By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Shuntaro Furukawa on giving Nintendo devs freedom

A bit late on this, but this is something Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa said recently.

“Above all else, I base my decisions on the development leader’s way of thinking,” says Furukawa in a rare interview with Western media, and who spoke with TIME mostly through a translator provided by the company. “Nintendo is Nintendo because of our games, characters and IP. So giving our teams the freedom to experiment with new ideas is something I strongly agree with. Expansion can’t happen without the freedom to try something new, and the courage to step into unfamiliar territory.”

So he seems like the type who is willing to let the developers do whatever the hell they want so long as it turns some form of profit. I like this. It shows Nintendo will continue to keep a healthy balance of art, and business. I want no unique ideas like ARMS and Ring Fit Adventure going forward.

Source: https://time.com/5706432/nintendo-shuntaro-furukawa/

Around the Network

It all has start somewhere. No one knew SSSB, Splatoon or Animal Crossing would turn into the behemoths that they did. You can knock Nintendo for things like ARMS, Wii Music and 1-2 Switch, but at least Nintendo gives its devs the freedom to try them in the first place.

burninmylight said:
It all has start somewhere. No one knew SSSB, Splatoon or Animal Crossing would turn into the behemoths that they did. You can knock Nintendo for things like ARMS, Wii Music and 1-2 Switch, but at least Nintendo gives its devs the freedom to try them in the first place.

Why would anyone knock Nintendo for ARMs?

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

They can experiment with everything for all I care, just please give me traditional Paper Mario! One per gen, each referencing and building up on the story started in the original, TTYD, and Super (which had a good story if nothing else).

Shiken said:
burninmylight said:

It has motion controls and that does not appeal to hardcore gamers. At least that's the reason why I don't play this game.

Around the Network
siebensus4 said:
Shiken said:

It has motion controls and that does not appeal to hardcore gamers. At least that's the reason why I don't play this game.

You don't have to use motion controls in ARMS, though.

siebensus4 said:
Shiken said:

Is there anything more pretentious than calling yourself a hardcore gamer?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

siebensus4 said:
Shiken said:

Then play it with classic controls. Which it also have.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

siebensus4 said:

Here's an idea, and I want you to really hear me out on this:

Ahem...

...Turn. Them. Off...

And play the game with normal controls!

Jumpin said:
siebensus4 said:

Is there anything more pretentious than calling yourself a hardcore gamer?

dunno.... he could also be Vegan, although I'm guessing he would have mentioned that in the first reply.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive