Yes, they can 13 36.11%

No, it will be like Ark 12 33.33%

Yes, but I don't want it 4 11.11%

No, because I don't like Devil May Cry 1 2.78%

Yes, because I want more ... 6 16.67%

Total:36
GOWTLOZ said:
curl-6 said:

The problem isn't horsepower, if it was Doom wouldn't be on Switch. It's Capcom simply not being bothered to make an effort.

It is a problem. Doom was already 60 fps 1080p on PS4 with medium to high settings. They already had to reduce it to 30 fps 576p on Switch with lower than the lowest possible PC settings. Now think of games which are already 30 fps on PS4. How badly would they have to downgrade to run them on a Switch? Is it worth it?

I can only see a port of RE 7 and DMC 5 as viable as they are 1080p 60 fps on PS4. Something like World, is probably not possible.

Capcom has already provided a good amount of games on Switch. They are releasing Dragon's Dogma as well. Looks like a good game!

RE7 is less demanding than Doom, so it could definitely be done. Again though, Doom isn't a "576p" game, in docked mode it runs mostly between 648p and 720p post-patch.

The problem is that Dragon's Dogma, like pretty much every single game Crapcom have brought to Switch, is just been-there-done-that old rope.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Maybe Nintendo is lazy for not making better hardware that could more easily handle technically demanding modern games? I'd argue old games coming to Switch is notable support when you consider they were not on a mobile device before and that's what Switch can handle without significant scaling back.

Capcom is making new games, the problem is Switch can't handle them without significant work.

The problem isn't horsepower, if it was Doom wouldn't be on Switch. It's Capcom simply not being bothered to make an effort.

Horsepower is an element though because games require more optimization and tweaks to function well on the Switch hardware. Maybe that's partly why ports on Switch tend to have additional studios brought in.

There seems to be a trend with X1 games recently that optimization isn't quite where it should be. Its disappointing but I don't really complain that much because I get it, they just don't want to put the time/money to really optimize for the hardware. With that said do that want to put even more time/money into optimizing for Switch? Probably not and why we don't see a lot of technically demanding games ported to Switch.

Also, its silly you thinking new games scaled back, running worse (half the frame rate sometimes) and being sub-HD is great support for Switch. Yet a last gen game, regardless how notable it is, running and looking great on Switch is bad support. This is partly why Diablo 3 trounced Doom, because one is a virtually uncompromised experience that works great on Switch.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

Horsepower is an element though because games require more optimization and tweaks to function well on the Switch hardware. Maybe that's partly why ports on Switch tend to have additional studios brought in.

There seems to be a trend with X1 games recently that optimization isn't quite where it should be. Its disappointing but I don't really complain that much because I get it, they just don't want to put the time/money to really optimize for the hardware. With that said do that want to put even more time/money into optimizing for Switch? Probably not and why we don't see a lot of technically demanding games ported to Switch.

Also, its silly you thinking new games scaled back, running worse (half the frame rate sometimes) and being sub-HD is great support for Switch. Yet a last gen game, regardless how notable it is, running and looking great on Switch is bad support. This is partly why Diablo 3 trounced Doom, because one is a virtually uncompromised experience that works great on Switch.

Doesn't matter how well it runs, old rope is inherently boring and been-there-done-that. Fresh new games are infinitely more exciting than ones I played or passed on years ago. And horsepower is no excuse when you have Doom Eternal coming to Switch. Nobody is expecting Cyberpunk 2077 but less demanding stuff like RE7 not coming is just devs being trash.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 17 January 2019

curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Doesn't matter how well it runs, old rope is inherently boring and been-there-done-that. Fresh new games are infinitely more exciting than ones I played or passed on years ago. And horsepower is no excuse when you have Doom Eternal coming to Switch. Nobody is expecting Cyberpunk 2077 but less demanding stuff like RE7 not coming is just devs being trash.

Again, horsepower matters when it takes more time/money/effort to make a game function properly on Switch.

Just because you've played EVERY notable last gen games doesn't mean every Switch owner has. Its not crazy to assume many people played Skyrim, Diablo 3, Dark Souls or other games for the first time on Switch. Numerous last gen games have sold better on Switch than Doom.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

Again, horsepower matters when it takes more time/money/effort to make a game function properly on Switch.

Just because you've played EVERY notable last gen games doesn't mean every Switch owner has. Its not crazy to assume many people played Skyrim, Diablo 3, Dark Souls or other games for the first time on Switch. Numerous last gen games have sold better on Switch than Doom.

And again, if it was a simple matter of horsepower, Doom wouldn't be on Switch.

I don't give a damn if some people are happy to endlessly replay games from 2011, some of us would actually like to play something NEW for once. The notion that Switch can't handle any new games is utterly absurd.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I don't give a damn if some people are happy to endlessly replay games from 2011, some of us would actually like to play something NEW for once. The notion that Switch can't handle any new games is utterly absurd.

Though the Switch has much better 3rd party support than the Wii U, it´ll never be on an equal footing with the other systems when it comes to that, so the best course of action is, if you can, get a PS4 or Xbox One, or even invest in a PC, to complement your Switch.

curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

You simply don't listen and ignore reality while clinging onto Doom. I didn't say the problem was simply horsepower but that's all you focus on. Swich's objectively limited horsepower makes technically demanding ports a more difficult job. Many developers don't even put the resources into getting the most out of X1, making games work well on Switch is clearly requires even more work/money/effort than that.

I didn't say Switch couldn't handle new games, that sentence doesn't even make sense. However, making new/technically demand games play well on Switch requires additional work. Sometimes I feel like the Xbox One is simply supported because the ports are relatively easy, not always because there is great sales potential. Especially when it comes to niche Japanese stuff.

You want more new games? Cool, get more consoles. A lot of us on this forum have multiple gaming devices so we have access to more new games. You on the other hand just call developers lazy for not supporting your less capable mobile device.

Recently Completed

JamesGarret said:
curl-6 said:

Though the Switch has much better 3rd party support than the Wii U, it´ll never be on an equal footing with the other systems when it comes to that, so the best course of action is, if you can, get a PS4 or Xbox One, or even invest in a PC, to complement your Switch.

Why should he have to buy multiple devices?

The solution is developers need to start using Switch as the lead platform for AAA games. The end result is games don't have to be scaled back for Switch because they already look like 7th gen content.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

You simply don't listen and ignore reality while clinging onto Doom. I didn't say the problem was simply horsepower but that's all you focus on. Swich's objectively limited horsepower makes technically demanding ports a more difficult job. Many developers don't even put the resources into getting the most out of X1, making games work well on Switch is clearly requires even more work/money/effort than that.

I didn't say Switch couldn't handle new games, that sentence doesn't even make sense. However, making new/technically demand games play well on Switch requires additional work. Sometimes I feel like the Xbox One is simply supported because the ports are relatively easy, not always because there is great sales potential. Especially when it comes to niche Japanese stuff.

You want more new games? Cool, get more consoles. A lot of us on this forum have multiple gaming devices so we have access to more new games. You on the other hand just call developers lazy for not supporting your less capable mobile device.

No, I call Crapcom specifically lazy for releasing nothing but old rope. I don't call, say, Sega lazy, because they bring current games like Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Team Sonic Racing to Switch. Other publishers are also bringing actual new games to Switch; Doom Eternal, Mortal Kombat 11, Yokai Watch 4, Shin Megami Tensei 5, etc.

Basically, other better publishers have proven you can bring more to Switch than just an endless parade of regurgitated leftovers.

curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

No, I call Crapcom specifically lazy for releasing nothing but old rope. I don't call, say, Sega lazy, because they bring current games like Valkyria Chronicles 4 and Team Sonic Racing to Switch. Other publishers are also bringing actual new games to Switch; Doom Eternal, Mortal Kombat 11, Yokai Watch 4, Shin Megami Tensei 5, etc.

Basically, other better publishers have proven you can bring more to Switch than just an endless parade of regurgitated leftovers.

Neither Valkyria Chronicles 4 or Sonic Team Racing are what people would consider AAA games. Maybe these are not technically demanding games that could easily scale back for Switch? Frankly, I'm reluctant to say Sega even makes AAA games at this point. Alien Isolation was built as a cross plat title so that could work well on Switch! I think all the Yakuza games also use an engine that scales well for PS3.

So your examples are Doom Eternal, MK11... and two exclusive Switch games? Oh yeah, a real abundance of AAA support happening there. This shows countless developers are the problem, not Switch. Right?

Other better publishers? You mean that incredible list like... Sega and whatever projects Panic Button can get funded?

Again, you neglect how notable games like Skyrim, Diablo 3, LA Noire or Darks Souls and call them... "regurgitated leftovers." Meanwhile, they appear to have greater demand than Doom and the massive flop Wolfenstein II. Kudos to Bethesda for trying to bring this content to Switch owners, but they rather play notable games from last gen and that's makes better use of the Switch hardware anyway. Its nice to see games on Switch that aren't a blurry mess. People are buying Ark though, so maybe Switch owners do like blurry games?

Recently Completed