By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mysterious SONY cartridge patent for Playstation device; "new handled or a costume SSD for PS5 ??? "

What is this ?

PS Vita 2 cartridge 4 16.00%

Sony PS5 proprietary SSD 15 60.00%

New VHS 3 12.00%

Sony going retro 2 8.00%

PSVR 2 cartridge 1 4.00%

Total:25

https://nl.letsgodigital.org/spelcomputers-games/sony-playstation-game-cartridge/

" August this year, LetsGoDigital was able to unveil a patent for a new game console . At that time it was still unknown what kind of game console it would be. Not long after, however, it became clear that it was the Sony PS5 Developers Kit. This time Sony Interactive Entertainment has again filed a patent for an unknown device at the same Brazilian patent office.

At the end of June 2019, Sony Interactive Entertainment filed a patent with the INPI (Instituto Nacional da Propriedade Industrial) in Brazil. The design patent entitled "Configuration applied to / in data recording and storage equipment" was published on November 5, 2019. Remarkably, the Developers Kit of the Sony PlayStation 5 was patented by the same body.

The application is internationally categorized as Class 14.99, with the description 'Miscellaneous', or 'Miscellaneous'. In Japan, however, this classification is described as 'Electronic game accessories'.

Yujin Morisawa is the inventor of the new product, this is the senior art director of Sony Interactive Entertainment. Morisawa is responsible for all products associated with the PlayStation brand. Partly for this reason it seems likely that Sony is developing this device for a new PlayStation product.

At the end of last year, the Dutch site Techtastic also published about an apparently new game cartridge from the same inventor. Various leading international sites, including The Verge , copied this publication. However, it turned out to be an error, because one day after the publication it was determined that it was an existing game cartridge for the Sony Toio, an interactive game for children.

This time it seems to be a brand new product. For now only one patent illustration is available, this shows a compact, thick game cartridge. A label will probably be placed on the top, which will include the game title.

It is as yet unclear in which device this cartridge can be inserted. Since the patent was applied for by Sony Interactive Entertainment, it is obvious that this device will have to do with gaming.

In the past, Sony used game cartridges for its handheld devices. For example, the Sony Vita gaming handheld uses small cartridges. Last year the Japanese manufacturer already announced that it would stop the production of physical games for the PlayStation Vita. Since then you can only buy digital games. In the meantime, the production of the handheld itself has also ended.

Whether the Sony Vita will get another successor remains unclear. In the past, Sony has already indicated not to work on a successor. This is partly due to the fact that mobile gaming via the smartphone has become particularly popular, which means that fewer people will buy a handheld.

Strangely enough, the Japanese manufacturer has so far put a minimum effort into this new trend, so there is actually no replacement for the Vita. Apart from the Nintendo Switch Lite of course. "

My opinion to this probably

1. This is the secret Sauce for PS5 super fast SSD, Sony confident that their SSD for PS5 will be much much faster then SSD for PC on current market, 

2. Some industries insider also confirm PS5 SSD will be much faster than Xbox Scarlet

3. A while ago we also found a SSD patent by Sony that has costume SRAM and dedicated chip for Sony SSD's , and it has more advantage over current SSD. 

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 09 November 2019

Around the Network
HollyGamer said:

1. This is the secret Sauce for PS5 super fast SSD, Sony confident that their SSD for PS5 will be much much faster then SSD for PC on current market, 

Let's not propagate this snippet of false information, shall we? No way can a console match the SSD capabilities of a high-end SSD setup on PC.

HollyGamer said:

2. Some industries insider also confirm PS5 SSD will be much faster than Xbox Scarlet

Only speculation. Wait till the hardware actually gets revealed.

HollyGamer said:

3. A while ago we also found a SSD patent by Sony that has costume SRAM and dedicated chip for Sony SSD's , and it has more advantage over current SSD. 

SRAM is usually reserved for L1/L2/L3 caches on CPU's, GPU's and other processors, so the controller on the SSD could have a fair amount of processing capability if it features a chunk of SRAM.
In saying that, SRAM tends to be smaller, more expensive than DRAM, so it's use in large sequential reads/writes would be limited. - Massive boon for small random reads/writes though... But no reason why it can't or won't have both, memory hierarchy's exist for a reason.

However, to say it has "more advantages" over current SSD's with large DRAM pools and SRAM on the controllers is being disingenuous. - Who makes up these claims? Current PC SSD controllers have SRAM and DRAM, unless it's a low-end SSD.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
HollyGamer said:

Let's not propagate this snippet of false information, shall we? No way can a console match the SSD capabilities of a high-end SSD setup on PC.

HollyGamer said:

Only speculation. Wait till the hardware actually gets revealed.

HollyGamer said:

SRAM is usually reserved for L1/L2/L3 caches on CPU's, GPU's and other processors, so the controller on the SSD could have a fair amount of processing capability if it features a chunk of SRAM.
In saying that, SRAM tends to be smaller, more expensive than DRAM, so it's use in large sequential reads/writes would be limited. - Massive boon for small random reads/writes though... But no reason why it can't or won't have both, memory hierarchy's exist for a reason.

However, to say it has "more advantages" over current SSD's with large DRAM pools and SRAM on the controllers is being disingenuous. - Who makes up these claims? Current PC SSD controllers have SRAM and DRAM, unless it's a low-end SSD.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps5-a-patent-dive-into-what-might-be-the-tech-behind-sonys-ssd-customisations-technical.118587/

You will not find any Nvme like this on the market 

EDIT: why would Sony bothered making a patent for it or even customize it, if it's not to cut the cost , making it more  accessible or make it even faster. 

If sony using normal Nvme for PS5  they will not make any patent, or making any statement.  

Last edited by HollyGamer - on 09 November 2019

HollyGamer said:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps5-a-patent-dive-into-what-might-be-the-tech-behind-sonys-ssd-customisations-technical.118587/

You will not find any Nvme like this on the market 

What makes you think you need to?

HollyGamer said:

EDIT: why would Sony bothered making a patent for it or even customize it, if it's not to cut the cost , making it more  accessible or make it even faster. 

If sony using normal Nvme for PS5  they will not make any patent, or making any statement.  

Never stated that Sony was/wasn't using Nvme, making this argument entirely redundant.

Just that SRAM isn't some new or novel technology never seen before that is being portrayed here... Having SRAM and not DRAM does come with allot of caveats, optimally you want both as SRAM is good at write once/read many due to it's smaller buffer size.

There are PC SSD's that feature SRAM built at the controller level with a large pool of DRAM, that is the optimal performance layout.

Either way... A patent filing is not a guarantee for the implementation of certain technologies in a console, never has been, so take it with a grain of salt until we actually get a real reveal of the hardware with appropriate breakdowns.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 09 November 2019

PlaySwitch!

Around the Network

Yay now I can finally resume my legend of dragoon playthrough once PS5 launches next year! 

Edit: Replying to bralod. 

Last edited by UltimateGamer1982 - on 09 November 2019

What should we be taking from this?

Pemalite said:
 What makes you think you need to?

My points is this the prove that they has their own proprietary solution that is not available on current PC market

Never stated that Sony was/wasn't using Nvme, making this argument entirely redundant.

Just that SRAM isn't some new or novel technology never seen before that is being portrayed here... Having SRAM and not DRAM does come with allot of caveats, optimally you want both as SRAM is good at write once/read many due to it's smaller buffer size.

There are PC SSD's that feature SRAM built at the controller level with a large pool of DRAM, that is the optimal performance layout.

Either way... A patent filing is not a guarantee for the implementation of certain technologies in a console, never has been, so take it with a grain of salt until we actually get a real reveal of the hardware with appropriate breakdowns.

Having SRAM or not is not the argument we are talking  here (Is like arguing arguing back and forth weather  AMD CU is the same with Nvidia CUDA Core)  .

The point is none of "current Nvme on the market " has all this type of combination and solution, and also it has a dedicated cpu and dedicated cache. All of it or most of it  just DRAM without Sram and without dedicated CPU . If you have the same tech that similar show  to me  (you will not find any ) because this patent is only made for Sony by Sony.   Yes SRAM is available on the market and yes they probably has small cpu , but it's not inside normal NVMe that you can buy in store for gaming RIG  , hell even PS4 costume APU using GDDR5 is not available on the normal AMD APU.

A patent filing is not guaranteed will pass in to the market, but this a prove to back up my opinion based on the current info we have so far regarding Cerny statement on how they can achieve a "fast SSD " on affordable price consoles.  

Xxain said:
What should we be taking from this?

Either for PS5 SSD , PSVR 2 or PS new handheld system. 

HollyGamer said:

My points is this the prove that they has their own proprietary solution that is not available on current PC market

And? Just because it's propriety doesn't mean squat.
The tech industry is littered with the bones of propriety technologies that failed... Case in point, Sony Memory Stick format.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_Stick

I do have to ask, what is so propriety about it? Feel free to elaborate, just so I can understand your level of understanding on this specific topic.

HollyGamer said:

Having SRAM or not is not the argument we are talking  here (Is like arguing arguing back and forth weather  AMD CU is the same with Nvidia CUDA Core)  .

I was responding to your point on a Sony patent which mentioned SRAM in the SSD... As if it was something new and novel and never seen before which is false.
So yes, SRAM is very much the argument.

HollyGamer said:

The point is none of "current Nvme on the market " has all this type of combination and solution, and also it has a dedicated cpu and dedicated cache.

What combination and solution to be precise? Fact is we don't know what implementation the Playstation 5 is going to go with... Because the hardware hasn't been revealed in any detailed breakdown. A patent doesn't mean squat.

Have you seen the Playstation 5 in person? Have you seen a tech outlet tear apart a Playstation 5 and shown us the dedicated CPU and cache for the SSD? Or are you just asserting something as factual, without knowing the facts?

And are you sure that PC SSD controllers don't have a dedicated CPU and Cache? Or is that another false assertion?

HollyGamer said:

you have the same tech that similar show  to me  (you will not find any ) because this patent is only made for Sony by Sony.

I never stated the PC has the same technology, nor did I state the PC requires the same technology to equal or better the implementation Sony goes with, making this a goal-post shifting logical fallacy.

The PC can and does have SSD implementations that will wipe the floor with the Playstation 5 because power, cost and size is not a factor.

HollyGamer said:

If   Yes SRAM is available on the market and yes they probably has small cpu , but it's not inside normal NVMe that you can buy in store for gaming RIG  , hell even PS4 costume APU using GDDR5 is not available on the normal AMD APU.

And yet. The PC can still beat the Playstation 4 in terms of performance, because it doesn't have cost, power, size limitations.

In saying that, new APU architectures (I.E. Vega) have a plethora of technologies that conserve DRAM bandwidth... Such as Delta Colour Compression, Primitive Discard, Draw Stream Binning Rasterization, Primitive Shaders, Index Cache, Improved Culling and more... Meaning it does more work per unit of bandwidth than the Playstation 4.
Once Renoire drops with DDR4 DRAM speeds of 4266mhz, things will get really interesting.

https://techreport.com/review/31224/the-curtain-comes-up-on-amds-vega-architecture/

HollyGamer said:

A patent filing is not guaranteed will pass in to the market, but this a prove to back up my opinion based on the current info we have so far regarding Cerny statement on how they can achieve a "fast SSD " on affordable price consoles.  

It proves absolutely nothing as you don't know if it's going to be in the hardware being released into the market.

Cerny's statements in regards to the SSD doesn't trump the fact that overall, the PC can have faster SSD implementations than a console could ever possibly have as it's not restricted by cost, power or size... There is this little known technology known as "RAID" after-all, which allows multiple drives to work together to bolster reliability and/or performance.