By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Few New Franchises have been made this Generation!

pikashoe said:
Barkley said:

There's been PLENTY of new series this generation.

Destiny
The Crew
Sunset Overdrive
The Order 1886
Ryse
Bloodborne
Until Dawn
Recore
Knack
Sea of Thieves
Horizon Zero Dawn
Driveclub
The Last Guardian
Gravity Rush
Detroit: Become Human
Super Lucky's Tale
Quantum Break
PUBG
Fortnite
No Man Sky
Watch Dogs
Steep
Middle-Earth (Shadow of Mordor etc)
Dying Light
The Evil Within
Titanfall
For Honor
Project Cars
Mad Max
Ni-Oh
Evolve
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Heroes
World of Final Fantasy
Overwatch
Smite
The Division
Ark
Dirt Rally
Arms
Mario+Rabbids
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Dreams (Coming Soon)
Days Gone (Coming Soon)
Death Stranding (Coming Soon)
Cyberpunk 2077 (Coming Soon)
Ghost of Tshushima (Coming Soon)
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order (Coming Soon)
Wild (Coming Soon... Maybe)
Anthem (Coming Soon)
Skull & Bones (Coming Soon)

If we're counting reboots or big changes to a series like you do in your second list:

Wolfenstein
Spiderman
Star Wars Battlefront
God of War
Doom
Killer Instinct
Hitman
Monster Hunter World
Beyond Good and Evil 2 (Coming Soon)

Some of those aren't new ip. Half that list were considered to be huge disappointments. 

Doesn't matter if you think they're disappointments. He just punched a giant hole in your argument here. A fairly big list of all the new franchises. You guys just love being negative lol



"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

Around the Network
Barkley said:

There's been PLENTY of new series this generation.

Destiny
The Crew
Sunset Overdrive
The Order 1886
Ryse
Bloodborne
Until Dawn
Recore
Knack
Sea of Thieves
Horizon Zero Dawn
Driveclub
The Last Guardian
Gravity Rush
Detroit: Become Human
Super Lucky's Tale
Quantum Break
PUBG
Fortnite
No Man Sky
Watch Dogs
Steep
Middle-Earth (Shadow of Mordor etc)
Dying Light
The Evil Within
Titanfall
For Honor
Project Cars
Mad Max
Ni-Oh
Evolve
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Heroes
World of Final Fantasy
Overwatch
Smite
The Division
Ark
Dirt Rally
Arms
Mario+Rabbids
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Dreams (Coming Soon)
Days Gone (Coming Soon)
Death Stranding (Coming Soon)
Cyberpunk 2077 (Coming Soon)
Ghost of Tshushima (Coming Soon)
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order (Coming Soon)
Wild (Coming Soon... Maybe)
Anthem (Coming Soon)
Skull & Bones (Coming Soon)

If we're counting reboots or big changes to a series like you do in your second list:

Wolfenstein
Spiderman
Star Wars Battlefront
God of War
Doom
Killer Instinct
Hitman
Monster Hunter World
Beyond Good and Evil 2 (Coming Soon)

Alot of the games you mentioned weren't as big as some of the IP's i mentioned

if i included alot of low quality new IP's like your list released last gen then the list will become too long



lightningfunk said:

Alot of the games you mentioned weren't as big as some of the IP's i mentioned

if i included alot of low quality new IP's like your list released last gen then the list will become too long

You already included Haze, I stuck to that bar, the only games I listed that likely sold less are Recore and Super Lucky's Tale. Regardless this generation also has a couple of years left in it.



lightningfunk said:
Ka-pi96 said:
"the lack of the dearth of"? That's a double negative, meaning you're saying we've had a huge number of new franchises this gen?

And whether you're arguing against yourself or not, there's still been plenty of new franchises this gen.

Dying Light
Sunset Overdrive
The Division
Destiny
Watch Dogs
Splatoon
Bloodborne
Pillars of Eternity
PUBG
Fortnite
Rocket League
And many more

Plus, this gen isn't over yet!

Some of the games you list are partly PC and online games.

If I we including PC and online games and handheld and Mobile games released last gen then the list will be too long

Every single one of those is on console.

Besides, you actually listed a PC exclusive in the OP (The Witcher), so you can't start pretending PC games don't count now.

Edit: Actually speaking of The Witcher, it's not a new franchise since the books existed long before the 7th gen and it wasn't big at all either. The franchise wasn't even remotely big until #3 in gen 8.

Last edited by Ka-pi96 - on 30 November 2018

Barkley said:
lightningfunk said:

Alot of the games you mentioned weren't as big as some of the IP's i mentioned

if i included alot of low quality new IP's like your list released last gen then the list will become too long

You already included Haze, I stuck to that bar, the only games I listed that likely sold less are Recore and Super Lucky's Tale. Regardless this generation also has a couple of years left in it.

that was a mistake



Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
lightningfunk said:

Some of the games you list are partly PC and online games.

If I we including PC and online games and handheld and Mobile games released last gen then the list will be too long

Every single one of those is on console.

Besides, you actually listed a PC exclusive in the OP (The Witcher), so you can't start pretending PC games don't count now.

Edit: Actually speaking of The Witcher, it's not a new franchise since the books existed long before the 7th gen and it wasn't big at all either. The franchise wasn't even remotely big until #3 in gen 8.

PC's doesn't really have a gen,consoles do.

PC platform is a never ending generation as it doesn't have iterations except a new graphic card



Barkley said:
pikashoe said:

Some of those aren't new ip. Half that list were considered to be huge disappointments. 

"Some of those aren't new ip." *looks at OP*

lightningfunk said: 

Star Wars Force Unleashed (Spin off of old series)
Forza (Released on Original Xbox)
Red Dead Redemption (Red Dead Revolver on PS2)
Call of Duty (Launched Previous Gen)
Battlefield Bad Company (Spinoff of old series)
Halo Wars (Spinoff of older series)
Metal Gear Solid Revengeance (Spin off of old series)
Duke Nukem (Reboot)
Fallout (Sequel to game from the 90's)
Killzone (Released on PS2)

"Half that list were considered to be huge dissapointments" HAZE

But you really think many of these games are "massive disappointments"? Of the 60 listed I think maybe 5 could match that criteria imo.

Evolve
The Order 1886
Ryse
No Man Sky
Super Lucky's Tale

And while No Man Sky was disappointing at launch, it isn't anymore.

I'm just talking a out your list. His one has weird mistakes and is a LOT less comprehensive than yours.

Mario and rabbids, 2 dragon quests, final fantasy,  dirt, middle earth, mad max. Which brings your list of new ips to 35.

Massive disappointments might have been an exaggeration, but a large portion of your list was considered disappointing to a degree.

Destiny

The crew

Order 1886

Ryse 

Record

Knack 

Sea of thieves

Driveclub

Detroit

Super luckys tale

Quantum break

No man's sky

Watch dogs

Steep

Dying light

The evil within

For honour 

Evolve

Division

Ark

Arms

All of these have a meta of 80 or less. Which generally considered a little disappointing at least. A lot scored in the low 70s or worse. 

I cut out 28, which brings your list of currently released new ips, to around 14.



alternine said:
pikashoe said:

Some of those aren't new ip. Half that list were considered to be huge disappointments. 

Doesn't matter if you think they're disappointments. He just punched a giant hole in your argument here. A fairly big list of all the new franchises. You guys just love being negative lol

Shouldn't a game have a sequel out before it's first release gets called "a new franchise/series" though?  Not a planned sequel, because anyone can launch a game and say there are going to be follow ups.  But if the follow up never happens, like in the case of "Ryse", can you really say that "Ryse" is a franchise or series?  I don't think so.  



Mandalore76 said:
alternine said:

Doesn't matter if you think they're disappointments. He just punched a giant hole in your argument here. A fairly big list of all the new franchises. You guys just love being negative lol

Shouldn't a game have a sequel out before it's first release gets called "a new franchise/series" though?  Not a planned sequel, because anyone can launch a game and say there are going to be follow ups.  But if the follow up never happens, like in the case of "Ryse", can you really say that "Ryse" is a franchise or series?  I don't think so.  

I agree they're not really franchises or series with only one entry. Though I was just following the criteria set in the OP, (PSABR, Heavy Rain, Demon Souls etc).

Though if we do only include games with multiple entries that give a big advantage to the older generation anyway. With series like TLOU, Rage not getting their second game until the following generation.



pikashoe said:
Barkley said:

There's been PLENTY of new series this generation.

Destiny
The Crew
Sunset Overdrive
The Order 1886
Ryse
Bloodborne
Until Dawn
Recore
Knack
Sea of Thieves
Horizon Zero Dawn
Driveclub
The Last Guardian
Gravity Rush
Detroit: Become Human
Super Lucky's Tale
Quantum Break
PUBG
Fortnite
No Man Sky
Watch Dogs
Steep
Middle-Earth (Shadow of Mordor etc)
Dying Light
The Evil Within
Titanfall
For Honor
Project Cars
Mad Max
Ni-Oh
Evolve
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Heroes
World of Final Fantasy
Overwatch
Smite
The Division
Ark
Dirt Rally
Arms
Mario+Rabbids
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Dreams (Coming Soon)
Days Gone (Coming Soon)
Death Stranding (Coming Soon)
Cyberpunk 2077 (Coming Soon)
Ghost of Tshushima (Coming Soon)
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order (Coming Soon)
Wild (Coming Soon... Maybe)
Anthem (Coming Soon)
Skull & Bones (Coming Soon)

If we're counting reboots or big changes to a series like you do in your second list:

Wolfenstein
Spiderman
Star Wars Battlefront
God of War
Doom
Killer Instinct
Hitman
Monster Hunter World
Beyond Good and Evil 2 (Coming Soon)

Some of those aren't new ip. Half that list were considered to be huge disappointments. 

 

lightningfunk said:
Ka-pi96 said:
"the lack of the dearth of"? That's a double negative, meaning you're saying we've had a huge number of new franchises this gen?

And whether you're arguing against yourself or not, there's still been plenty of new franchises this gen.

Dying Light
Sunset Overdrive
The Division
Destiny
Watch Dogs
Splatoon
Bloodborne
Pillars of Eternity
PUBG
Fortnite
Rocket League
And many more

Plus, this gen isn't over yet!

Some of the games you list are partly PC and online games.

If I we including PC and online games and handheld and Mobile games released last gen then the list will be too long

Stop moving the posts. You said that there haven't been a lot of new Is released this gen and have been shown otherwise. If you want to start talking about the quality of said releases thats a different matter.

And those lists aren,t even covering all of them.