By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What new inputs could the DualShock 5 add?

NightlyPoe said:
Would be nice if Sony evolved up to the mid-90s and made the analog stick the default one of these generations.

Default?! You mean change nothing? Because the PS4 design is the default among consoles...by default. Sony was the dual analog stick original, which happened after the "mid-90's". The next "innovation" was the Dreamcast "inspired" XB off-center controller from 2001. The actual DC controller was garbage. The GC controller needs a mention for existing... "they basically just stuck a couple of analog sticks to their existing controllers and called it a day". Yeah, because the dual analog setup CHANGED NOTHING. Is that your assessment of the core controller design that has been the industry standard for over 2 decades? Because we all still pine for the days of the superior N64 controller.....Nintendo made a square wheel. Amazing at the time. Then Sony made it circle, and everything since has been a slight variation.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Azzanation said:

Impulse Triggers?

Still don't know what those are...

Wiki Summary: Each trigger features independent rumble motors called "Impulse Triggers", which allows developers to program directional vibration. One trigger can be made to vibrate when firing a gun, or both can work together to create feedback that indicates the direction of an incoming hit.

The thing with Sony (just my observation) is that they see what other companies are doing well and they just borrow that.

Examples?

PS1:
-PS1 controller was basically just an SNES controller with handles. Added a couple more triggers.
-N64 showed off analog stick (and yes, it wasn't the first analog stick.) Sony creates analog controller.
-N64 shows off Rumble Pack. Sony creates Dual Shock.

PS2:
-Dreamcast has analog triggers.
-Sony makes every button analog. Microsoft copies. Nobody takes advantage of the feature. Everyone drops it.

PS3:
-Nintendo shows off motion controls for Wii. Sony adds motion controls to SIXAXIS.

PS4:
-Ouya (yes the friggin Ouya!) had a touch pad. Sony adds touch pad to PS4.
-Wii remote had a speaker. PS4 adds speaker.

Kudos to Sony for the headphone jack and dual analog layout, home button, share button, L3 and R3 though.

Based on their track record, I suspect they'll add the ability to play with half a controller in each hand. Maybe some VR support stuff.

Last edited by d21lewis - on 14 July 2019

The only two things I really want from Dual Shock 5 is a built in Mic, and for the PS Button to be concave and recessed.

The Impulse Triggers from the XBO controller would be nice. They do offer a massive improvement from Racing games.

I see some possabilities with a touch screen replacing the touch pad, but it would not be gaming related. Personally, I would not want a bright light pointed at my face while I'm gaming, the Xbox Logo on the XBO controller is bad enough, a screen would only be worse.

One thing I don't want to see changed is the placement of the Sticks. The Symetrical layout, with both sticks in the Primary position is as good as it gets.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Official pro edition, improve the rumble, custom paint jobs. Large hands version.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:

The thing with Sony (just my observation) is that they see what other companies are doing well and they just borrow that.

Yes. Like literally every other company?

Keep it exactly the same and improve battery live. Never going to hapoen, but I would be perfectly fine with it.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Hey people, I like the DualShock's control sticks located where they are! They're aligned. I like aligned. Aligned is magical.

Sony has been following a "copy Nintendo" strategy since the very beginning. They basically just take whatever new thing Nintendo is doing and try to shove it into their current controller design. With this in mind, the PS5 controller will likely be just like the PS4 controller but with HD Rumble.

I want a pentagon button.