By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Lite Officially Revealed - $199, September 20th, Dedicated Handheld

HoangNhatAnh said:
DonFerrari said:

Your first argument is the same of people that said they would pay 60 on XBL or PS just for the discount and free games. Myself I don't play MP at all, still have the sub for like 4 years.

Have I said Nintendo is greedy for not selling the HW at loss? Nope, I said for me it is overprice considering the other HW released selling for 50 loss while Switch would be 50 profit.

Nintendo get this complains and deserve it and you know it. Their online was much worse and even Nintendo community complained to pay for it on that state. Every company discount their games from 6-12 months after release and forward.

MS and Sony are making money, so not sure why wouldn't Nintendo make money. It is more like some people preffer to defend Nintendo on what they do that is  less value than the competitors. Like it is some kind of pleasure to pay more for the same.

Then, vita is overprice too for $250 hardware + almost $50 memory card? 

"Nintendo get this complains and deserve it and you know it" "Every company discount their games from 6-12 months after release and forward" Yeah, deserve to make money on hardware and software more than Sony since they know how to manage their own finance and make games that still hold value after several years unlike the others

"It is more like some people preffer to defend Nintendo on what they do that is  less value than the competitors. Like it is some kind of pleasure to pay more for the same." That's the same when Sony fans defend censorship on ps4 by Sony and enjoy some 3rd party games on ps4 with way less contents

It also didn't help the Vita didn't have a lot of games for the mainstream crowd. The switch lite will have all of Nintendo's IPs and the third party is starting to come in as well. Also, I wouldn't be suprise if Microsoft release some of their games like Halo, Sea of thieves and maybe even gears of war on the switch.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Does the Switch dock cost Nintendo less than the $60 Sony and MS charge to allow online multiplayer?

(I thought PS4 and XB1 both sold at a profit this gen https://www.techinsights.com/blog/playstation-4-vs-xbox-one-teardown-comparison)

Yes it does, and yes both Sony and MS are greedy on their charging of multiplayer (but not sure why you are asking since Nintendo isn't doing much better on charging for online are they?)

PS4 and X1 sold for a loss at the start of the gen. Sony said they broke even with one game and PS+ sold with a console. That is were the 50 loss per HW assumption comes from (there is no precise and official loss per HW).

Selling HW at a loss at the start of the generation is a strategy used for over 20 years on console world and have nothing to do with not being able to manage own finances or HW being undesireable.

One thing to keep in mind is that Nintendo has rarely sold at a loss with the 3DS and Wii U being exceptions. Nintendo, unlike Sony and Microsoft, relies heavily on its video game business because it IS their main business. Sure, they have theme parks, movies, mobile games on their plate, but they all revolve around the success of their IPs, which rely on the sales of hardware and software.

So Nintendo has little room to bleed money compared to the other two. Not to mention that they have more revenue to utilize, not just from their home console brands.

$200 USD seems fair to me for what is currently the highest quality handheld gaming experience available.

Heck, I paid $480 AUD for my regular Switch and I don't consider myself to have ripped off as I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of it.