By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Deaths have been growing at a decent rate here in The Netherlands. As of today it's at a total of 76 deaths, patients that died while being infected with corona, with the youngest being 63 and the oldest 95.

Three days ago it was still at only 24. Yesterday it rose by 18, the day before by 19 and the day before that by 15. The total number of confirmed cases rose by 409 yesterday, to 2460, though that number probably isn't representative anymore. Hospital admissions have been declining in those three days though, even if ever so slightly. Yesterday 81 people were admitted into a hospital, the day before 94 and the day before that 109. The total of people in hospitals due to corona is now 489. Not sure how many of those in ICU. About a third of the total cases is located in one province, Brabant, and then even moreso in the eastern part of it. Other, smaller, clusters are the north of the Limburg province (which is next to the Brabant hotspot), and in and around the big cities Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Utrecht, though a lot of that also has to do with the fact that there are big hospitals there that take in patients from elsewhere.

My municipality now has 12 cases, but it's rural, fairly large and a collection of small villages and towns decently spread apart so I should be fine.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
SvennoJ said:

Dying happens a lot sooner than recovery. With the case load growing exponentially (and thus deaths as well) it's normal for the death rate in closed cases to grow. Recoveries won't catch up until several weeks after the growth rate falls below 1.0. It's over 6 weeks after quarantine started on the Diamond princess and 25% of cases still don't have an outcome.

However deaths / total cases is also lagging behind while the growth is still positive. But heavily depends on actually detecting all new cases.

Then the death rate is heavily skewed as well by the age distribution of those that get infected. Italy already has the same amount of deaths as China with half the detected cases. (Or will, I expect Italy to overtake China today :/)

It's still disconcerting to see it rise so fast in such a short period of time, I know it will fall again when this is over for western nations as long as things aren't too much for the health systems. 

Oh and I've read that the critical rate in the US among people under 30 is higher than the rest of the world, I wonder if there is a way to explain that. Young people are just spreading it more perhaps?

Health care is expensive in the US. It could simply be that people with mild symptoms don't go in for testing. If only people that are already pretty ill go in, then the critical rate will be skewed. Plus there's the prevalent notion that young people don't get corona or are all fine in a couple days. Another reason to stick it out at home hopefully or even ignore it and only go in when it gets bad.

I just came back from my weekly shopping, shopping for 2 households. It was more like the usual quiet Thursday morning, mostly the regulars in the store. They now have hand sanitizer at the check out (but not at the carts doh) and the cashiers are wearing gloves. As for stock, salad was low, no fresh meat at all only vacuum packed previously frozen pork tenderloin, ribs and bacon. Toilet paper isle was still empty but they had pallets of big packs on sale, limit 2 per customer. The pasta isle was almost bare, hardly and pasta or sauce left. Flour was also gone, yet bread was all stocked. The rest all looked pretty normal, except when I glanced in the back portion of the store, the storage area looked pretty empty. However hardly any lines, just people shopping like normal, just wiping down the cart handles which really should be standard practice anyway.

One drastic change is the gas prices here. It used to be CAD 1.31 per liter, today it was CAD 0.77 per liter.

NightlyPoe said:
SpokenTruth said:

And you continue to absolutely miss the point of it.  You're crusading against an issue that only exists within yourself.  We ALL get your point.  You just don't get ours.

Your point is to compare the United States' situation to Italy's at the same time.  You are incorrect for the reasons stated above.  Please refrain from re-posting this misleading information each day.  It is not helpful and spreads misinformation.

I find it interesting, you might find it useless, that's okay. Also I wouldn't say it's misinformation, it displays the number of cases side by side as the virus started to spread in both places, no more, no less. You can dispute the usefulness of comparing the two countries but the information displayed is accurate.

Signature goes here!

US now at over 10k cases.

NightlyPoe said:
crissindahouse said:

This is your daily reminder that you don't have to tell every second user what he shall post and/or what his opinion has to be

As long as he persists in posting daily misleading information, he will need to be corrected each day.  This isn't the time to be spreading such stuff.

I don't want to, it's a pain in the butt.

OK, if you want total pointless information about cases per capita, you can go here:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

and order the table by total cases per population. This basically orders by size of country.

Worst hit according to this is San Marino 4,126 cases per million people (the country has 140 cases total), Faroe Islands with 1,474 infection per million (72 total), Vatican City with 1,248 infection per million (1 infected). Following are Iceland, Liechtenstein, Andorra and only then Italy.

As everyone here said, that is a completely pointless statistics. SpokenTruth should continue posting his daily statistics as these are giving much more insight.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
jason1637 said:

16 days ago, it was "only" around 200 cases in the US.

Go back to mid-feb and Trump was saying "its only 15 people, and a week from now, that number will be gone"

Now its 10,767 infected.

John2290 said:

Yeah that actually makes a great deal of sense and thankfully they are skewed and not a reality and at least the petrol is cheap, the younguns will be drinking it in some stupid viral challange no doubt. 

And dude, if you can in anyway manage it financially for the time being at least til the first inital wave is done try for a fornights worth of shopping. Freeze bread, turn the fridge setting down to just the point before freezing to keep the milk going as long as possible. Rely on freezing meat a bit more and thaw out the night before in the second week. I've been coming up with some solutions like this to keep the person I'm caring for from getting it at the peak and limiting exposure as much as possible. I can't exactly stop life in it's tracks nor can I stop people in and out but I can cut the chances down significantly o  my end and hopefully not have it happen at the worst time, It'll be safer when things relax in the late summer to go back to taking less safe odds as there'll be ventalators available.

I've finally got my elderly Dad to see sense and stop his routine, he comes for dinner here and I supply him with what he needs but I fear for his mental health as his neighbours won't let him in, some who are extremely fucked if they get this (next door nighbour has only one lung and it's crapping out) and he relied so very much on cafes and his local dancing and the like for socializing. A year of this and the loneliness could be the worst thing and yet there is no way around that because if he leaves his home to cohabit here he looses his social welfare since his pension gave out not long ago and it's looking like the government will be putting strict ristrictions of over 70's to stay at home and they will provide a meals on wheels type deal. Man, navigating this shit without being responsible for uneeded harm is getting just a tad stressful. I am amazed how the Irish people went from frantic panic to the effortless social distancing in such a short time though, glad to be in this country right now, people are smarter than they are given credit. 

I already stocked up 3 weeks ago spread out over 2 weeks. I don't think there will be a bread shortage, but we have plenty cereal, oat meal and other stuff to compensate or even make our own bread. Frozen bread, too space inefficient :)

My father in law is stubborn as well, corona is going to kill me, well then stop continuing your normal routine and don't risk killing your at high risk daughter in the process. The problem is, my parents in law don't get along all that well lol. One is stir crazy, the other always grumpy. Another risk is the son of my brother in law who is very hard to handle and is mostly staying with my parents in law during this crisis. Our kids are there as well currently to help out keeping the other one calm. He goes into right panic mode, impossible to handle on his own. His parents are divorced, so more contact points whenever he goes back and forth. The new girlfriend of my brother in law, who he moved in with, has 2 teenage girls who go on as usual and have boyfriends themselves. That's all things that start occupying the back of your mind. My brother in law works for the red cross, doing meals on wheels, he needs to be careful as well.

As for my own father and sister, they are back in the Netherlands. Even if something would happen to them I couldn't even go there :/

Oh well, step one, get on top of testing and earlier detection. Measures started early here so hopefully the spread will also peak early here.

As much as I would hate it, and as bad for the economy as it would be, the U.S. needs to go on full lockdown now. Where I'm at in California, people are just going about their normal lives not keeping distance like advised. This won't slow if more dramatic measures arent taken.

trunkswd said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:
As much as I would hate it, and as bad for the economy as it would be, the U.S. needs to go on full lockdown now. Where I'm at in California, people are just going about their normal lives not keeping distance like advised. This won't slow if more dramatic measures arent taken.

I'm going out a lot less. Thing is I drove down to Florida (from NY) with my girlfriend and mom to visit family and friends for a couple weeks. It is looking like we will be staying here a lot longer than planned as I'm not sure doing the drive back up to NY right now is a good idea. 

Speaking of NY the Governor just showed the new cases.

JRPGfan said:
jason1637 said:

16 days ago, it was "only" around 200 cases in the US.

Go back to mid-feb and Trump was saying "its only 15 people, and a week from now, that number will be gone"

Now its 10,767 infected.

He's right though. No matter how hard I try but I can't find the number 15 anywhere in 10,767.