By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Few New Franchises have been made this Generation!

pikashoe said:
Barkley said:

"Some of those aren't new ip." *looks at OP*

"Half that list were considered to be huge dissapointments" HAZE

But you really think many of these games are "massive disappointments"? Of the 60 listed I think maybe 5 could match that criteria imo.

Evolve
The Order 1886
Ryse
No Man Sky
Super Lucky's Tale

And while No Man Sky was disappointing at launch, it isn't anymore.

I'm just talking a out your list. His one has weird mistakes and is a LOT less comprehensive than yours.

Mario and rabbids, 2 dragon quests, final fantasy,  dirt, middle earth, mad max. Which brings your list of new ips to 35.

Massive disappointments might have been an exaggeration, but a large portion of your list was considered disappointing to a degree.

Destiny

The crew

Order 1886

Ryse 

Record

Knack 

Sea of thieves

Driveclub

Detroit

Super luckys tale

Quantum break

No man's sky

Watch dogs

Steep

Dying light

The evil within

For honour 

Evolve

Division

Ark

Arms

All of these have a meta of 80 or less. Which generally considered a little disappointing at least. A lot scored in the low 70s or worse. 

I cut out 28, which brings your list of currently released new ips, to around 14.

That's a strange definition of massive disappointments. I think maybe five of those fit a realistic definition.

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
pikashoe said:

I'm just talking a out your list. His one has weird mistakes and is a LOT less comprehensive than yours.

Mario and rabbids, 2 dragon quests, final fantasy,  dirt, middle earth, mad max. Which brings your list of new ips to 35.

Massive disappointments might have been an exaggeration, but a large portion of your list was considered disappointing to a degree.

Destiny

The crew

Order 1886

Ryse 

Record

Knack 

Sea of thieves

Driveclub

Detroit

Super luckys tale

Quantum break

No man's sky

Watch dogs

Steep

Dying light

The evil within

For honour 

Evolve

Division

Ark

Arms

All of these have a meta of 80 or less. Which generally considered a little disappointing at least. A lot scored in the low 70s or worse. 

I cut out 28, which brings your list of currently released new ips, to around 14.

That's a strange definition of massive disappointments. I think maybe five of those fit a realistic definition.

Read my post properly. I said that all of these were to an extent considered at least a little disappointing. I even admitted that massive disappointment was a bit of an exaggeration. Read before replying.

Darwinianevolution said:
Considering the amount of cash the big publishers are winning with their old franchises and their new monetization methodes, they have no drive to invest in new things. Which is sad, we're going to end up burning every single IP to the ground, the 8th gen best sellers are too similar to the 7th gen best sellers, Nintendo notwithstanding.

Well even Nintendo are heavily push the same ips every gen. Mario Kart, Smash, splatoon, Mario 3d, Mario 2d, animal crossing, pokemon and there are loads more. Not saying its a bad thing.

Despite lesser new ips the ps4 is my favourite console ever. 

pikashoe said:
Intrinsic said:

Stop moving the posts. You said that there haven't been a lot of new Is released this gen and have been shown otherwise. If you want to start talking about the quality of said releases thats a different matter.

And those lists aren,t even covering all of them. 

When did I say there weren't new ips? My first reply in this thread was saying how I found most new ips  this gen disappointing. 

Then you should probably change the name of your thread.

Cause if what you are saying here is the basis of your argument then no one will argue with you. Tastes being subjective and all that.

Intrinsic said:
pikashoe said:

When did I say there weren't new ips? My first reply in this thread was saying how I found most new ips  this gen disappointing. 

Then you should probably change the name of your thread.

Cause if what you are saying here is the basis of your argument then no one will argue with you. Tastes being subjective and all that.

I didn't make this thread.

Around the Network
lightningfunk said:

PC's doesn't really have a gen,consoles do.

PC platform is a never ending generation as it doesn't have iterations except a new graphic card

PC does have generations. Our generations are just different to the console generations.
Usually our generations are broken up by rendering techniques.

Ka-pi96 said:

Are you talking to yourself? You're the one that included a PC exclusive while I only included games on current gen consoles...

Besides, PCs do have gens in new versions of windows. I know that firsthand not being able to play any of the new MS games because I refuse to downgrade to Windows 10

Ironically, Windows tends to heavily influence the above*

I.E. The 6th gen equivalent on PC was pushing TnL as the main graphics driver... Whilst 7th gen was all about the pixel shaders and 8th gen is all about deferred rendering and global illumination.

Barkley said:

You're doing it wrong. Every other windows is good.

Windows 98 Good, Windows 2000 crap, Windows XP Good, Windows Vista crap, Windows 7 Good, Windows 8 crap, Windows 10 Good!

I was hesitant, but after using 10 I could never go back to 7.

Well. no.
Windows 2000 was actually pretty good, it just used the NT kernel... Just like Windows XP. - In short though... It was not suited to running games as most games at the time were built for the Win9X kernel or DOS, Windows XP also suffered from that exact same issue early on in it's life cycle.
But after a few years that was a non issue.

So... If we get down to it...
Windows 95 (1995) = Good.
Windows NT 4.0 (1996) = Good.
Windows 98 (1998) = Good.
Windows ME (2000) = Shit.
Windows 2000/NT 5.0 (2000) = Good.
Windows XP (2001) = Good.
Windows Vista (2006) = Shit.
Windows 7 (2009) = Good.
Windows 8 (2012) = Shit. (Unless you were using a tablet.)
Windows 10 (2015) = Good.

But I agree though, Windows 10 is actually fairly decent, I have tweaked mine heavily though so it runs more like Windows 7 and removes allot of the useless rubbish.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Ka-pi96 said:
Barkley said:

You're doing it wrong. Every other windows is good.

Windows 98 Good, Windows 2000 crap, Windows XP Good, Windows Vista crap, Windows 7 Good, Windows 8 crap, Windows 10 Good!

I was hesitant, but after using 10 I could never go back to 7.

But since they skipped over Windows 9 wouldn't that mean 10 is back to the bad side?

Nah , they were making a correction for no windows 99.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

pikashoe said:
VAMatt said:

Read my post properly. I said that all of these were to an extent considered at least a little disappointing. I even admitted that massive disappointment was a bit of an exaggeration. Read before replying.

Essentially every game is at least a little bit disappointing. Would you put red Dead redemption 2 and a list of disappointing games? I'm disappointed by the a lack of good HDR support, the slow movement speed, and a few other things. But, it's certainly game of the year.

VAMatt said:
pikashoe said:

Essentially every game is at least a little bit disappointing. Would you put red Dead redemption 2 and a list of disappointing games? I'm disappointed by the a lack of good HDR support, the slow movement speed, and a few other things. But, it's certainly game of the year.

Well I would personally put red dead on a list of disappointing games. But the difference between red dead and all the games I listed is that a large portion of critics and audiences found those games disappointing.

VAMatt said:
Well, you got one extremely big new franchise and Destiny. You got the division, and the upcoming anthem. You got Splatoon, if we're counting Wii U and the current generation, as we should. You got Horizon, Nier, Bloodbourne, and mire. Those are just a few of the big-time AAA ones off the top of my head. You also have the return of Doom. That's certainly not a new franchise, but it's one that basically skipped last generation. You got Mario Maker, which isn't a new IP, but it is a significant development in the Mario universe. There are tons of A and AA series, like Ori, unravel, Captain toad, Recore and tons of others like that.

that's just a tiny sampling of titles that popped into my head with a minute or so thinking. so, while you may be right that there were fewer new franchises this generation than last, I certainly don't feel like it's been lacking in new content.

with all of that said, considering the massive cost to develop big games these days, I understand why companies can't risk tens of millions of dollars on untested stuff very often. I think that's just the nature of the business right now, but that's also what has given rise to the indie scene. So, with all of that in mind, I'm really not worried about the future of gaming content.

Nier isn't a new franchise. It's part of the Nier franchise which is a spinoff of the Drakengard franchise

For new ip's they exist you just choose to ignore them TBH.

Arms

Starlink

The Crew

Watch Dogs

Destiny

Overwatch

My Hero Acadamia a new anime fighting game

Black Clover new anime game

Horizon Zero Dawn

Drive Club

PUBG

Fortnite

Steep

Paladins

Return of ROTK and Nobunagas ambition which technically isn't new, but we haven't had these games in years

Star Dew Valley

Story of Seasons

For Honor

Splatoon

BloodBourne 

Nioh

Sekiro Shadows die twice

Ghost of tsushima 

Division

Fightz EX that new game by the Street fighter guy

Cuphead

Yooka Laylee

Celeste 

Gravity Rush

Hellblade Senua Sacrifice

Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise

Judge Eyes

Days Gone

Life Is Strange

Vampyr

Grim Dawn

Vaan Hellsing

Anthem

Death Stranding

Spiderman

Recore

Sunset Overdrive

The Last Guardian

Divinity Original Sin

Path of Exile

Artifact

A Hat in Time

Earthlock

Edge of Eternity

Overcooked

Octopath Traveler

Warframe

Skull and Bones

Sea of Thieves

Rainbow Six Siege

Child Of Light

Last edited by greencactaur - on 30 November 2018

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)