By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Eagle367 said:
Hiku said:

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/03/18/italians-found-way-3-d-print-key-ventilator-piece-1-help-battle-coronavirus-so

"A medical devices company has decided to sue a bunch of Italian volunteers who 3D printed valves for $1 due to shortages in supply, which is usually sold by that company for $11,000."

This is a perfect example of how granting an intellectual monopoly in the form of a patent allows almost arbitrarily high prices to be charged, and quite legally. That would be bad enough in any situation, but when lives are at stake, and Italian hospitals struggle to buy even basic equipment like face masks, demanding such a sum is even worse. And when a pandemic is raging out of control, for a company to threaten those selflessly trying to save lives in this way is completely beyond the pale.

The valves he produced worked on 10 patients at the overstretched hospital, and the engineer is in the process of creating 100 more. But Fracassi says he is not sure how long the they will last or whether they are reusable, as it is possible sterilisation may damage them.

His team are testing out three different designs after failing to secure the original blueprints. The country is grappling with a medical equipment shortage as the number of coronavirus cases continue to surge and 3D printing could off a solution to broken supply chains.
--------------

Some of these for profit patent hogging medical companies are run by the scummiest people on the planet.

Absolutely disgusting behavior. Screw the company I hope the judge fines them instead or laughs them out of the court

^ this.

How can it be wrong, when your not doing it to profit off of it, and it's main goal is to save lives?

The laws are there to protect the people right?
Its twisted when the law is used against the protection of people.

Theres probably some rule of exception, that allows you do so so, in the name of saveing lives? right? there has to be.

Around the Network
S.Peelman said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Plastic can carry the virus for a while and even now when people are still isolated in their homes there are still advertisement folders wrapped in plastic pushed through each door by hands we do not know,that's a risk and something that has gone seemingly unnoticed.

Yeah things like that are pretty stupid. Like how we can only pay with a card, because then you don’t have to touch money, but we still need to type in the code on a machine, which everyone else touches.

But those advertisement packages should be banned regardless, though, total waste of paper and plastic. I always feel a bit guilty when I have to throw away a whole stack just minutes after I find them in my mail box. Yes, I should get a “NEE”-sticker for my mailbox (a ‘No’-sticker, to prevent spam) but ‘no’ should just be the default and there should exist “Yes”-stickers instead.

Anyway this is another offtopic matter entirely.

Apple Pay is a wonderful thing 

SvennoJ said:
NightlyPoe said:

BTW, is there any doubt that China's statistics are a complete fiction at this point? Somehow, this started in the most densely populated central China city in a highly densely populated country that was spreading with no one even being aware of its existence until it had already killed enough people for doctors to notice it, and even then they covered it up for weeks afterwards.

Yet, somehow, we're to believe that even though the spread had gone unchecked for basically months only managed to get to about 80,000 citizens?

It did not go on unchecked for months. It started in November or December (not sure if the guardian is all that reliable), in Januari the WHO was on top of it. Wuhan and other cities went on total lockdown on Januari 23rd. Not the soft social distancing we do here, no military style lock down. The sick got isolated quickly, locked in their homes. Januari 23rd China had 830 confirmed cases, but likely many more unconfirmed. They took it very seriously and still it increased to over 80K cases total. A lot of the measures are still ongoing.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/first-covid-19-case-happened-in-november-china-government-records-show-report
https://www.newscientist.com/term/covid-19/
https://www.vox.com/2020/3/2/21161067/coronavirus-covid19-china
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/19/chinas-coronavirus-lockdown-strategy-brutal-but-effective

Educate yourself before starting conspiracy theories.

Guardian? Very reliable, you can generally trust what they're writing.

Angelus said:
S.Peelman said:

Yeah things like that are pretty stupid. Like how we can only pay with a card, because then you don’t have to touch money, but we still need to type in the code on a machine, which everyone else touches.

But those advertisement packages should be banned regardless, though, total waste of paper and plastic. I always feel a bit guilty when I have to throw away a whole stack just minutes after I find them in my mail box. Yes, I should get a “NEE”-sticker for my mailbox (a ‘No’-sticker, to prevent spam) but ‘no’ should just be the default and there should exist “Yes”-stickers instead.

Apple Pay is a wonderful thing 

This is true. iPhones are a wonderful things.

Hiku said:

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/03/18/italians-found-way-3-d-print-key-ventilator-piece-1-help-battle-coronavirus-so

"A medical devices company has decided to sue a bunch of Italian volunteers who 3D printed valves for $1 due to shortages in supply, which is usually sold by that company for $11,000."

This is a perfect example of how granting an intellectual monopoly in the form of a patent allows almost arbitrarily high prices to be charged, and quite legally. That would be bad enough in any situation, but when lives are at stake, and Italian hospitals struggle to buy even basic equipment like face masks, demanding such a sum is even worse. And when a pandemic is raging out of control, for a company to threaten those selflessly trying to save lives in this way is completely beyond the pale.

The valves he produced worked on 10 patients at the overstretched hospital, and the engineer is in the process of creating 100 more. But Fracassi says he is not sure how long the they will last or whether they are reusable, as it is possible sterilisation may damage them.

His team are testing out three different designs after failing to secure the original blueprints. The country is grappling with a medical equipment shortage as the number of coronavirus cases continue to surge and 3D printing could off a solution to broken supply chains.
--------------

Some of these for profit patent hogging medical companies are run by the scummiest people on the planet.

Wow, just trash 

Around the Network
Hiku said:

--------------

I saw that news yesterday already.

While the 11k pricetag is way too high, more technical medical supplies are generally expensive for a reason, as it may not react in any way with the medical products and/or patients it comes into contact with, which means they need very specific materials and very tight standards, two things those 3D printed valves can't guarantee at all. In fact, the plastics used in private 3D printing are very sub-par for medical utilities. I can see it getting used as a stopgap in a pinch, but not any further than that.

But all this doesn't absolve the company for it's shitty maneuvers here. Like I said, the pricetag, even with the special materials needed, is most probably at least a zero too high, and trying to pull patent trolling in a medical crisis is the dumbest move they could do, even tough they are legally obliged to do it to keep their patent (you need to defend your patent, else it expires). Instead, they could have offered a time-limited licensing deal for during the crisis and everybody would have been happy without their patent getting in trouble. But that would have meant less income, something the shareholders certainly would have veto'ed if possible...

California ordered 2 million test and the Texas Governor says they should have 1 million tests by the end of the month.

S.Peelman said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Plastic can carry the virus for a while and even now when people are still isolated in their homes there are still advertisement folders wrapped in plastic pushed through each door by hands we do not know,that's a risk and something that has gone seemingly unnoticed.

Same here in Canada. I get the mail from the mail box, take the one letter or usually none and the rest goes straight into the recycling bin sitting next to the door. I guess I could put the recycling bin next to the mailbox with a "put advertisements in here" sticker on it.

I did switch back to paper billing for my credit card since they got me with their timing. I pay it off fully every couple weeks yet their computer still managed to find a date and pay before with some left over balance to stick me with late fees and interest lol. However when you use a debit card the bank charges you straight away for transactions. Automation is more expensive than carrying cash back and forth! But if you keep the balance under the tap amount, no touch. Not that it matters, still got to touch all the groceries, which got handled by a lot of people. Gas at the pump, same thing. Sanitizer in the car, don't touch your face.

NightlyPoe said:
SvennoJ said:

What is complete fiction? The 80K? Nothing in any of the other data suggests that 80K is too low for the extreme measures that were taken.

Januari 23rd, full lockdown, much stricter than anything Italy is doing.
Growth factor first started declining on Februari 5th, 12 days after full lock down, in line with the incubation period.
Daily active cases peaked on Februari 17th, 25 days after full lock down.
Februari 17th they still reported 1888 new cases which didn't go under 100 until March 6th.

The time line, the math, it all fits.

Where is the complete fiction?

This entire section has no relevance to the question.  There is no math or timeline to fit given that the main variable is the spread before the lockdown.

Italy had it's first cases confirmed on Januari 31st.
They went into lock down on March 13th. (but not as drastic as Wuhan and surrounding cities)

Okay, this is a gross manipulation of the timeline.  Aside from 3 travelers testing positive weeks earlier who had been in China (of whom there's no evidence they are the source of Italy's outbreak), it wasn't until February 19 that Italy got its 4th patient in the Lombardy region where the real outbreak would happen.  In only 18 days Lombardy was under quarantine with the rest of the country only 5 days behind.

Italy would pass China's death total only 29 days after the first person in this outbreak was discovered. 

So yes, China probably suppressed the early numbers, so did Italy.

Well, that's quite the accusation.  What evidence do you have of Italy's malfeasance?

And, btw, even if you provide it, the rate of spread in other countries is more than sufficient.  I didn't use Italy's rate of spread as a guidepost.  Many different, much smaller countries have seen growth rates much higher than what China claims.  And given China's size and density, their growth rate should have been significantly higher than most countries.

Now maybe it was going on for 2 months in China before full lock down

Again, you're making a significant assumption that it was only 2 months.  It was probably significantly longer.  It's extremely unlikely that doctors discovered the virus for some time after it had been introduced.  Remember, no one was looking for it.

Now given this and the incredible rate that it's burning through Europe, yeah, there's pretty much no way that China had such a low transmission rate in the time before they put a lid on things.

Suppressed is the wrong term, my bad. Many of these cases go undetected. The cases from Januari 31st could have already infected other people days before that, who then walked on with maybe just mild flu like symptoms. That's how it starts pretty much everywhere. Canada is also not showing the correct numbers, actively sending people away that want to be tested because they do not fit the profile (travel + age). Community spread isn't admitted to until somebody ends up in the hospital with serious symptoms, tests positive, and contacts can't be traced back to travel. So in essence Canada has been in denial, suppressing numbers, as well. Not by choice, more by incompetence, badly prepared. I expect quite the surge now testing finally gets up to speed. (Already happening)

China shows an average growth rate of 1.15 the week before the first growth peak. Italy is at 1.10 currently.
The average growth rate in the week right after lock down was 1.34 in China, in Italy 1.13 (they already had some other measurements earlier)
Before total lock down in Italy it was 1.19 on average.

Europe is reporting growth rates as low as 1.01 (Denmark) to 1.26 (Switzerland)

So yes it was spreading faster in China!

It starts slow, then accelerates. It's how exponential growth works. It also depends on how contagious and how serious the first few cases were. If the first people were only mildly infected, they might also have a much lower transmission rate. The incubation period varies a lot as well. But once the ball starts rolling, it all averages out and picks up steam.

Btw maybe this will clear some things up
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/26/confusion-breeds-distrust-china-keeps-changing-how-it-counts-coronavirus-cases.html
I'm not a fan of cnbc but I already saw the same explanations from a more scientific source a month ago, can't google it atm but it's the same.

The same problem persists now. Clinical suspected cases mixed with lab confirmed tests. Not enough lab capacity, unreliable tests. Different criteria for who to test. Post mortem testing and then it's still the question if the virus killed the patient or an underlying condition etc. Hence I try to look at averages only to lessen the impact of noise in the data.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 21 March 2020

John2290 said:

I follow MarkHamil on twitter and he retweets nasty shit directed at Trump 90% of the time. I used to read the threads for shits and giggles but now I'm in real time watching people with Trump derangement syndrome hoping Trump fucks up at thier own detriment in a pandemic. I think these people might have been composed of foreign bots all along, I can't imagine any American right now is thinking "Ah, I hope Trump fucks this one up". It's gotta be bots. They can't be real. I'm baffled.

Politics.It brings the worst on people.That's the same all over the world.

The good news out of this?You can filter the idiots, the haters, and the "I just want my party to win, fuck who is right" out of your news feed.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1