By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Few New Franchises have been made this Generation!

I have been wondering why this generation feels a little bland and a little less crowded.

I am not talking about the number of games releasing,that has been taken care by yearly and numbered releases of the same old franchises we had last generation.

I am talking about the lack of new franchise releases like we had last generation.I know,last generation was something BIG both in terms of lenght and popularity but most of last generations new franchises didn't come on the popular Wii or at the end of of last gen but in the starting 4-5 years.

I know HD Gaming was a new and BIG thing and the gaming industry was also booming with the economy(atleast at the start of the gen till 2008) but the breadth and depth of new releases was phenomenal.

Here's to list just a few:

 

Assassins Creed

Haze

Uncharted

Kane & Lynch

Infamous

Gears of War

Wii Sports

Wii Fit

Star Wars Force Unleashed

Just Dance

Little Big Planet

Playstation All Stars

Mass Effect

Witcher

Bioshock

Boderlands

Rage

Rock Band

Forza

Saints Row

Red Dead Redemption

Portal

Left 4 Dead

Just Cause

Motorstorm

Resistance

Heavy Rain

Last of US

Demon Souls

Crysis

 

 

 

Here are some of the old franchise's that had new spinoff's or became BIG last gen:

 

Call of Duty

Battlefield Bad Company

Halo Wars

Metal Gear Solid Revengeance

Duke Nukem

Fallout

Killzone

 

 

This gen we have seen more of a consolidation with same developers release numbered releases of the same established franchise with few new IP's.

Last edited by lightningfunk - on 30 November 2018

Around the Network

Well, you got one extremely big new franchise and Destiny. You got the division, and the upcoming anthem. You got Splatoon, if we're counting Wii U and the current generation, as we should. You got Horizon, Nier, Bloodbourne, and mire. Those are just a few of the big-time AAA ones off the top of my head. You also have the return of Doom. That's certainly not a new franchise, but it's one that basically skipped last generation. You got Mario Maker, which isn't a new IP, but it is a significant development in the Mario universe. There are tons of A and AA series, like Ori, unravel, Captain toad, Recore and tons of others like that.

that's just a tiny sampling of titles that popped into my head with a minute or so thinking. so, while you may be right that there were fewer new franchises this generation than last, I certainly don't feel like it's been lacking in new content.

with all of that said, considering the massive cost to develop big games these days, I understand why companies can't risk tens of millions of dollars on untested stuff very often. I think that's just the nature of the business right now, but that's also what has given rise to the indie scene. So, with all of that in mind, I'm really not worried about the future of gaming content.



lightningfunk said:

Here are some of the old franchise's that had new spinoff's or became BIG last gen:

Duke Nukem

It didn't hit me until this part of the post that this is (apparently?) a joke post.



Considering the amount of cash the big publishers are winning with their old franchises and their new monetization methodes, they have no drive to invest in new things. Which is sad, we're going to end up burning every single IP to the ground, the 8th gen best sellers are too similar to the 7th gen best sellers, Nintendo notwithstanding.



You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

This gen has been pretty disappointing so far. There has been a lot of great stuff but I have found so many AAA titles to be disappointments. The indie scene is the only place to find genuinely interesting games. So far the best games I've played this year are the messenger and Celeste.



Around the Network

"the lack of the dearth of"? That's a double negative, meaning you're saying we've had a huge number of new franchises this gen?

And whether you're arguing against yourself or not, there's still been plenty of new franchises this gen.

Dying Light
Sunset Overdrive
The Division
Destiny
Watch Dogs
Splatoon
Bloodborne
Pillars of Eternity
PUBG
Fortnite
Rocket League
And many more

Plus, this gen isn't over yet!



Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

There's been PLENTY of new series this generation.

Destiny
The Crew
Sunset Overdrive
The Order 1886
Ryse
Bloodborne
Until Dawn
Recore
Knack
Sea of Thieves
Horizon Zero Dawn
Driveclub
The Last Guardian
Gravity Rush
Detroit: Become Human
Super Lucky's Tale
Quantum Break
PUBG
Fortnite
No Man Sky
Watch Dogs
Steep
Middle-Earth (Shadow of Mordor etc)
Dying Light
The Evil Within
Titanfall
For Honor
Project Cars
Mad Max
Ni-Oh
Evolve
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Heroes
World of Final Fantasy
Overwatch
Smite
The Division
Ark
Dirt Rally
Arms
Mario+Rabbids
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Dreams (Coming Soon)
Days Gone (Coming Soon)
Death Stranding (Coming Soon)
Cyberpunk 2077 (Coming Soon)
Ghost of Tshushima (Coming Soon)
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order (Coming Soon)
Wild (Coming Soon... Maybe)
Anthem (Coming Soon)
Skull & Bones (Coming Soon)

If we're counting reboots or big changes to a series like you do in your second list:

Wolfenstein
Spiderman
Star Wars Battlefront
God of War
Doom
Killer Instinct
Hitman
Monster Hunter World
Beyond Good and Evil 2 (Coming Soon)



Barkley said:

There's been PLENTY of new series this generation.

Destiny
The Crew
Sunset Overdrive
The Order 1886
Ryse
Bloodborne
Until Dawn
Recore
Knack
Sea of Thieves
Horizon Zero Dawn
Driveclub
The Last Guardian
Gravity Rush
Detroit: Become Human
Super Lucky's Tale
Quantum Break
PUBG
Fortnite
No Man Sky
Watch Dogs
Steep
Middle-Earth (Shadow of Mordor etc)
Dying Light
The Evil Within
Titanfall
For Honor
Project Cars
Mad Max
Ni-Oh
Evolve
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Heroes
World of Final Fantasy
Overwatch
Smite
The Division
Ark
Dirt Rally
Arms
Mario+Rabbids
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Dreams (Coming Soon)
Days Gone (Coming Soon)
Death Stranding (Coming Soon)
Cyberpunk 2077 (Coming Soon)
Ghost of Tshushima (Coming Soon)
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order (Coming Soon)
Wild (Coming Soon... Maybe)
Anthem (Coming Soon)
Skull & Bones (Coming Soon)

If we're counting reboots or big changes to a series like you do in your second list:

Wolfenstein
Spiderman
Star Wars Battlefront
God of War
Doom
Killer Instinct
Hitman
Monster Hunter World
Beyond Good and Evil 2 (Coming Soon)

Some of those aren't new ip. Half that list were considered to be huge disappointments. 



pikashoe said:

Some of those aren't new ip. Half that list were considered to be huge disappointments. 

"Some of those aren't new ip." *looks at OP*

lightningfunk said: 

Star Wars Force Unleashed (Spin off of old series)
Forza (Released on Original Xbox)
Red Dead Redemption (Red Dead Revolver on PS2)
Call of Duty (Launched Previous Gen)
Battlefield Bad Company (Spinoff of old series)
Halo Wars (Spinoff of older series)
Metal Gear Solid Revengeance (Spin off of old series)
Duke Nukem (Reboot)
Fallout (Sequel to game from the 90's)
Killzone (Released on PS2)

"Half that list were considered to be huge dissapointments" HAZE

But you really think many of these games are "massive disappointments"? Of the 60 listed I think maybe 5 could match that criteria imo.

Evolve
The Order 1886
Ryse
No Man Sky
Super Lucky's Tale

And while No Man Sky was disappointing at launch, it isn't anymore.



Ka-pi96 said:
"the lack of the dearth of"? That's a double negative, meaning you're saying we've had a huge number of new franchises this gen?

And whether you're arguing against yourself or not, there's still been plenty of new franchises this gen.

Dying Light
Sunset Overdrive
The Division
Destiny
Watch Dogs
Splatoon
Bloodborne
Pillars of Eternity
PUBG
Fortnite
Rocket League
And many more

Plus, this gen isn't over yet!

Some of the games you list are partly PC and online games.

If I we including PC and online games and handheld and Mobile games released last gen then the list will be too long