By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What new inputs could the DualShock 5 add?

The only thing I've ever considered adding to the Dual Shock or most other controllers is an extra two face buttons, for 6 in total. I think this worked well on the Saturn and although it does break the simplicity of just four buttons in a diamond arrangement, I think 6 buttons is manageable, the Xbox did have 6 but I didn't like how offset they were, I'd prefer them to follow in line with the current 4 buttons. I don't expect many people would like it though and 4 buttons does suffice most of the time. Sony would never change their iconic 4 symbols anyway.

I don't much like the idea of adding more to already feature packed controllers which are ever rising in cost. So really I'd be fine with no additional inputs, it's a great controller as it is. In fact, I might like a slightly cheaper version without rumble.

Around the Network
Jaicee said:

Hey people, I like the DualShock's control sticks located where they are! They're aligned. I like aligned. Aligned is magical.

Yeah, I have no problem with the layout of most controllers. When I see people saying the left stick needs to be in the upper left I don't get why. Why doesn't the right stick need to be upper right too? I can understand that on older PS consoles it was possible to touch thumbs if you rotated both sticks towards each other so that could be a small issue, but that's a spacing problem that DS4 fixed and not an inherent problem with left stick placement. Wii U, Xbox and PlayStation all have a different arrangement of the sticks but my thumbs can handle them with ease. I guess I have super thumbs.

The joycons do give me a bit of trouble, I find them slightly small and a bit easy to press the shoulder buttons unintentionally but still with a bit of use I can adjust in most games.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Sony has been following a "copy Nintendo" strategy since the very beginning. They basically just take whatever new thing Nintendo is doing and try to shove it into their current controller design. With this in mind, the PS5 controller will likely be just like the PS4 controller but with HD Rumble.

Nintendo invented everything!

Replicant said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Sony has been following a "copy Nintendo" strategy since the very beginning. They basically just take whatever new thing Nintendo is doing and try to shove it into their current controller design. With this in mind, the PS5 controller will likely be just like the PS4 controller but with HD Rumble.

Motion controls go back to the power glove.  The Wii was the first time they were done right though.  Basically Nintendo did it first (power glove) and they also did it best (Wii).  You're right!  Nintendo really did invent everything.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Motion controls go back to the power glove.  The Wii was the first time they were done right though.  Basically Nintendo did it first (power glove) and they also did it best (Wii).  You're right!  Nintendo really did invent everything.

Yeah. That's what I'm saying. Nintendo invented everything!

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
NightlyPoe said:

I say it's the default because the controller was designed so that your hands naturally fall on the D-pad and you need to adjust and stretch your grip to use the analog stick.

All other controllers since 1996 have been designed so your hand naturally falls on the analog stick.

No, my hand naturally falls where it is.

Whatever 3D movement I need to make has my two hands placed perfectly. My two thumbs are always aligned when moving.

I sincerely hope they never change that.

Agreed. My hands are symmetrical, so my controller should be, too.

BraLoD said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

What a massive load...

Agreed doubly. Hilarious that Nintendo fans really have no clue about the history of gaming, so believe Nintendo originated it all.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Replicant said:

Also, Nintendo played no role in designing or releasing the Power Glove. That would be Mattel.

NightlyPoe said:

BraLoD said:

No, my hand naturally falls where it is.

Whatever 3D movement I need to make has my two hands placed perfectly. My two thumbs are always aligned when moving.

I sincerely hope they never change that.

I think you're just used to the inferior design.  I mean, there's a reason why literally no one else has had a D-pad default layout in over 20 years.

A very highly rated controller. But, I guess in your mind Nintendo screwed up and it was actually garbage.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 14 July 2019

An off switch for the stupid light bar.

A button to transform it into a DS3.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

thismeintiel said:
BraLoD said:

What a massive load...

Agreed doubly. Hilarious that Nintendo fans really have no clue about the history of gaming, so believe Nintendo originated it all.

It's a fact that Nintendo designed or used first many of the input features common nowdays in controllers.. it's absolutely history of videogames.

Nintendo implemented for first: D-PAD (nes, gamewatch), 4-buttons layout (snes), shoulder buttons (snes), analog stick (n64), rumble (n64), 4-players controllers (n64, gamecube), motion sensors (wii), gamepad with touchscreen display (wii U), detachable dual controllers (switch), hd-rumble (switch), dual-screen gameplay (ds), microphone gameplay (ds), stereoscopic 3D gameplay (virtualboy, 3ds).

It's simply their philosophy to experiment and innovate on input device and gameplay, and it's one of the reason Nintendo is still here unlike Atari or Sega.

Last edited by JimmyFantasy - on 15 July 2019

I hope that they at least won't remove features again, and possibly bring the pressure sensitive face buttons back.