By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Lite Officially Revealed - $199, September 20th, Dedicated Handheld

I've own something like that before. Think it was called the Game Gear.

I mean this is kinda expected. If they are ditching the dedicated Home Console and separate handheld setup like they are with Switch (obvious as Pokemon is on Switch, not a dedicated handheld as it usually is). Having a single Switch unit which is only handheld makes sense. Good luck to it, we need the inudstry to grow and move away from microtransaction filled 'AAA' games and at least the console makers are going in the right direction.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
potato_hamster said:

I came up with several reasons why, you just don't like them.

And, what is my agenda?

No, you came up with one reason. "It can be used as a handheld." Of course it can, it wouldn't be a hybrid if it couldn't.

Where did I say "it can be used as a handheld"?

It is a handheld. Full stop. It's the accessories that it often ships with that allows you to dock your handheld console to a TV and use a controller with it. If you want to count that as making it "a hybrid console", by all means do so, accept the marketing. I'm not exactly stopping you.

Yeah if it can´t be docked to your TV the name 'Switch' loses its meaning.

Bandorr said:
"I have a great idea for an item. It switches between being docked and handheld.
Sounds good what will we call it?
How about the switch since it can be one thing then another?
Brilliant!!"

"I have an idea for an item. It will be portable only.
So it can't be docked? Or connected to the TV at all?
No
Great what do we call it?
Switch lite!"

Definitely feels like Nintendo didn't think this through. The whole console is named on a concept that the "lesser" one can't do.

People need to learn the difference between a brand name and a functional description.

Not all "PlayStations" are stationary (PlayStation Portable, PlayStation Vita). MicroSoft ain't micro anymore, it is pretty big. Apple has nothing to do with the fruits on a tree.

BOOM! I love it!

Switch!!!

Around the Network

I'm not concerned about it not being able to be docked. And this is coming from someone who almost never uses his Switch in handheld mode. But there is definitely a market for the Switch Lite, and at $200 it still offers plenty of value. As long as they keep making the regular Switch (which they 100% will), then this introduction is only good.

Although, serious question here, will the ugly colors hurt sales?

NNID: garretslarrity

Steam: garretslarrity

Hiku said:
potato_hamster said:

I came up with several reasons why, you just don't like them.

And, what is my agenda?

I see you posting reasons for why you wouldn't call other systems "hybrid", but not why Switch (the original model) isn't a valid home console.
What other/future Switch models do doesn't change what the original model can do.

Aside from that, if the rumored Switch Pro that was delayed can't be played in handheld mode, but is permanently docked, would that change your outlook?

I don't see what's so hard to understand. Just because a handheld can be connected to a TV and use a separate controller doesn't make it a home console. If it does, than there's several handhelds that can be considered "home consoles", starting with the Sega Nomad. If you want to use a term that broad to define "hybrid console" then all the power to you. Like I said, it's a marketing term. It's literally a matter of opinion.

If Nintendo makes a "switch" that can only be connected to a TV and doesn't have an independant power supply, Nintendo will have released a weak home console that plays Switch games. That doesn't make that console a hybrid. And if it did, that would mean that the PS4 has to be considered a hybrid since Sony bundled the PS4 and the PS Vita together in Europe and therefore "out of the box" you were able to play any PS4 game as long as you had a strong enough wireless (possibly 3g? not sure) connection, does that mean the 

Let me turn it around. Let's say Sony makes a portable PS4, and has a separate dock accessory that allows to connect the portable to a TV, and sync multiple PS4 controllers to it, is that "a hybrid console" in your mind? Why or why not? If not, if Sony then creates a bundle that includes the dock accessory in one box, does that make it a hybrid?

Green098 said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Does anyone know of games that don't support handheld mode? From what I recall all the games I own do support it.

I can't think of much outside of 1-2-Switch and Nintendo Labo.

TruckOSaurus said:
Does anyone know of games that don't support handheld mode? From what I recall all the games I own do support it.

How about Just Dance, for starters?

Or Super Mario Party?

Will VGC count the Lite sales together with the regular one? Or at least this one will be counted as handheld console?

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Nice.
I... Actually fully expect a switch pro Launching next march, 1080p screen, maybe 1440p output at 350, with a revised dock that allows switch light docking.