By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How much $ do you spend on gaming?

So far this year only $25 on the Luigi's Mansion 3DS port

On a yearly average, excluding console purchases maybe around $200? I manage to find a lot of good deals from retailers and typically buy from Amazon which does discounts on some pre-orders.

Around the Network

I spend very little on gaming. I have a friend that games more than me, so I borrow almost every AAA release from him. But, even when I was buying games, I probably only purchased 2-4 new per year, 4-6 used, and resold nearly every game after I stopped playing it. I also sell old hardware once I'm not using it anymore. I'd say that, counting hardware, and net of resales, gaming probably costs me an average of $300 per year.

I used to take a lot of pride in having net gaming software annual spending of less than $100. But, that required me to stay way behind the release schedules, which I decided to stop doing. I've also gotten lazy about reselling. Sometimes I sit on games for a while, and they drop in value significantly before I sell them. So, my software spend is probably a little higher than that now, even with all the borrowing.

I'm back to buying every major console (after skipping PS3 and Vita), so that's probably costing $200 or so per year on hardware, on average. But, with Ninty leaving the dedicated handheld market, I should be able to bring that average hardware spend down a bit going forward.

As for my income and how I get it..... I own a small residential remodeling company. I make roughly $100k per year.

BasilZero said:

<gigantic list removed by VAMatt>

Way to derail the thread with a needless, incredibly long list.

I honestly don't really think about it, I buy games almost every other day if I'm on digital stores or in town, I collect both physical and digital but... these last two weeks alone I've maybe spent 200-300 on some Switch titles and a replacement copy of GTAV for the ps4.

Also picked up a 400GB micro SD card for my Switch if that counts as gaming purchase? it replaces my 256gb one which was no where near enough to keep up with my purchases, now between the 2 cards I have most of my titles downloaded (except for WWE2k)

For me when it comes to gaming it was one of the things that I kinda promised myself when I was a kid that I wouldn't miss out on any title I wanted when I was an adult so yeah... if there is a game I want to play I'll buy it, my bank balance is alright to support that.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Hard to say. For me, I’m gonna estimate it around $2000 or so a year. That’s for myself and Christmas shopping included.

Around the Network

Far too much, from end of December to currently this year alone(by End March) I've bought

Resident Evil 2 Collectors Edition - $235
Kingdom Hearts 3 -$46
Tales Of Vesperia Switch - $52
Devil May Cry 5 - $51
One Piece(coming friday) - $51
Sekiro(next week) -$104
Yoshi(end of month) - $26
Nathan Drake Collection - $17
Re-bought Uncharted 4 - $17
Star Wars Battlefront 2 - $8
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite Collectors(best buy sale) - $50
God Of War collectors edition(best buy sale) - $51
Jump Force Collecotrs Edition - $200

The Forest - $20

Earth Defense Force 4.1 - $20

So total of December-March: $948

With my April buys(not including figures im buying,strictly games),  my total is already going to be up to $1,300 range for the year, ill prob end up with like 2-3k spent this year,if i just include games only and this depends on what other collectors editions I want gets announced like Pokemon, DOOM, or whatever else

Last edited by PwerlvlAmy - on 14 March 2019

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

I allocate 300-400$ of my budget to my hobbies, usually 30-50% of that goes to gaming, depending on how many figures I'm getting a given month. So somewhere between 1800$ and 2500$ per year.

I don't have time to play long games until fall/winter, so most of my purchases occur then. I honestly only buy maybe 1 or 2 titles at release, the rest i wait until Black Friday for. I usually get 10-15 games on Black Friday, and Spend around $300-$400. So if u include that and the few games that i buy at release, and the few digital games that i buy on sale, i'm guessing that i spend a bit over $500/yr. I also trade my games for other games that i want after i beat them, or sell them on Amazon and make back most of my money. Some of my Black Friday games, i make more off of them when finished with them, than i originally spent on them.

Since the start of this gen I've not really spent much tbh mainly cheap deals and pre owned. I think the ps360 gen was the last full on into generation for me. 

No more pte ordering of collecting steel books or special editions.... Mabey ps5 can spark my interest again 

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

BasilZero said:
VAMatt said:

Way to derail the thread with a needless, incredibly long list.

derail?

I've pretty much answered the OP in detail lol.

Also post could have been longer to be honest - its a incredibly short post compared to what it could have been.

I think a generalised short list of cost per year would have been more helpful... no offence no one cares the names of the games in a big list... means nothing.

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!