By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What new inputs could the DualShock 5 add?

BraLoD said:
NightlyPoe said:

I say it's the default because the controller was designed so that your hands naturally fall on the D-pad and you need to adjust and stretch your grip to use the analog stick.

All other controllers since 1996 have been designed so your hand naturally falls on the analog stick.

No, my hand naturally falls where it is.

Whatever 3D movement I need to make has my two hands placed perfectly. My two thumbs are always aligned when moving.

I sincerely hope they never change that.

Agreed. My hands are symmetrical, so my controller should be, too.

BraLoD said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Sony has been following a "copy Nintendo" strategy since the very beginning. They basically just take whatever new thing Nintendo is doing and try to shove it into their current controller design. With this in mind, the PS5 controller will likely be just like the PS4 controller but with HD Rumble.

What a massive load...

Agreed doubly. Hilarious that Nintendo fans really have no clue about the history of gaming, so believe Nintendo originated it all.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Replicant said:

Nintendo invented everything!

Motion controls go back to the power glove.  The Wii was the first time they were done right though.  Basically Nintendo did it first (power glove) and they also did it best (Wii).  You're right!  Nintendo really did invent everything.

Also, Nintendo played no role in designing or releasing the Power Glove. That would be Mattel.

NightlyPoe said:

BraLoD said:

Whatever 3D movement I need to make has my two hands placed perfectly. My two thumbs are always aligned when moving.

I think you're just used to the inferior design.  I mean, there's a reason why literally no one else has had a D-pad default layout in over 20 years.

A very highly rated controller. But, I guess in your mind Nintendo screwed up and it was actually garbage.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 14 July 2019

Around the Network
BraLoD said:

Don't you know the natural thumb position is like 40 degrees, not the unnatural 80 degrees that the DS4 makes you put your hands?  

An off switch for the stupid light bar.

A button to transform it into a DS3.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

thismeintiel said:
BraLoD said:

What a massive load...

Agreed doubly. Hilarious that Nintendo fans really have no clue about the history of gaming, so believe Nintendo originated it all.

It's a fact that Nintendo designed or used first many of the input features common nowdays in controllers.. it's absolutely history of videogames.

Nintendo implemented for first: D-PAD (nes, gamewatch), 4-buttons layout (snes), shoulder buttons (snes), analog stick (n64), rumble (n64), 4-players controllers (n64, gamecube), motion sensors (wii), gamepad with touchscreen display (wii U), detachable dual controllers (switch), hd-rumble (switch), dual-screen gameplay (ds), microphone gameplay (ds), stereoscopic 3D gameplay (virtualboy, 3ds).

It's simply their philosophy to experiment and innovate on input device and gameplay, and it's one of the reason Nintendo is still here unlike Atari or Sega.

Last edited by JimmyFantasy - on 15 July 2019

Around the Network

I hope that they at least won't remove features again, and possibly bring the pressure sensitive face buttons back.

Replicant said:
d21lewis said:

The thing with Sony (just my observation) is that they see what other companies are doing well and they just borrow that.

Yes. Like literally every other company?

Exactly. I thought I made that clear.

Twitter: @d21lewis

JimmyFantasy said:
thismeintiel said:

It's a fact that Nintendo designed or used first many of the input features common nowdays in controllers.. it's absolutely history of videogames.

Nintendo implemented for first: D-PAD (nes, gamewatch), 4-buttons layout (snes), shoulder buttons (snes), analog stick (n64), rumble (n64), motion sensors (wii), gamepad with touchscreen (wii U), detachable dual controllers (switch), hd-rumble (switch), dual-screen gameplay (ds), microphone gameplay (ds), stereoscopic gameplay (virtualboy, 3ds).

It's simply their philosophy to experiment and innovate on input device and gameplay, and it's one of the reason Nintendo is still here unlike Atari or Sega.

Why is it that some Nintendo fans have such a hard time understanding that nearly every innovation is a refinement of something existing? Like Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo has popularized a lot of things but that doesn't mean they invented them.

Replicant said:
JimmyFantasy said:

Nintendo implemented for first: D-PAD (nes, gamewatch), 4-buttons layout (snes), shoulder buttons (snes), analog stick (n64), rumble (n64), motion sensors (wii), gamepad with touchscreen (wii U), detachable dual controllers (switch), hd-rumble (switch), dual-screen gameplay (ds), microphone gameplay (ds), stereoscopic gameplay (virtualboy, 3ds).

Why is it that some Nintendo fans have such a hard time understanding that nearly every innovation is a refinement of something existing? Like Sony and Microsoft, Nintendo has popularized a lot of things but that doesn't mean they invented them.

I just wanted to point out that a lot of that pic is incorrect--there was paidponline before XBL, memory cards before PS1, and discs before PS1 also. But yeah, Nintendo doesn't really invent anything. They just take existing stuff and use it in creative ways. And, like everyone else, when something works it becomes standard. When it doesn't, it gets forgotten.

All of the current big 3 did things that weren't being done and have become standard. From Achievements to "L3/R3". It's the industry. I agree with your point though. I'm just an asshole sometimes. 

*Edit* I got bored and googled a lot of those things in that first image and many only vaugely resemble what Nintendo did with the preexisting tech. It's almost as bad as the Game Informer article that said the first Achievements were these stickers you got for mailing in pictures of video game scores! I mean if you really want to stretch your imagination, I guess technically they count...

Last edited by d21lewis - on 15 July 2019

Twitter: @d21lewis

d21lewis said:

Replicant said:

1: I just wanted to point out that a lot of that pic is incorrect--there was paidponline before XBL, memory cards before PS1, and discs before PS1 also. But yeah, Nintendo doesn't really invent anything. They just take existing stuff and use it in creative ways. And, like everyone else, when something works it becomes standard. When it doesn't, it gets forgotten.

2: All of the current big 3 did things that weren't being done and have become standard. From Achievements to "L3/R3". It's the industry. I agree with your point though. I'm just an asshole sometimes. 

*Edit* I got bored and googled a lot of those things in that first image and many only vaugely resemble what Nintendo did with the preexisting tech. It's almost as bad as the Game Informer article that said the first Achievements were these stickers you got for mailing in pictures of video game scores! I mean if you really want to stretch your imagination, I guess technically they count...

1: Probably. And it's not my pics but at least they show that "innovations" are in most cases "refinements".

2: Just to be clear, I didn't like your comment because I agree that you're an asshole