By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion Thread

Pyro as Bill said:
SvennoJ said:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1103023/coronavirus-cases-distribution-by-age-group-italy/
No one under 30 dying in Italy? Where did you get that from.

So far 1.1% of deaths are in 0-18 year age group, 24.3% in 19 to 50 year age group.

Assuming the 3.4% overall (Still used by the WHO) is correct:
0-18 have a 0.037% risk of death
19-50 have a 0.85% risk of death

Now maybe the over all risk is only 2%, that's still 0.02% for 18 and under according to what we know so far.
Maybe it's 1% over all, that's under a thousand deaths under 18 in the UK, yet still about 33 thousand between 20 and 50 (if the rest that need critical care can actually be saved)

China and Italy are the best statistics we have so far, over 6,000 deaths combined. South Korea only has 93 deaths so far, far too little for a statistical analysis.

The statista link you posted is cases not deaths.

Ah my bad, Google tricked me. That looks promising for those under 50. It's quite a bit behind though. 2978 deaths currently :(

Here are some more overall statistics, but who knows.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Would you let your government infect and sequester your children for 2 weeks for the greater good, hoping there will be no long lasting effects, any complications will be treated and the chance of dying is less than one in ten thousand?

Italy's reported cases sadly went up again, thus my theory they had peaked on March 15th has likely gone out the window. 475 more people lost their lives today.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Ah my bad, Google tricked me. That looks promising for those under 50. It's quite a bit behind though. 2978 deaths currently :(

Would you let your government infect and sequester your children for 2 weeks for the greater good, hoping there will be no long lasting effects, any complications will be treated and the chance of dying is less than one in ten thousand?

Italy's reported cases sadly went up again, thus my theory they had peaked on March 15th has likely gone out the window. 475 more people lost their lives today.

If it's any consolation, Italy tested 54% more people today than yesterday, but cases rose just 19% in comparison. That might show the virus is becoming statistically rarer, at least among people at-risk displaying flu-like symptoms.

Also, proportionally, the daily increase has been more or less decreasing since March 10, on average. Of course, infection will continue within households etc. but I believe we'll be seeing the results of the social distancing measures first and then the lockdown in the next few days.

So ive been seeing a lot of the recently deceased people in the US are coming frim people who died last week but they're results just came in positive for the virus.

Yesterday the number of deaths by age in Italy was:

Source: https://lab.gedidigital.it/gedi-visual/2020/coronavirus-i-contagi-in-italia/?ref=RHPPTP-BH-I250745935-C12-P1-S1.4-T

Age Deaths CFR
0-9 0 (0%) 0.0%
10-19 0 (0%) 0.0%
20-29 0 (0%) 0.0%
30-39 7 (0.3%) 0.3%
40-49 18 (0.7%) 0.5%
50-59 65 (2.7%) 1.1%
60-69 220 (9.2%) 3.9%
70-79 856 (35.8%) 13.4%
80-89 995 (41.6%) 20.6%
90+ 229 (9.7%) 23.1%
Total 2390 (100%) 7.5%
Last edited by supermattia10 - on 18 March 2020

My college confirmed a student tested positive.

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Pyro as Bill said:

As soon as the schoolkids start mixing with each other again it could fly through them and we wouldn't even notice. Maybe it already has.

If the aim is to protect the vulnerable then turning their biggest hazard (asymptomatic, super-spreading, unhygienic kids) into super-shields is a good idea.

The government doesn't have to sequester anyone. Kids and their parents can have a 7-day camping adventure on school grounds. After the week is up, they go home but stay away from their grandparents for another 7 days. Within 2 weeks half the population is immune and the other half gets some herd immunity.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

John2290 said:
These tests that are coming in from states around America like Louisiana are suggesting that some spots in US is much further along than was realised. I'm on my phone qnd Google Chrome might as well be worthless on it could someone please research these results and give us the breakdown on here.
40% of the tests are positive from what I can find and it's less than 600 tests. Is this due to back log or... ?

Some states are only testing people with severe conditions so a higher percentage is reported. 

Pyro as Bill said:

As soon as the schoolkids start mixing with each other again it could fly through them and we wouldn't even notice. Maybe it already has.

If the aim is to protect the vulnerable then turning their biggest hazard (asymptomatic, super-spreading, unhygienic kids) into super-shields is a good idea.

The government doesn't have to sequester anyone. Kids and their parents can have a 7-day camping adventure on school grounds. After the week is up, they go home but stay away from their grandparents for another 7 days. Within 2 weeks half the population is immune and the other half gets some herd immunity.

Do you have kids? I don't even dare show this post to my wife lol.

Within in 2 weeks half the population is immune? Where do you get that idea from, how would you even infect half the population in 2 weeks.

Anyway that plan, mitigation, was rejected for all the right reasons. Again read this document:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf
The plan to quarantine high risk groups until herd immunity is build up is in there in detail.

People not dying doesn't mean some don't need help to survive. And that some multiplied by all is still too many. Besides all the unknowns of possible further complications, herd immunity actually being effective etc.

I fear for our family doctor. She's actually already 80 years old. There's such a shortage here she just keeps going lol. But any covid19 patient will put her in serious danger. It's confirmed now in the town she lives/works in. (10 km from here).

Brantford and Brant County has its first laboratory confirmed case of COVID-19, public health officials say.

A Brant County woman in her 40s acquired the illness after recently traveling to Mexico. She returned to Canada through the John C. Munro Airport in Hamilton from the Mayan Riviera region of Mexico on March 8, the Brant County Health Unit said in a statement.

Between March 9 and 10, she reported to work at Woodstock Hospital. She became symptomatic on March 11 and began to self-isolate.

The woman’s duties at the hospital require her to have limited patient contact, the health unit said.

So 8 days ago she was working in Woodstock, with reports that you're already contagious 1 or 2 days before showing symptoms. At least she had limited patient contact at work.

So clearly people are not self isolating for 2 weeks when returning to the country although they are asked to.

SvennoJ said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Do you have kids? I don't even dare show this post to my wife lol.

Within in 2 weeks half the population is immune? Where do you get that idea from, how would you even infect half the population in 2 weeks.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/281174/uk-population-by-age/

0-19yr olds are 25% of the population. 20-39yr olds are ~30% of the population. It's not unusual for schools to be used as shelter in emergencies. If all the 0-19yr olds go to their school/college with their parents for a week, it's done.

Anyway that plan, mitigation, was rejected for all the right reasons. Again read this document:
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf
The plan to quarantine high risk groups until herd immunity is build up is in there in detail.

"The more successful a strategy is at temporary suppression, the larger the later epidemic is predicted to be in the absence of vaccination, due to lesser build-up of herd immunity."

"interventions can limit transmission to the extent that little herd immunity is acquired – leading to the possibility that a second wave of infection is seen once interventions are lifted "

When suppression ends, the first thing we should do is reopen the schools and universities while the vulnerable are still shielded. Given that most accidents happen in the home, the youngsters will be safer there.

People not dying doesn't mean some don't need help to survive. And that some multiplied by all is still too many. Besides all the unknowns of possible further complications, herd immunity actually being effective etc.

They will need help but they'll need a lot less than anybody else. There'll never be enough herd immunity because the over 70s can't be allowed to get it but some is better than none. If the test that can show whether or not you've had the virus comes along soon then it offers the chance for a lot more freedom and safety for the vulnerable.

I fear for our family doctor. She's actually already 80 years old. There's such a shortage here she just keeps going lol. But any covid19 patient will put her in serious danger. It's confirmed now in the town she lives/works in. (10 km from here).

Brantford and Brant County has its first laboratory confirmed case of COVID-19, public health officials say.

A Brant County woman in her 40s acquired the illness after recently traveling to Mexico. She returned to Canada through the John C. Munro Airport in Hamilton from the Mayan Riviera region of Mexico on March 8, the Brant County Health Unit said in a statement.

Between March 9 and 10, she reported to work at Woodstock Hospital. She became symptomatic on March 11 and began to self-isolate.

The woman’s duties at the hospital require her to have limited patient contact, the health unit said.

So 8 days ago she was working in Woodstock, with reports that you're already contagious 1 or 2 days before showing symptoms. At least she had limited patient contact at work.

So clearly people are not self isolating for 2 weeks when returning to the country although they are asked to.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

trunkswd said:
I'm hearing Clearwater Beach is still crowded despite what is going on

Scientologists? Their Ueberguru says they are immune (they only need to smoke more)...