By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What new inputs could the DualShock 5 add?

When it comes to controllers, each of the big 3 have their own philosophy. Nintendo radically changes their controllers each system, going from an tri-handle shape of the N64, to a dual handle and weird button layout of the GameCube, then a remote, a giant tablet, and now currently on detachable gum-sticks. Microsoft sticks to tradition, barely adding to or changing the functionality of the Xbox Controller since its introduction. Sony however, has always been a happy medium between Microsoft and Nintendo. Innovating on input methods, while not tampering with the core design and layout. Even the DualShock 4, the first major redesign of the controller, still fundamentally feels like a controller from the late 90s. Each DualShock has added something new with each PlayStation console. The DualShock 2 for the PS2 introduced pressure sensitive face-buttons, the DualShock 3 introduced Sixaxis motion controls, and the DualShock 4 introduced a touchpad.

Keeping with the formula, what new input or feature could Sony introduce in the DualShock 5? I think the DS5 could implement a Switch-like HD Rumble feature, which would help with VR, but I struggle to think what other inputs could be added. The DS4 is already one of the most fully featured controllers on the market, so unless it's something we've never seen before, I don't know what else could be added.

Around the Network

More buttons. Basically, just cover the whole thing in buttons.

I would highly recommend they steal the Rumble Triggers form the X1 controller. Games like GT will benefit a lot from it. Its also a great feature to have on all games especially shooters.

They push gyro-aiming for shooters.

Azzanation said:
I would highly recommend they steal the Rumble Triggers form the X1 controller. Games like GT will benefit a lot from it. Its also a great feature to have on all games especially shooters.

What's a rumble trigger?

KLAMarine said:

Azzanation said:

What's a rumble trigger?

Impulse Triggers?

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
KLAMarine said:

What's a rumble trigger?

Impulse Triggers?

Still don't know what those are...

NightlyPoe said:
Would be nice if Sony evolved up to the mid-90s and made the analog stick the default one of these generations.

?

Get rid of the d pad and add an extra stick

Let’s do away with buttons and sticks except one button. Just a pad with one button. It is gonna be revolutionary!!!!!

On the first page and we've already got a "make it like Xbox" response.

On topic, I would build a microphone into the controller... But I dunno how that would work with button clicks. There would have to be a pretty good noise rejection algorithm built into it as well. Outside of that, I guess they could make the touchpad a touchscreen? I honestly can't think of much, the DS4 already has a lot going on to consider adding anything else.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:
On the first page and we've already got a "make it like Xbox" response.

On topic, I would build a microphone into the controller... But I dunno how that would work with button clicks. There would have to be a pretty good noise rejection algorithm built into it as well. Outside of that, I guess they could make the touchpad a touchscreen? I honestly can't think of much, the DS4 already has a lot going on to consider adding anything else.

I want to see an official PS controller with clear buttons. The X1 looks real cool with 'em.