By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Nintendo Switch is generation...

What generation is the Nintendo Switch?

Generation 8 (PS4, XBoxOne) 71 44.94%

Generation 9 57 36.08%

Generation 1 (of the hybrid era) 14 8.86%

I don't care...I come to VGC for the chicks 16 10.13%

Total:158
SpokenTruth said:
Pyro as Bill said:
8 + 1 = 9

If we are going that route, it's Gen 7.

NES - 1
SNES - 2
N64 - 3
GC - 4
Wii - 5
Wii U - 6 (I remember people hoping they would call the console the N6 before the name was announced).
Switch - 7

What is with the Color TV? That would make Switch gen 8. PS4 is by that logic gen 4 though.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
SpokenTruth said:

If we are going that route, it's Gen 7.

NES - 1
SNES - 2
N64 - 3
GC - 4
Wii - 5
Wii U - 6 (I remember people hoping they would call the console the N6 before the name was announced).
Switch - 7

And the Virtual Boy? :P

So yeah, Switch is Gen 7 Nintendo. PS4 is Gen 4 Sony, and the X1 is Gen 3 Microsoft. Sounds good.

Virtual Boy is kinda difficult to decide which type it is. Some classify it as portable, but I'm not so sure, it has not the usual use-case of a portable device. I personally say Virtual Boy is gen 1 of virtual reality devices from Nintendo.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Megiddo said:

And the Virtual Boy? :P

So yeah, Switch is Gen 7 Nintendo. PS4 is Gen 4 Sony, and the X1 is Gen 3 Microsoft. Sounds good.

Virtual Boy is kinda difficult to decide which type it is. Some classify it as portable, but I'm not so sure, it has not the usual use-case of a portable device. I personally say Virtual Boy is gen 1 of virtual reality devices from Nintendo.

For me neither Virtua Boy nor WiiU count a change in gen for the one that came after because they were prematurely killed and substituted with another console within same gen.

Technology and shared library for Switch is compatible to gen 8 and won't be for gen 9 for most of it, so it makes more sense to group on gen 8 even if it end up having 2 Nintendo consoles on it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

In the end, it does't make much sense to speak about console generation right Now.
Console gen will definitively end with the current one.
All the actual generations were:

- 8 bit gen (atari, nes, master system)
- 16/24 bit gen (snes, megadrive, pc engine, neogeo)
- 32/64 bit gen (playstation, saturn, n64, 3do, jaguar, amiga cd32)
- 128 bit gen (dreamcast, playstation2, gamecube, xbox)
- last classic gen (playstation3, xbox360, Wii)

Last edited by JimmyFantasy - on 21 December 2018

Switch is basically a Wii U pro lol so gen 8.

Around the Network

8th generation

Switch released early 2017 only a few months after we got the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X mid-gen upgrades in 2016. And the next Playstation and Xbox consoles will most likely release not earlier than 2020. There's no way to consider the Switch a 9th gen console when it launched alongside the mid-gen upgrades of the 8th generation consoles. In some way we could consider the Switch as a mid-gen upgrade for the Wii U.

The only reason why people claim that Switch is 9th generation is because they can't deal with the fact that in 1.5-2 years Switch will already be outdated by the PS5/Next Xbox.

JimmyFantasy said:

In the end, it does't make much sense to speak about console generation right Now.

There was no "128-bit gen".

The Original Xbox was 32-bit and the Dreamcast is also 32bit.
The Playstation 2 and Gamecube had 64bit capabilities with a 32bit subset. - We could probably class them as 32bit devices.

Even today Jaguar is just a 64bit processor.

Bits are about as useful as flops in determining system capabilities or console generation groupings.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 21 December 2018

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
JimmyFantasy said:

There was no "128-bit gen".

The Original Xbox was 32-bit and the Dreamcast is also 32bit.
The Playstation 2 and Gamecube had 64bit capabilities with a 32bit subset. - We could probably class them as 32bit devices.

Even today Jaguar is just a 64bit processor.

Bits are about as useful as flops in determining system capabilities or console generation groupings.

You are wrong, Jaguar have 8 64 bit processor, so with my marketing shenanigans I call it a 512-bit gen system.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

If we want to consider technology, I'd say that this gen has only PS4 and XBO. Nintendo left standard home console market as soon as Wii U died. So Wii U is 8th gen and the last standard traditional home console of Nintendo. Switch is 3DS successor.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Whatever lol.