By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch Lite Officially Revealed - $199, September 20th, Dedicated Handheld

0D0 said:
garretslarrity said:

If you're asking if VGC will put the Switch bar on the left or the right, I think they'll stick with left. Because that's where it is now.

That'd be totally unfair. Lite is handheld console capable of selling even more than the regular. Families will buy multiples of it. Putting a Swich sales bar that includes Lite sales against PS4 bar is just wrong. I hope someone from the staff can clarify that.

This is VGChartz, of course they will count it the same when it is not, you crazy?

Around the Network
0D0 said:
garretslarrity said:

If you're asking if VGC will put the Switch bar on the left or the right, I think they'll stick with left. Because that's where it is now.

That'd be totally unfair. Lite is handheld console capable of selling even more than the regular. Families will buy multiples of it. Putting a Swich sales bar that includes Lite sales against PS4 bar is just wrong.

"That'd be totally unfair, Lite is a Switch with the exact same games as the regular, people who own a lite won't buy a standard, you're splitting the switch userbase in half!"

Is branding the Switch lite as "Not a switch" more fair?

But you should stop viewing it through a competitive lens and view it through a logical one.

RolStoppable said:
0D0 said:

So Lite sales will be counted against PS/XB? Does it make sense?

Yes, it does make sense. Switch Lite contributes to Nintendo's market share in the console business.

Is it now console business, because we used to have handheld and home console business on the visual charts.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

0D0 said:
TruckOSaurus said:

Yes it does since Switch and Switch Lite have got the same library of games and the Switch has been counted against PS/XB since release.

But Switch was considered a home console, Lite isn't. The sales behauviour will be completely different considering that it's a handheld console like 3DS, much cheaper, families will buy multiple units, etc. Totally unfair if we compare Lite sales against true current gen home consoles.

Users constantly move goal posts, thread is pure comedy.

I never understood the whole debate of the hybrid system. It is a hybrid. I can play my Switch at home and I can play it on the road... without extra accessories, everything to play at home and on the road was included in the base model. It isn't a portable system, it isn't a home console, it is both. Some never played on a TV, others (myself included) rarely play it on the road. The Switch isn't just a portable, except this new model.

Around the Network

Well color me surprised. I thought they would hold back on Switch Lite for a while, since it would push demand past Nintendo's ability to provide product. But I also imagined Switch Lite being dockable, and it not being dockable lowers the demand for it by a lot. At any rate Nintendo is sure to annihilate XB1 lifetime sales by the end of the year. They were already set to beat XB1 lifetime sales by 500,000 the end of the year, but now? Now they'll probably stomp it by 3-4 million by year's end!

Nuvendil said:

Interesting that it appears to be handheld only, lacking the ability to dock altogether.  Will be an interesting product to track.  It's success in Japan is all but guaranteed but it will be a curious thing to track in the west.  This could be very enticing due to price point.  But then there's a limit to what people will let go of before they feel like they are getting a cheap product.  The 2DS for example was only a modest success, falling well short of the 3DSXL in sales.  And the New 3DS models as well.  In Japan I don't know that that will happen, but I could see it more in the west.  We'll see.  I do hope for a more powerful revision later, it only makes sense seeing as how Nintendo themselves are running into limitations of the X1, but I suspect that's a couple years out.

2DS launched as an unfoldable product though. I think if Nintendo had scrapped the 3DS prior to launch, and just launched the 2DSXL model in it's place we'd be looking at 90 million units sold for the 2DSXL instead of 75 million units sold for combined 3DS, 3DSXL, New 3DSXL, 2DS, and 2DSXL. 

Barkley said:
Nuvendil said:

But then there's a limit to what people will let go of before they feel like they are getting a cheap product.  The 2DS for example was only a modest success, falling well short of the 3DSXL in sales.

To be fair the 2DS design looked like crap. The Switch lite actually looks nice.

Yep. 2DS was an ugly kid's toy. 

potato_hamster said:

I was one of the people that didn't think Nintendo would release a Switch that didn't switch. And then they went and removed even more features than I thought. I'll take the egg on my face on this one. This is... interesting.

That being said, this firmly plants the Switch in the "handheld" category, and it becomes very easy what the direction of Nintendo will take with the Switch going forward. Expect to see much more emphasis on games with a handheld focus feature set.. The whole "hybrid console" was nothing more than a marketing ploy for the get-go.

Nah, Switch is still a hybrid. Switch Lite is just a lower priced kid's model. They'll release a New Switch sometime in the future. It will have a dock, far better battery life, and possibly improved clockspeeds. 

The Fury said:

I've own something like that before. Think it was called the Game Gear.

I mean this is kinda expected. If they are ditching the dedicated Home Console and separate handheld setup like they are with Switch (obvious as Pokemon is on Switch, not a dedicated handheld as it usually is). Having a single Switch unit which is only handheld makes sense. Good luck to it, we need the inudstry to grow and move away from microtransaction filled 'AAA' games and at least the console makers are going in the right direction.

You're thinking of the Sega Nomad, right?

Random_Matt said:
0D0 said:

That'd be totally unfair. Lite is handheld console capable of selling even more than the regular. Families will buy multiples of it. Putting a Swich sales bar that includes Lite sales against PS4 bar is just wrong. I hope someone from the staff can clarify that.

This is VGChartz, of course they will count it the same when it is not, you crazy?

Sorry, didn't get you.

Barkley said:
0D0 said:

That'd be totally unfair. Lite is handheld console capable of selling even more than the regular. Families will buy multiples of it. Putting a Swich sales bar that includes Lite sales against PS4 bar is just wrong.

"That'd be totally unfair, Lite is a Switch with the exact same games as the regular, people who own a lite won't buy a standard, you're splitting the switch userbase in half!"

But you should stop viewing it through a competitive lens and view it through a logical one.

You think I'm not being logical. I think you're not being logical. Good day to you too.

Random_Matt said:
0D0 said:

But Switch was considered a home console, Lite isn't. The sales behauviour will be completely different considering that it's a handheld console like 3DS, much cheaper, families will buy multiple units, etc. Totally unfair if we compare Lite sales against true current gen home consoles.

Users constantly move goal posts, thread is pure comedy.

Did I do something wrong?

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

It has always been a handheld is a terrible argument. I don't portable game and never have owned a portable Nintendo console.... yet I own a Switch and exclusively play at home, without having bought any extra accessories to do so.... conclusion it is a portable??? Lol.

Will this count as a 10th gen handheld?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

0D0 said:
Barkley said:

You think I'm not being logical. I think you're not being logical. Good day to you too.

Your reason for it not being counted as the same console is that it would be "unfair" and give an advantage to the Switch compared to the PS4. Hence your reasoning is motivated by competition and wanting the ps4 to win rather than logic.