By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Microsoft will definitely win the next gen over Sony

Will Microsoft win next gen?

Yes, they learnt from their mistakes 11 13.75%

No, Sony has a strong pre... 53 66.25%

It's hard to tell right now 15 18.75%

See Results 1 1.25%

Total:80

Not sure. Phil spencer has already said it’s no longer about console sales but rather giving consumer as more options to consume Xbox games by putting GamePass on other platforms.

Around the Network

When a lot of things went wrong for Sony's launch of PS3, X360 only managed to tie it in the end.
When the roles were somewhat reversed, PS4 outsold XBO by a lot.

So no, I think the chances of that happening would require PS5's launch to get botched even worse than PS3's was. Which will probably not happen.

Last edited by Hiku - on 10 March 2019

This post seems a little troll-y :/

Could you at least clarify on what you mean by Sony being anti-consumer? They're slowly but surely opening up to Cross Play, and I really don't see how they're being arrogant. They're working hard to continue making PS4 better, while developing quality AAA exclusives that people enjoy. I also believe the reason they're not attending E3 is because they have much bigger plans, with this year being the 25th anniversary of PS.

If I were to share my opinion on which one of the big 3 is being anti-consumer, it's Microsoft. Yes, they've got the hardware on lock for now, but their games output has been mostly subpar these last few years, and they're attempting to justify it with GamePass. I mean heck, there's no denying they lied pretty hardcore about Crackdown 3, with the tech demos that we were shown in 2014/15 vs what was delivered at launch in 2019. MS just doesn't have the mindshare right now, and it'll take Sony making some serious mistakes for MS to have the same upper hand that they had with 360.

I don't think Sony has any intention of making the same mistakes they made during the PS3 that cost them countless billions last gen. I'm pretty confident that if Sony releases well rounded PS5 hardware that supports BC with at least PS4, continues to expand on PSN, and continues to bring out their hard hitting exclusives, then they'll be just fine next gen.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

this thread seems about 22 days early.

Just no, Sony would need to have an X1 reveal at E3 level of fuck up for the next Playstation system to tank below the next MS machine out of the gate. I've said it so many times now, MS currently have the most powerful console by a country mile, what use is new hardware going to be if it's going to be just more power, power without software is pointless.

Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

Says the guy who said Switch would still bomb when we knew for a fact Pokémon was coming to the platform.

Around the Network
FattyDingDong said:

Sony is becoming too cocky with their anti consumer tendencies and even refusing to attend E3 this year, I think Microsoft can capitalize on that and have a better head start with the release of the next gen Xbox. I think this is is very likely to happen as Microsoft learnt from their great mistakes and are ready for a strong come back, whilst Sony is enjoying being on top and hence becoming too arrogant. 

What do you think?

Microsoft is still trying to pull the wool over our eyes with this digital only crap. Its nothing but a matter of time before they start with crazy  drm and price gauging.

Here is a good video showing whats coming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT5mVJzpI2w

Their first try with the xbone failed so now they are taking a boiling the frog approach.

Hiku said:

When a lot of things went wrong for Sony's launch of PS3, X360 only managed to tie it in the end.

So no, I think the chances of that happening would require PS5's launch to get botched even worse than PS3's was. Which will probably not happen.

People seem to forget that the Xbox 360 had allot of shit go wrong on it's launch as well... Microsoft had limited supplies... And they had the colossal RROD debacle.

And yet... They still gave Sony a good run for their money.

Sony probably has the better brand power than Microsoft in the console space right now, but who knows what next-generation might bring... If Microsoft offers the right games, right hardware, right price like Sony this console generation, they could smash it out again.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

How do you knon what microsoft has learned? Are you inside the heads off the top 100 brass execs at microsoft?

Maybe globally in the USA

Visit my eBay stampers store: eims-stampers

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Pemalite said:
Hiku said:

People seem to forget that the Xbox 360 had allot of shit go wrong on it's launch as well... Microsoft had limited supplies... And they had the colossal RROD debacle.

And yet... They still gave Sony a good run for their money.

Sony probably has the better brand power than Microsoft in the console space right now, but who knows what next-generation might bring... If Microsoft offers the right games, right hardware, right price like Sony this console generation, they could smash it out again.

I did consider those things when I made my post. But there were mitigating circumstances surrounding them that imo tipped things in MS's favor.

Aside from limited supplies not being very unusual for a new popular system (Switch and PS2 for example), they also had a one year head start on PS3 in USA, and a 1,5 year head start in Europe during that period. Which certainly mitigated stock shortages when the alternative wasn't out yet.

As for Red Ring of Death, it's noteworthy as it was so wide spread, but because Microsoft paid billions to have those taken care of smoothly and quickly at your front door with express shipping already paid for, it became less of a disaster (for the consumer), and more of an inconvenience.

I feel like there are some areas of the world where there's not much (realistic) Xbox could do to make their brand image appealing enough for the target audience.
And I think Japan exemplifies that in an extreme way. In some parts of the world, videogaming became synonymous with 'Playstation' to the point where people use the terms interchangeably. Because Xbox tends to be similar to Playstation, that's part of why they have a hard time standing out in those areas imo. Which is why I think it hinges on the other party making big mistakes.

Last edited by Hiku - on 10 March 2019