By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

SpokenTruth said:

The US had 2,846 new cases.  That's 3 times what it was just 2 days ago.  9 times from 1 week ago.  We are now 2 days ahead of Italy from the alignment 6 days ago.  We have surpassed France and South Korea for total cases.

That's what I love about this country -- we're always committed to being #1.

Around the Network

I think I've felt the effects of the pandemic for the first time in the flesh. Went to a local Costco and the checkout line went to the other side of the store, next to the bakery. There were so many people, like I had never seen before in any kind of store in my life. And everyone was buying paper and bottled water, and that's considering the virus hasn't even reached my city! Jesus Christ.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

The Diamond princess finally declared some more recoveries.

This is how it started:

February 1, 2020

Princess Cruises confirms that a guest from Hong Kong who traveled for five days on Diamond Princess from Yokohama (Tokyo) on January 20, and disembarked in Hong Kong on January 25, tested positive for coronavirus on February 1, six days after leaving the ship.

It is currently March 19th. There are still 14 serious/critical cases and 178 active cases. 527 have recovered and 7 died. (Some guests were repatriated and recovered or died back home)

The ship went into quarantine on Februari 4th. It's now over 6 weeks later! It can take a long time to get cured from this disease.

Meanwhile the new cases per day are going up fast. Test capacity increasing is likely contributing to that. 20.5K new cases yesterday, up from 15.7K the day before. There are a total of 219K cases detected so far. The number of deaths and suspected death rate should give some indication of how many undetected cases there are. A lower bound since you don't die instantly. If the 3.4% number is accurate, there are at least 44K undetected cases walking around. If the figure is closer to 2%, 229K undetected cases. 1% -> 677K undetected.

I don't know what's more worrying, a higher death rate or so many undetected cases it might be too late for whatever we're doing. The more benign the more unstoppable.

SpokenTruth said:

3/18: US-Italy Chart plus other updates.

The US had 2,846 new cases.  That's 3 times what it was just 2 days ago.  9 times from 1 week ago.  We are now 2 days ahead of Italy from the alignment 6 days ago.  We have surpassed France and South Korea for total cases. The nightly gap is 159. That was our entire daily total just 9 days ago. (added 20 more just since I posted this. 179 now.).

Italy gained 4,207 new cases today. They will pass China tomorrow for the most fatal cases.

There are now 16 countries with over 1,000 cases.

Feels like only yesterday the USA was at 4000 cases.
Now its ~9500.

What the hell..... that went quick.

NightlyPoe said:
SpokenTruth said:

3/18: US-Italy Chart plus other updates.

The US had 2,846 new cases.  That's 3 times what it was just 2 days ago.  9 times from 1 week ago.  We are now 2 days ahead of Italy from the alignment 6 days ago.  We have surpassed France and South Korea for total cases. The nightly gap is 159. That was our entire daily total just 9 days ago. (added 20 more just since I posted this. 179 now.).

Italy gained 4,207 new cases today. They will pass China tomorrow for the most fatal cases.

There are now 16 countries with over 1,000 cases.

This is your daily reminder that Italy and the United States are countries of vastly different scale and this chart is meaningless.  The United States is more akin to a less populated Europe as a whole instead a single peninsula.

Keep an eye on the clusters, not the country as a whole as most of the country is in a relatively early stage still.  Watch Washington, Northern California, and, especially, New York.

This is your daily reminder that you don't have to tell every second user what he shall post and/or what his opinion has to be

Around the Network

Was so annoyed at people today at the stores forming giant lines and showing up with the whole family,was waiting in my car till i could go in straight away but that only succeeded at the 4th store .

John2290 said:
The dearh rate in closed cases in 10% double what it was last week.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Dying happens a lot sooner than recovery. With the case load growing exponentially (and thus deaths as well) it's normal for the death rate in closed cases to grow. Recoveries won't catch up until several weeks after the growth rate falls below 1.0. It's over 6 weeks after quarantine started on the Diamond princess and 25% of cases still don't have an outcome.

However deaths / total cases is also lagging behind while the growth is still positive. But heavily depends on actually detecting all new cases.

Then the death rate is heavily skewed as well by the age distribution of those that get infected. Italy already has the same amount of deaths as China with half the detected cases. (Or will, I expect Italy to overtake China today :/)

China being a good guy again.

First they sent help to italy, and now their sending another package to the EU (2million masks, 50,000+ testing kits, and 200,000 of those filtered masks). A kind gesture, they apparently have almost 60% of the world market on makeing these masks.

Europe is stepping up production of masks too.

This is what we dont want:

"hospital workers make (own) masks from office supplies amid US shortage" (washington state) - bloomberg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ETbEQDfFT0

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgqYjrexYS8

Theres 7 states without bans on gatherings of people, closed schools, work... ect.
Even if you manage to slow the spread, via alot of the US going into lockdown...
it'll just restart soon after lockdown ends in those places, because of these 7 states that havnt done anything to prevent spread.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 19 March 2020

I can maybe understand toilet paper stocking up for like a month but I don't get why people are stocking up on bottled water. My city drinking water is good (I've been in cities with worse but nothing a filter can't overcome) and I use a water filter pitcher.

This isn't a situation that the water supply becomes undrinkable after a natural disaster. Bottle water hoarding is stupid. Maybe have one case for a real disaster.

335 cases now here in Luxembourg and most everything that isn't a pharmacy, grocery store or fuel station is closed.

https://today.rtl.lu/news/luxembourg/a/1486096.html

https://today.rtl.lu/news/luxembourg/a/1486123.html

And even then, you can only enter the supermarket one by one, resulting in long waiting lines:

https://www.rtl.lu/news/national/a/1485479.html

konnichiwa said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=6WME87A3FqY&feature=emb_logo

Big brother Germany is informing their candidates about the virus (because most have been locked up in the game before it started in Europe).

Surreal telivision.

The Big Brother House is probably the safest place to be right now as nobody enters from the outside

SvennoJ said:
SpokenTruth said:

How do we inoculate anyone tomorrow without a vaccine yet?

He means infected, assuming everyone under 20 only gets mild symptoms and will be cured in a few days while building up immunity. The incubation period is on average 5 days.

In the resulting models, estimated median incubation time (IT) of COVID-19 was 5.1 days; mean IT was 5.5 days. For 97.5% of infected persons, symptoms appear by 11.5 days. Fewer than 2.5% are symptomatic within 2.2 days. Estimated median IT to fever was 5.7 days. Among 108 patients diagnosed outside mainland China, median IT was 5.5 days; the 73 patients diagnosed inside China had a median IT of 4.8 days. Using exposures designated as high risk and a 7-day monitoring period, the estimate for missed cases was 21.2 per 10,000. After 14 days, the estimated number of missed high-risk cases was 1 per 10,000 patients.
https://www.jwatch.org/na51083/2020/03/13/covid-19-incubation-period-update

Then the question is, how long are you contagious with asymptomatic symptoms.

“Everything that we have seen so far verifies the experience in China. Once you acquire the illness, you may be infectious to other people for up to 14 days. Now, those who are asymptomatic may not know when Day 1 starts to start counting to Day 14. But it's encouraging to know that while asymptomatic individuals can get sick, their ability to spread the disease is far less than those who are actively symptomatic, who have secretions, who are coughing, who can take this virus and spread it around to other people.”

Thus if you infect people that are asymptomatic (and know day 1), you still need to keep them isolated for 2 weeks.

That's while still in the dark whether immunity really works (reports of people getting it again or it flaring up again pop up here and there) and whether there are any long lasting effects.

https://www.healthing.ca/diseases-and-conditions/coronavirus/can-you-have-covid-19-twice

Too many questions to fool around with any crazy schemes.

This is the main problem with the herd immunity concept. And if the virus were to mutate, then the immunity would be gone anyway. No wonder the UK changed it's policy to isolation and mitigation now, too.