in the hospital, 40940 in ICU (19714 dead)
60 to 69 -> 3.4 million people, 70% infected 2.38 million, 395K in the hospital, 108250 in ICU (52360 dead)
70 to 79 -> 2.8 million people, 70% infected 1.96 million, 476K in hospital, 206K in ICU (100K dead)
88 to 99 -> 1.5 million people, 70% infected 1.05 million, 287K in hospital, 203K in ICU (98K dead)

It could be of course that younger people heal quicker and don't need a ventilator for as long, while on the other hand older people die faster not occupying a ventilator for that long :/

NightlyPoe said:

BTW, is there any doubt that China's statistics are a complete fiction at this point? Somehow, this started in the most densely populated central China city in a highly densely populated country that was spreading with no one even being aware of its existence until it had already killed enough people for doctors to notice it, and even then they covered it up for weeks afterwards.

Yet, somehow, we're to believe that even though the spread had gone unchecked for basically months only managed to get to about 80,000 citizens?

It did not go on unchecked for months. It started in November or December (not sure if the guardian is all that reliable), in Januari the WHO was on top of it. Wuhan and other cities went on total lockdown on Januari 23rd. Not the soft social distancing we do here, no military style lock down. The sick got isolated quickly, locked in their homes. Januari 23rd China had 830 confirmed cases, but likely many more unconfirmed. They took it very seriously and still it increased to over 80K cases total. A lot of the measures are still ongoing.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/first-covid-19-case-happened-in-november-china-government-records-show-report
https://www.newscientist.com/term/covid-19/
https://www.vox.com/2020/3/2/21161067/coronavirus-covid19-china
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/19/chinas-coronavirus-lockdown-strategy-brutal-but-effective

Educate yourself before starting conspiracy theories.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 21 March 2020

Hiku said:
SvennoJ said:

[04] Iran: 1.00

Are Iran still overwhelmed if it stays at this consistent level?

From the data it looks more like they are at testing capacity
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/iran/
Overall it's stable, but about 1100 new cases a day. Reported deaths are stabilizing as well, so maybe they have a decline in new cases already and are currently working through a big back log of tests. The amount of daily deaths going down looks like a positive sign. Still too early to draw conclusions.

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:

Okay, I've kinda let you slide but this is getting ridiculous.  You keep trying to educate me and then pull out stuff that shows you don't understand what I said because you go off on a tangent about something else entirely or you don't understand the material you use to try and prove me wrong.

Nothing you said disproves what I alleged in the slightest.  Indeed, I already knew each data point.  And the problem persists that the rate of infection found in China was considerably less than most other countries despite it being a prime environment for spreading the infection and the government suppressing information on it in its early stages.

It's not even really much of a conspiracy theory.

What is complete fiction? The 80K? Nothing in any of the other data suggests that 80K is too low for the extreme measures that were taken.

Januari 23rd, full lockdown, much stricter than anything Italy is doing.
Growth factor first started declining on Februari 5th, 12 days after full lock down, in line with the incubation period.
Daily active cases peaked on Februari 17th, 25 days after full lock down.
Februari 17th they still reported 1888 new cases which didn't go under 100 until March 6th.

The time line, the math, it all fits.

Where is the complete fiction?

Italy had it's first cases confirmed on Januari 31st.
They went into lock down on March 13th. (but not as drastic as Wuhan and surrounding cities)

So yes, China probably suppressed the early numbers, so did Italy.
Now maybe it was going on for 2 months in China before full lock down and 'only' 1.5 months in Italy before semi full lock down. One went with the most extreme measures to stop it dead in its track, emergency brakes on. Italy is applying the brakes a bit less hard and since the bulk of exponential growth is at the end of the curve, Italy will most likely surpass China's numbers. Earlier measures are better to avoid totalitarian measures. But the latter is very effective to stop a disease in its tracks.

Plastic can carry the virus for a while and even now when people are still isolated in their homes there are still advertisement folders wrapped in plastic pushed through each door by hands we do not know,that's a risk and something that has gone seemingly unnoticed.

Hiku said:

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/03/18/italians-found-way-3-d-print-key-ventilator-piece-1-help-battle-coronavirus-so

"A medical devices company has decided to sue a bunch of Italian volunteers who 3D printed valves for $1 due to shortages in supply, which is usually sold by that company for $11,000."

This is a perfect example of how granting an intellectual monopoly in the form of a patent allows almost arbitrarily high prices to be charged, and quite legally. That would be bad enough in any situation, but when lives are at stake, and Italian hospitals struggle to buy even basic equipment like face masks, demanding such a sum is even worse. And when a pandemic is raging out of control, for a company to threaten those selflessly trying to save lives in this way is completely beyond the pale.

The valves he produced worked on 10 patients at the overstretched hospital, and the engineer is in the process of creating 100 more. But Fracassi says he is not sure how long the they will last or whether they are reusable, as it is possible sterilisation may damage them.

His team are testing out three different designs after failing to secure the original blueprints. The country is grappling with a medical equipment shortage as the number of coronavirus cases continue to surge and 3D printing could off a solution to broken supply chains.
--------------

Some of these for profit patent hogging medical companies are run by the scummiest people on the planet.

Absolutely disgusting behavior. Screw the company I hope the judge fines them instead or laughs them out of the court

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

JRPGfan said:

*edit:
If your a shop owner, that keeps your shop open, even though it should be closed, you ll get a fine for about 770$ dollars (here in denmark).

Add a zero here for Luxembourg. The fine goes from 1500€ to 10000€ depending on what kind of store, how long you're open and if you're a repeating offender.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 21 March 2020

Immersiveunreality said:

Plastic can carry the virus for a while and even now when people are still isolated in their homes there are still advertisement folders wrapped in plastic pushed through each door by hands we do not know,that's a risk and something that has gone seemingly unnoticed.

Yeah things like that are pretty stupid. Like how we can only pay with a card, because then you don’t have to touch money, but we still need to type in the code on a machine, which everyone else touches.

But those advertisement packages should be banned regardless, though, total waste of paper and plastic. I always feel a bit guilty when I have to throw away a whole stack just minutes after I find them in my mail box. Yes, I should get a “NEE”-sticker for my mailbox (a ‘No’-sticker, to prevent spam) but ‘no’ should just be the default and there should exist “Yes”-stickers instead.

Anyway this is another offtopic matter entirely.