Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mysterious SONY cartridge patent for Playstation device; "new handled or a costume SSD for PS5 ??? "

What is this ?

PS Vita 2 cartridge 4 16.00%

Sony PS5 proprietary SSD 15 60.00%

New VHS 3 12.00%

Sony going retro 2 8.00%

PSVR 2 cartridge 1 4.00%

Total:25

Probably Sony trying to cash in a certain famous cartridge-based hybrid console from March 2017.

Around the Network

How duable hardware-wise would a PS4 Portable be?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

No doubt IMO it's an SSD expansion cart. PS5 default SSD will be on the MB but in additional I think there be an internal expansion users can upgrade. Like PS4 and PS3. You remove a screw and plug it in. I think possibly this way they only put maybe 500GB internal SSD to keep the console price down instead of going a full 1TB or more. The hidden cost in buying more storage.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Darwinianevolution said:

In a couple years, probably pretty doable.

Darwinianevolution said:

Atm for a $300 price point and good battery life. None. When the Nvidia Ampere chip arrives and waits 2 years then yes. I suspect Nintendo Switch 2 will likely use a 2nd gen Ampere Nvidia chip in 2022-2023 and since Nintendo legit cares a lot oddly about lighting they may even add a couple of RTX cores. (Ray Tracing). Sony, however, is not doing another hand held sadly.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
UltimateGamer1982 said:

Yay now I can finally resume my legend of dragoon playthrough once PS5 launches next year! 

Edit: Replying to bralod. 

Where did you stop?

Right around the time the green dragoon dies I believe. 

UltimateGamer1982 said:
BraLoD said:

Where did you stop?

Right around the time the green dragoon dies I believe. 

Damn, that's mid disc 1

Vita used cards, not cartridges.
I think old people calling cards "cartridges" is the new uninformed people calling cartridges "tapes."

Some Switch owners insist on calling the Switch game cards "cartridges" even when it says "card" on the slot.

Nothing important, just a 30-year-old pet peeve of mine =)

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:

Vita used cards, not cartridges.
I think old people calling cards "cartridges" is the new uninformed people calling cartridges "tapes."

Some Switch owners insist on calling the Switch game cards "cartridges" even when it says "card" on the slot.

Nothing important, just a 30-year-old pet peeve of mine =)

I'd say there's a very important distinction there. They are totally different technologies.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
HollyGamer said:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps5-a-patent-dive-into-what-might-be-the-tech-behind-sonys-ssd-customisations-technical.118587/

You will not find any Nvme like this on the market 

EDIT: why would Sony bothered making a patent for it or even customize it, if it's not to cut the cost , making it more  accessible or make it even faster

If sony using normal Nvme for PS5  they will not make any patent, or making any statement.  

Why? Well to have a proprietary device which only Sony sells instead of using off-the-shelf SSD - at premium prices, of course.

This, This and so much this. I love when I see people try to hype up this like its the 2nd coming of SSD tech. I guess all Sony's other proprietary tech was so much better than their counterpart UMD, Sony memory sticks, etc. This is just a way Sony can charge you god only knows how much for an SSD drive so you can't just go buy a cheaper SSD drive for your PS5. Well at least until someone makes an adapter like with the Vita memory cards.