Yes, they can 13 36.11%

No, it will be like Ark 12 33.33%

Yes, but I don't want it 4 11.11%

No, because I don't like Devil May Cry 1 2.78%

Yes, because I want more ... 6 16.67%

Total:36
Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

No, I call Crapcom specifically lazy for releasing nothing but old rope. I don't call, say, Sega lazy, because they bring current games like Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Team Sonic Racing to Switch. Other publishers are also bringing actual new games to Switch; Doom Eternal, Mortal Kombat 11, Yokai Watch 4, Shin Megami Tensei 5, etc.

Basically, other better publishers have proven you can bring more to Switch than just an endless parade of regurgitated leftovers.

Neither Valkyria Chronicles 4 or Sonic Team Racing are what people would consider AAA games. Maybe these are not technically demanding games that could easily scale back for Switch? Frankly, I'm reluctant to say Sega even makes AAA games at this point. Alien Isolation was built as a cross plat title so that could work well on Switch! I think all the Yakuza games also use an engine that scales well for PS3.

So your examples are Doom Eternal, MK11... and two exclusive Switch games? Oh yeah, a real abundance of AAA support happening there. This shows countless developers are the problem, not Switch. Right?

Other better publishers? You mean that incredible list like... Sega and whatever projects Panic Button can get funded?

Again, you neglect how notable games like Skyrim, Diablo 3, LA Noire or Darks Souls and call them... "regurgitated leftovers." Meanwhile, they appear to have greater demand than Doom and the massive flop Wolfenstein II. Kudos to Bethesda for trying to bring this content to Switch owners, but they rather play notable games from last gen and that's makes better use of the Switch hardware anyway. Its nice to see games on Switch that aren't a blurry mess. People are buying Ark though, so maybe Switch owners do like blurry games?

I never knew it was possible to set up so many strawmen and move so many goalposts in one post.

Around the Network

Okay, that was perhaps unnecessarily rude, my apologies if it was, but look, I think we're just going to have to leave it here if every example of a current game working on Switch is just going to be arbitrary dismissed. This discussion simply isn't going to go anywhere, there is nothing we can do at this point but leave this one.

curl-6 said:

Okay, that was perhaps unnecessarily rude, my apologies if it was, but look, I think we're just going to have to leave it here if every example of a current game working on Switch is just going to be arbitrary dismissed. This discussion simply isn't going to go anywhere, there is nothing we can do at this point but leave this one.

There are good examples of modern multiplat games working well on Switch. The reasons vary however, some just have less overhead, some engines scale better, some games are certainly being developed with Switch in mind given its a relevant platform. I mean if you want to bring Sega into this, they're obviously gonna be big supporters of Switch given their Japanese focus, Sonic, etc.

I'm not simply dismissing your points, I question the arguments you make. I mean are we really gonna compare Sega and Capcom right now? Capcom is making significantly more ambitious games. Have you seen footage of the new Sonic racing game? The visuals resemble the last game. Mario Kart 8 still looks better.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

There are good examples of modern multiplat games working well on Switch. The reasons vary however, some just have less overhead, some engines scale better, some games are certainly being developed with Switch in mind given its a relevant platform. I mean if you want to bring Sega into this, they're obviously gonna be big supporters of Switch given their Japanese focus, Sonic, etc.

I'm not simply dismissing your points, I question the arguments you make. I mean are we really gonna compare Sega and Capcom right now? Capcom is making significantly more ambitious games. Have you seen footage of the new Sonic racing game? The visuals resemble the last game. Mario Kart 8 still looks better.

I should probably clarify I'm not saying every PS4/Xbone game should come to Switch, some obviously just aren't viable and I do understand that, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want at least something that's not from older platforms. 

curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I should probably clarify I'm not saying every PS4/Xbone game should come to Switch, some obviously just aren't viable and I do understand that, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want at least something that's not from older platforms. 

Your request is not unreasonable but doesn't happen for various reasons. Calling developers lazy isn't assessing the whole situation.

I imagine it took a lot of work to make Doom and Wolfenstein function well on Switch, but they still look a lot worse, hang below HD and run at half the frame rate. That's about the best we've seen and after numerous updates. I just don't think that's the work/money studios want to put into Switch.

Either way, last gen ports bolster the Switch library with great content and some modern games do get ports. If you really want to play new AAA games, you know Switch just isn't the place.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
GOWTLOZ said:

It is a problem. Doom was already 60 fps 1080p on PS4 with medium to high settings. They already had to reduce it to 30 fps 576p on Switch with lower than the lowest possible PC settings. Now think of games which are already 30 fps on PS4. How badly would they have to downgrade to run them on a Switch? Is it worth it?

I can only see a port of RE 7 and DMC 5 as viable as they are 1080p 60 fps on PS4. Something like World, is probably not possible.

Capcom has already provided a good amount of games on Switch. They are releasing Dragon's Dogma as well. Looks like a good game!

RE7 is less demanding than Doom, so it could definitely be done. Again though, Doom isn't a "576p" game, in docked mode it runs mostly between 648p and 720p post-patch.

The problem is that Dragon's Dogma, like pretty much every single game Crapcom have brought to Switch, is just been-there-done-that old rope.

You're not getting the problem here. A game has to run at a decent resolution and framerate on portable mode on the Switch if it is to get a port. The docked mode is obviously more capable and not the major cause of concern for developers as the portable mode is for them. Its like Scalebound, which wasn't made because it couldn't run on Xbox One though it may have been possible on Xbox One X.

I said that RE 7 is the only currently available game which they can port on the Switch. They didn't do it, though maybe its because they don't see sales potential for horror games on the Switch.

curl-6 said:

No, I call Crapcom 

Crapcom ?

DMCV is the best looking game in 60 FPS on normal consoles. They are light years ahead above Nintendo who cant 1080p and AA.

The Switch ? Ehh, maybe yes, but will it be really that feat playing  close to 30 with res reaching 720 and lower, and download 3/4 game from the net ?

It could, but if they didn't port RE7, one of their most successful series, I see no reason why they should port DMCV.

MH World on the other hand is not possible on Switch. Not without serious downgrades and that goes far beyond resolution.

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

Your request is not unreasonable but doesn't happen for various reasons. Calling developers lazy isn't assessing the whole situation.

I imagine it took a lot of work to make Doom and Wolfenstein function well on Switch, but they still look a lot worse, hang below HD and run at half the frame rate. That's about the best we've seen and after numerous updates. I just don't think that's the work/money studios want to put into Switch.

Either way, last gen ports bolster the Switch library with great content and some modern games do get ports. If you really want to play new AAA games, you know Switch just isn't the place.

I don't expect all or even most new games on Switch, like I completely understand not bringing over games like RDR2. But when other publishers like Sega, Bethesda, even Ubisoft are bringing at least some new/current games to Switch, Capcom's output of almost exclusively last gen ports is, to me at least, unsatisfactory.

GOWTLOZ said:
curl-6 said:

RE7 is less demanding than Doom, so it could definitely be done. Again though, Doom isn't a "576p" game, in docked mode it runs mostly between 648p and 720p post-patch.

The problem is that Dragon's Dogma, like pretty much every single game Crapcom have brought to Switch, is just been-there-done-that old rope.

You're not getting the problem here. A game has to run at a decent resolution and framerate on portable mode on the Switch if it is to get a port. The docked mode is obviously more capable and not the major cause of concern for developers as the portable mode is for them. Its like Scalebound, which wasn't made because it couldn't run on Xbox One though it may have been possible on Xbox One X.

I said that RE 7 is the only currently available game which they can port on the Switch. They didn't do it, though maybe its because they don't see sales potential for horror games on the Switch.

With portable mode you can get away with a lot because lower resolutions and reduced settings aren't as noticeable on a 6 inch screen as they are on  a HDTV. That's how they were able to bring over stuff like Doom.