By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mysterious SONY cartridge patent for Playstation device; "new handled or a costume SSD for PS5 ??? "

What is this ?

PS Vita 2 cartridge 4 16.00%

Sony PS5 proprietary SSD 15 60.00%

New VHS 3 12.00%

Sony going retro 2 8.00%

PSVR 2 cartridge 1 4.00%

Total:25
zero129 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Why? Well to have a proprietary device which only Sony sells instead of using off-the-shelf SSD - at premium prices, of course.

This, This and so much this. I love when I see people try to hype up this like its the 2nd coming of SSD tech. I guess all Sony's other proprietary tech was so much better than their counterpart UMD, Sony memory sticks, etc. This is just a way Sony can charge you god only knows how much for an SSD drive so you can't just go buy a cheaper SSD drive for your PS5. Well at least until someone makes an adapter like with the Vita memory cards.

Whatever man, Sony can just shut up and take my money.

Around the Network

Could be either, or one of the many patents that companies file for that they will never use.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Leynos said:
EricHiggin said:

Could the blacked out portion in the middle of the V be an attempt to try and hide a cartridge/expansion slot?

N64

You are hotlinking an image so one of them doesn't show up. The blacked out part is more likley just a label and number of the unit which Sony could track down to who leaked the image and hit them with a lawsuit for breaking NDA.

I linked them all the same way I always link pics, so not sure why one wouldn't work this time. They all still show up for me. Both N64 images are similar. One is the top cartridge slot and the other is the bottom expansion slot. The bottom slot has a cover that is closer to the same shape as the blacked out portion of the PS5 dev kit.

While I can think of many possibilities in terms of what this could mean, aside from an SSD, here's another one that's somewhat feasible.

There will be two PSV SKU's. One will be a handheld hybrid, the other a home console.

Either all PSV games will be on carts, where extra data that can't fit on the cart has to be downloaded, and the 4k BD drive is mostly there to match XB media capability, as well as allow physical BC.

or

Devs can choose carts (with any extra data being downloaded) that will work across both systems, or (multiple) 4k BD discs, but those discs must come with a download code for the hybrid.

ryuzaki57 said:
Do SSD have a label on them? And why the big hole at the bottom? This is much more looking like a Vita 2 Cartridge. I'll be praying everyday so it turns up to be one. Please, the Vita 2, please...

PS4 Stock HDD

Pro Aftermarket SSD

PS2 Memory Card

Historical Game Carts/Cards

Could be quite a few different things.

This is actually pretty damn exciting. I don't think Switch-like capabilities by PS5 could really be kept under wraps, which makes this even more mysterious.

Around the Network
zero129 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Why? Well to have a proprietary device which only Sony sells instead of using off-the-shelf SSD - at premium prices, of course.

This, This and so much this. I love when I see people try to hype up this like its the 2nd coming of SSD tech. I guess all Sony's other proprietary tech was so much better than their counterpart UMD, Sony memory sticks, etc. This is just a way Sony can charge you god only knows how much for an SSD drive so you can't just go buy a cheaper SSD drive for your PS5. Well at least until someone makes an adapter like with the Vita memory cards.

The thing is, SSDs aren't all the same spec.

A low cost SSD is much much much slower than a 2019 high-end model and by all we heard up until now Sony intends to use something that uses PCIe 4.0 spec and wants the devs to be able to make full use of this speed. Insomniac made a 1 hour presentation on how they had to limit their streaming elements a ton because ppl were slapping low performing (yes, even lower than stock) HDDs into their PS4s - a scenario Sony seems keen to avoid this time especially as the rift between low end SSDs (hardly better than regular HDDs) and high-end ones is gigantic.

Mockup

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Pemalite said:
HollyGamer said:

EDIT ; https://www.techradar.com/reviews/samsung-970-evo-plus

below is samsung spec of read and write 

This is Sony propetry SSD tech that possibly the solution for PS5

Sony has 10 GB read and write, it's fast even when you comparing it to Samsung 970 evo 

3.5GB/s is only the start of what the PC can do.
Have an array and you can easily have 42GB/s of SSD bandwidth.

In saying that, the Samsung 970 Evo isn't the fastest PC SSD anyway, it's only PCI-E 3.0 for starters... So your comparison is blatantly false to start with

"CURRENT MARKET " Sony said is faster then the current market SSD, which is true after all and i am always right 

Bofferbrauer2 said:
HollyGamer said:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps5-a-patent-dive-into-what-might-be-the-tech-behind-sonys-ssd-customisations-technical.118587/

You will not find any Nvme like this on the market 

EDIT: why would Sony bothered making a patent for it or even customize it, if it's not to cut the cost , making it more  accessible or make it even faster

If sony using normal Nvme for PS5  they will not make any patent, or making any statement.  

??? Did blu Ray expensives , Did DVD expensives . Not all the things made by Sony are expensive . Also why would they one to fuck their product . Also their newest statement said they want all PS4 player to move to PS5 as fast as possible, which is lead an affordable console's on mind. 

They are not stupid, unless you have a weird opinion with Sony or Playstation as brand. 

BraLoD said:
Leynos said:

Mockup

They shouldn't have SSD labels if we don't know what they actually are, tho

I didn't make it

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!