By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did Breath of the Wild live up to the hype for you?

Landale_Star said:

I don't often get hyped up for a game, with a new Zelda game that is trying something new I wanted to give it a fair chance. I got it day 1 with the Switch and I thought it was a good game, if I was forced to give it rating I'd say 7/10. As time passed (about 105 hours) I lost interest and never finished the game so maybe it's more a 5/10 for me now, though I did do all 4 of the temples so I could probably go back and tackle Ganon's castle. I doubt I'll buy the sequel on day 1 (I don't know anything about it so far, so there's still a chance), I think I'll wait a long time and pick it up cheap.

Even though this has been a bit disappointing for me, compared to plenty of the other Zelda games, I won't say they've ruined the franchise or that I'll never buy another Zelda game again. I'm pretty sure they'll continue to release Zelda games that I'll enjoy.

I'd say any single player game that gets you to play 105 hours (and you haven't even beaten it yet!) is pretty incredible. Maybe you should have just tried to beat it after like 80 or 90 hours instead of keep going and eventually lose interest racking up an insane amount of playtime. No matter how good any single player game is, eventually you're gonna get tired of it if you keep playing it. Seems weird to downgrade your score just cuz you played the game to death. I mean, you're saying you put over 100 hours into a game you give a 5 out of 10. That's pretty bizarre.

Around the Network
Barkley said:

It's a game with a number of flaws and problems that show Nintendo's inexperience with creating this massive open-world type of game.

Combat is unrewarding and resulted in me eventually just running past all the random encounters, the vast majority of side quests are uninspired and bland. The world lacks variety and is copy and pasted (Every stable is the same) shrines used to pad out the game. Lack of abilities mean puzzle solving is limited, you basically just get out your magnet and look for something that glows. The map could also see improvement, making it more apparent where you've actually explored.

BOTW is saved by it's polish and soul. I didn't get caught up in any hype so it didn't have anything to live up to for me. It was an 8/10 game for me.

The sequel will eclipse BOTW in every aspect, except sales unfortunately.

Very true. I'm sure the sequel will improve in a lot of ways. Only thing I'd be worried about is going back to the same world - hopefully they change the content and mechanics and everything enough that playing through the same map feels like a new experience. No doubt the sales will be less, but hopefully it'll at least be another 10 million seller and put all pre-BotW Zelda sales to shame. And you never know, since BotW is THE essential Switch experience, maybe BotW 2 will have a Smash/Pokemon level launch.

curl-6 said:

Honestly the lead up to BOTW's release wasn't exactly "hype" for me, so much as nearly 3 years of excruciating frustration. They way they kept us in the dark for 18 months, skipped E3 2015, refused to give us a release date until the 11th hour, truly Nintendo at its most fucking annoying. Thank fuck the game turned out so great, as I don't think any game has pissed me off more in the lead up to release, though Bayonetta 3 and Metroid Prime 4 will probably dethrone it for this dubious honour soon.

I was on the same boat, but after BOTW, I can wait as much as they want or need. And not only for Zelda, but for any game.

I'm very excited for MP4 too, but I'll wait as long as the need to make it worth. My expectations are set for a Q2 2022 at the earliest, and as a crossgen title.

Bayonetta 3 could be released this year, H1 2021 at the latest.

Just be patient and play other games, Switch has a lot.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Barkley said:

It's a game with a number of flaws and problems that show Nintendo's inexperience with creating this massive open-world type of game.

Combat is unrewarding and resulted in me eventually just running past all the random encounters, the vast majority of side quests are uninspired and bland. The world lacks variety and is copy and pasted (Every stable is the same) shrines used to pad out the game. Lack of abilities mean puzzle solving is limited, you basically just get out your magnet and look for something that glows. The map could also see improvement, making it more apparent where you've actually explored.

BOTW is saved by it's polish and soul. I didn't get caught up in any hype so it didn't have anything to live up to for me. It was an 8/10 game for me.

every aspect except cultural impact, innovation, inspiration, originality, and the other more significant things.

Mechanical and graphical improvement are a given, since that's what generally happens with newer games. But in the end, those aren't as important as the revolutionary status of the original, and the sequel is still going to largely imitate.

So don't be surprised if the original enjoys greater critical and commercial success.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 08 January 2020

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
Barkley said:

every aspect except cultural impact, innovation, inspiration, originality, and the other more significant things.

Mechanical and graphical improvement are a given, since that's what generally happens with newer games. But in the end, those aren't as important as the revolutionary status of the original, and the sequel is still going to largely imitate.

So don't be surprised if the original enjoys greater critical and commercial success.

Well I think he was talking about the actual game itself, not the impact it has on the industry. That's like saying that no mario game has eclipsed the original because the original had the most impact on the gaming industry or more broadly on culture itself. Fact is that in terms of the actual game, unless Nintendo somehow screws it up, BotW2 should definitely surpass the original in many areas because they can see what improvements people want and implement the ones they see fit. Only real question is will it feel stale cuz its in the same world, or will everything else about the game be so new and cool that people don't mind playing a new adventure in the same place all over again.

Around the Network
Slownenberg said:
Landale_Star said:

I don't often get hyped up for a game, with a new Zelda game that is trying something new I wanted to give it a fair chance. I got it day 1 with the Switch and I thought it was a good game, if I was forced to give it rating I'd say 7/10. As time passed (about 105 hours) I lost interest and never finished the game so maybe it's more a 5/10 for me now, though I did do all 4 of the temples so I could probably go back and tackle Ganon's castle. I doubt I'll buy the sequel on day 1 (I don't know anything about it so far, so there's still a chance), I think I'll wait a long time and pick it up cheap.

Even though this has been a bit disappointing for me, compared to plenty of the other Zelda games, I won't say they've ruined the franchise or that I'll never buy another Zelda game again. I'm pretty sure they'll continue to release Zelda games that I'll enjoy.

I'd say any single player game that gets you to play 105 hours (and you haven't even beaten it yet!) is pretty incredible. Maybe you should have just tried to beat it after like 80 or 90 hours instead of keep going and eventually lose interest racking up an insane amount of playtime. No matter how good any single player game is, eventually you're gonna get tired of it if you keep playing it. Seems weird to downgrade your score just cuz you played the game to death. I mean, you're saying you put over 100 hours into a game you give a 5 out of 10. That's pretty bizarre.

It's not that strange for me to put a lot of time into games I don't like or just find average. I try to give games a good chance, especially if it's from a franchise I love or a game that I feel might turn around, sometimes I'll also leave a game and come back later in hopes that it clicks with me next time. To be clear, I didn't downgrade my score because I played it to death, it was because over the course of playing, I started to realise more clearly that it was just average in my mind. In my mind 5/10 isn't bad, it's an average game that I get some enjoyment from but I might not feel the need to finish. However, I will keep returning to it, because it's ok and there is still a chance I'll change my opinion.

Last edited by Landale_Star - on 08 January 2020

TruckOSaurus said:
Jumpin said:

I don't recall a Zelda game that has even close to as much plot and subplot as Breath of the Wild. Nor do I recall one that has even close to the level of presentation.

I always think the same thing when I read the comments on the story of BotW. It's not like previous Zelda games were huge on story and if you go and find all the memories, you get a ton of story. I can understand people who didn't like the focus on the past events but saying there was less story than usual is not accurate.

Hmm, what I mean is this: classic games have after you solve a part, you get a cut-scene or dialogue or something, that guides you to your next goal. So if I say story, I also include the gameplay elements you are guided though. In BOTW you can go straight to Ganon after leaving the Plateau and skip everything else. Instead it gives you the freedom to forge your own story.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Hype?
After Skyward Sword, Zelda was dead to me.
The Zelda turnaround is one of Nintendo's most impressive achievements.
Fingers crossed they ignore the people who want to introduce game breaking mechanics to the next installment.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Yes, it has now become my all time favorite Zelda, I'm starting my four play through. I don't know if I have played another game this much.

This was a very interesting experience for me personally. I was so excited to play it when I picked up the game and switch day 1. I started, and enjoyed it well enough. I had around 5 or 6 hours into it and.... I hated it. I mean, I fucking HATED IT. I was pissed. I was asking myself, how in the fuck could anyone at these sites be saying this game was even good, much less game of the year?

I got my ass kicked all over the place .. I hated using stupid shit like branches for weapons...... i was done. I hated it. I absolutely hated it. It was pure, overrated shit. I didnt touch it again.

Then, around 2 or 3 months later..... i picked it up again. So, what i did this time was, played it for what it was, AND wasnt... this wasnt ocarina of time. So, with that in mind, i played it from an entirely different way.

This is the part that makes breath of the wild the best game I've played in decades. You get what you put into it. I played it like an idiot, and got my ass kicked. I tried to go straight into the main story too fast.

Then, I just explored. Before I even realized it, I was powerful as hell, kicking the shit out of everything..... and LOVING EVERY SECOND OF IT. I had so much fun just trying anything I could think of... this game allows so much creative freedom to the player, that there are still new things being discovered all the time on youtube.

By the time I had finally killed Gannon's final form, I had dumped over 150 hours into it, and loved all of it... aside from the 1st paragraph, that is, haha. This game will always go down as one of the best, most creative, fun games I've ever played in my life, and it is without a doubt the game of the generation, and of generations.

Truly legendary games like this should be played by everyone. The good thing is, the game will sell 20+ million in the end, so that means it is being experienced by a massive audience. It deserves nothing less.