By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 14 September 2019 (PS4 Tops 100M)

EricHiggin said:
Intrinsic said:

I propose a question if when the PS5 is released, and for the following 3 years after its release, all its games also run on the PS4 (albeit at 720por less or something)... dos that mean the PS5 will be grouped with the PS4 in sales?

Now to clear this up, I am not saying that the Switch lite sales should be separated, I know that won't happen and personally I don' care enough fr that... I am saying, however, that this is exactly what I predicted will happen before the Switch was even released when it was announced as a hybrid. I literally sai that a few years after that Nintendo will release a strictly handheld version of it. And that how its sales are tracked after that would be interesting.

If PS4 games run on PS5 it should be the same as well no? The majority of third party games will cover both consoles for years. They both have similar starts to their names, like PS and Switch. The only difference will be 5 and Lite which are both distinctions.

I don't see why PS5 sales wouldn't continue wherever PS4 sales stop based on this reasoning.

Good call. I also agree it's going to make things interesting, to put it one way.

Do PS5 games run on the PS4, too? If yes, then they actually could be grouped together, as the PS5 would be more like a new PS4 model than a real new console gen. Otherwise, separate the two.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
trunkswd said:
The team here at VGChartz will be reporting the sales of the regular Switch and Switch Lite together. Are there differences between the two? Of course. However, we never reported the different versions of the 3DS, DS, etc separately.

Excellent, good to see that common sense will prevail.

PS4 and Pro weren't separated, the OG Xbone and the Xbone S/X weren't separated, 3DS and 2DS weren't separated, Vita and Vita TV weren't separated, there's absolutely no reason for the Lite and the base Switch to be separated, it's just a revision of the same hardware.

Thank you for your efforts and those of the rest of the staff.

Funny enough... I have not said that its sales should be separated.

I am more interested in being people refusing to at least admit that it's not the same console that was released in 2017. For the very reasons, they championed back then...

If anything... my agenda is that the switch should be called what I always said it was before it launched... a handheld. That just happens to be able to plug into a TV.

Another interesting take on this... if the Switch goes onto sell 130M units. Of which 90M of those ales come from the lite (strictly handheld version) is the platform still considerd as a hybrid?

Intrinsic said:
curl-6 said:

Excellent, good to see that common sense will prevail.

PS4 and Pro weren't separated, the OG Xbone and the Xbone S/X weren't separated, 3DS and 2DS weren't separated, Vita and Vita TV weren't separated, there's absolutely no reason for the Lite and the base Switch to be separated, it's just a revision of the same hardware.

Thank you for your efforts and those of the rest of the staff.

Funny enough... I have not said that its sales should be separated.

I am more interested in being people refusing to at least admit that it's not the same console that was released in 2017. For the very reasons, they championed back then...

If anything... my agenda is that the switch should be called what I always said it was before it launched... a handheld. That just happens to be able to plug into a TV.

Another interesting take on this... if the Switch goes onto sell 130M units. Of which 90M of those ales come from the lite (strictly handheld version) is the platform still considerd as a hybrid?

2DS isn't the same system that launched in 2011, Pro isn't the same PS4 that launched in 2013, revisions changing fundamental aspects of a system is nothing new.

As for the age old question of "is the Switch a handheld/hybrid/console" I honestly think that's a pointless argument. Call it whatever you want, it ultimately doesn't matter.

Intrinsic said:
SpokenTruth said:

1. Yeah, that's not going to happen at all.  What indicators exist to even suggest it?

2. Forward compatibility?  You are expecting Scarlet games to run on Xbox One (2013) consoles?

Technically, with xbox game pass/X cloud... that is exactly what MS is trying to do. If MS has their way, you won't even need an xbox to play any game on thei platform.

But the relevan of the point isn't about it happening or not. Its that if something like that does happen, based on what s happening now, wouldn't the next Xbox or whatever be grouped together? Or even te PS5if somehow for the first 3 years all the games also work on the PS4. Wee d we draw the line?

Well Halo Infinite, which MS is shouting from the mountain tops is launching with Scarlett, will work on all XB1's, and supposedly flawlessly. If it's called Xbox One anything, then it should fall under XB1 sales then.

Also, isn't Wii U basically just an upgraded Wii? Do their sales combine?

SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

Well Halo Infinite, which MS is shouting from the mountain tops is launching with Scarlett, will work on all XB1's, and supposedly flawlessly. If it's called Xbox One anything, then it should fall under XB1 sales then.

So I can buy a Xbox Scarlet disc of Gears 5 and it will run on my Xbox One (2013)?  

Bold: Did you really just ask that question?

Do XB1X discs exist?

CPU:

Wii: Single-core, 32-bit, PowerPC-based Broadway microprocessor @ 729MHz.
Wii U: Triple-core, 32-bit, PowerPC-based Espresso microprocessor @ 1.243GHz.

RAM:

Wii: 88MB total.
Wii U: 2GB total, 1GB reserved for OS.

Internal storage:

Wii: 512MB
Wii U: 8GB-32GB depending on model.

Graphics:
Wii: 243 MHz ATI "Hollywood"
Wii U: 550 MHz AMD Radeon "Latte"

Supported media:
Wii: GCN games (only on older models), Wii games.
Wii U: Wii games, Wii U games.

Supported controllers:
Wii: Wii Remote, GCN controller (only on older models), Classic Controller.
Wii U: Wii U gamepad, Wii remote, Classic Controller, Wii U Pro controller. (GCN controllers are supported in one game, and that requires an extra peripheral.)

Connectivity options:

Wii: AV multi-out supporting SCART, Component, or Composite cables. 2 USB 2.0 ports. SD card slot. 2 GCN memory card slots (only on older models).
Wii U: HDMI out, AV multi-out supporting SCART, Component, or Composite cables. 4 USB 2.0 ports. SD card slot.

To sum it up… in terms of hardware, the Wii U is a really souped-up Wii, which itself was a really souped-up GameCube. The only reason they didn’t have backwards compatibility all the way to the GameCube is because they’d already removed that functionality from later Wii systems in a cost-cutting measure because didn’t want to bother including the ports and memory card slots for a decade-old system. Additionally, they added some GameCube games to the Virtual Console, which probably actually made them a little money.

Other than that, the GamePad really is the main selling point of the system. It basically lets you play some games without having the TV available, lets you use a stylus like you do on the 3DS in others, and most often acts as an internal game menu that doesn’t require you to pause the game.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-differences-between-Nintendo-Wii-and-Nintendo-Wii-U

*I should point out that ATI was bought by AMD so the graphics are the same, just upgraded like the mid gen consoles.*

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
EricHiggin said:

Do XB1X discs exist?

CPU:

Wii: Single-core, 32-bit, PowerPC-based Broadway microprocessor @ 729MHz.
Wii U: Triple-core, 32-bit, PowerPC-based Espresso microprocessor @ 1.243GHz.

RAM:

Wii: 88MB total.
Wii U: 2GB total, 1GB reserved for OS.

Internal storage:

Wii: 512MB
Wii U: 8GB-32GB depending on model.

Graphics:
Wii: 243 MHz ATI "Hollywood"
Wii U: 550 MHz AMD Radeon "Latte"

Supported media:
Wii: GCN games (only on older models), Wii games.
Wii U: Wii games, Wii U games.

Supported controllers:
Wii: Wii Remote, GCN controller (only on older models), Classic Controller.
Wii U: Wii U gamepad, Wii remote, Classic Controller, Wii U Pro controller. (GCN controllers are supported in one game, and that requires an extra peripheral.)

Connectivity options:

Wii: AV multi-out supporting SCART, Component, or Composite cables. 2 USB 2.0 ports. SD card slot. 2 GCN memory card slots (only on older models).
Wii U: HDMI out, AV multi-out supporting SCART, Component, or Composite cables. 4 USB 2.0 ports. SD card slot.

To sum it up… in terms of hardware, the Wii U is a really souped-up Wii, which itself was a really souped-up GameCube. The only reason they didn’t have backwards compatibility all the way to the GameCube is because they’d already removed that functionality from later Wii systems in a cost-cutting measure because didn’t want to bother including the ports and memory card slots for a decade-old system. Additionally, they added some GameCube games to the Virtual Console, which probably actually made them a little money.

Other than that, the GamePad really is the main selling point of the system. It basically lets you play some games without having the TV available, lets you use a stylus like you do on the 3DS in others, and most often acts as an internal game menu that doesn’t require you to pause the game.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-differences-between-Nintendo-Wii-and-Nintendo-Wii-U

*I should point out that ATI was bought by AMD so the graphics are the same, just upgraded like the mid gen consoles.*

Why did you just throw down a whole ton of information on the part that wasn't bolded?  

EricHiggin said:

Looks like two questions to me, and since based on your reply question, it didn't seem like you understood or agreed, so I gave you some info in case that's what you were lacking. If you don't require it because you already know it then I'm sure you just ignored it, right?

If Switch and Switch Lite should count together, like the PS4's and XB1's, then so should Wii and Wii U, and maybe even GCN.

This thread is actually making my right eye twitch as I read further and further into it... I wasn't even aware that a single thread could do that. I'm impressed in a way, maybe because this thread is making my eye feel bad a doctor could say that this thread is technically the same as pink eye and should be lumped in with the sales for pink eye?

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

SpokenTruth said:
Somebody come save this thread. Save it. Save it for future prosperity and from becoming a greater train wreck than it already has become.

And start a new thread to keep the train wreck going. This is too good.

And its talk like what you are doing that is killing this community. Shouldn't be people shaming just because someone has a different take on something.

I am not pissing on the Switch, nor am I even saying that its sales should be combined. And I am not even trying to pretend like I am some sort of low key supporter of Nintendo, most that know me on here know my preferences and know where I stand with regards to Nintendo. All that however doesn't make my point or at least opinion any less valid.

And all I am saying, and its the same thing I said when the NS was announced, is this; The Switch lite is a "handheld". Clearly so because it lacks the one feature that gave many here carte blanche to call the Switch a hybrid. Which brings me to my second point, the original switch was always a handheld. Just one that could be plugged into a TV.

This is relevant to me because back in 2017, there were a number of people on here that gave me stick for saying just this same thing. And back then I told them that not only is the Switch the successor of the 3DS, that very soon Nintendo will mak a handheld only version of the switch and take out the "TV feature" entirely.

I was accused then of saying all that only because I wanted the switch to be tracked as a handheld as opposed to a home console because I was saying the switch wasn't a direct competitor to the PS4/XB1. 

And now, the switch lite happened.

Intrinsic said:
SpokenTruth said:
Somebody come save this thread. Save it. Save it for future prosperity and from becoming a greater train wreck than it already has become.

And start a new thread to keep the train wreck going. This is too good.

And its talk like what you are doing that is killing this community. Shouldn't be people shaming just because someone has a different take on something.

I am not pissing on the Switch, nor am I even saying that its sales should be combined. And I am not even trying to pretend like I am some sort of low key supporter of Nintendo, most that know me on here know my preferences and know where I stand with regards to Nintendo. All that however doesn't make my point or at least opinion any less valid.

And all I am saying, and its the same thing I said when the NS was announced, is this; The Switch lite is a "handheld". Clearly so because it lacks the one feature that gave many here carte blanche to call the Switch a hybrid. Which brings me to my second point, the original switch was always a handheld. Just one that could be plugged into a TV.

This is relevant to me because back in 2017, there were a number of people on here that gave me stick for saying just this same thing. And back then I told them that not only is the Switch the successor of the 3DS, that very soon Nintendo will mak a handheld only version of the switch and take out the "TV feature" entirely.

I was accused then of saying all that only because I wanted the switch to be tracked as a handheld as opposed to a home console because I was saying the switch wasn't a direct competitor to the PS4/XB1. 

And now, the switch lite happened.

People gave you stick for not understanding what a hybrid system is back in 2017 and you still don't understand what that means and you're getting stick for it again.

The psp is a handheld, because it just works as a handheld, the pspgo is a hybrid because it works as both, both are in the same sales category because they're the same system just a different form factor. (I know there are some psp models with tv out, the 2000 series, but they can't output all their software and games, just some limited tv out displays)

The psvita is a handheld because it works just as a handheld, the pstv is a home console, because it does not work as a handheld, it is still a Vita because it is the same system , just a different form factor.

The WiiU is not a Wii.... it looks like a Wii, but it has completely different hardware under the plastic casing, it uses a different OS, Different software, wildly different specification but.... in ways it has the same form factor as the Wii.... but it is not a Wii, nor is it a gamecube, them both using the same manufacture of CPU/GPU inside is the same reason that the NVIDIA 260 and 2080TI are not seen as the same graphics cards, even though they both have a NVIDIA logo on them and are both graphics cards.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

EricHiggin said:

Looks like two questions to me, and since based on your reply question, it didn't seem like you understood or agreed, so I gave you some info in case that's what you were lacking. If you don't require it because you already know it then I'm sure you just ignored it, right?

If Switch and Switch Lite should count together, like the PS4's and XB1's, then so should Wii and Wii U, and maybe even GCN.

The Wii U wasn't a hardware revision by any means like the PS4 Pro/Slim, Xbox One X/S, Switch Lite, or the Wii Mini. It was the next generation console and successor to the Wii, just like the Wii was the next generation console and successor to the GameCube. So of course their sales are separated. By your logic, the PS1, PS2, and PS3 should all be counted together.