By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Few New Franchises have been made this Generation!

Well, we got less new franchises this gen, but overall the quality of the games increased compared to the previous gen. We saw many reboots (wide definition) of old franchises, like Hitman, Zelda, Doom, God of War, Monster Hunter, Wolfenstein, etc... Some new games, which might be (or already are) the starting point of new franchises, like Horizon, Splatoon, Nioh, Bloodborne... Finally, many games released this gen are considered the best in their series: BotW, Persona 5, RDR2, Nier:Automata, DSIII, Mortal Kombat X, SSBU (soon). Compared to Wii Sports, Assassin's Creed or Playstation All Stars this is promising, even though the numbers of actual new franchises is lower.

Around the Network

Why are people making lists or criticizing other lists using double standards? All it does is call their own judgement into question and make their argument suspect. If someone lists a Haze or an LA Noire than tries to discredit another game for being disappointing then something is wrong.

shikamaru317 said:
pokoko said:
Why are people making lists or criticizing other lists using double standards? All it does is call their own judgement into question and make their argument suspect. If someone lists a Haze or an LA Noire than tries to discredit another game for being disappointing then something is wrong.

LA Noire is objectively a good game though, it got a 90 on metacritic. Comparing it to say Destiny from this gen, which got a low 70's score on metacritic at release, you can objectively say that LA Noire was a better new IP. 

Not a chance. It is all subjective. OP includes games like Kane and Lynch (Meta 67), you include games like Just Cause (75 meta), why can't people include Destiny?

shikamaru317 said:
pokoko said:

LA Noire is objectively a good game though, it got an 89 on metacritic. Comparing it to say Destiny from this gen, which got a low 70's score on metacritic at release, you can objectively say that LA Noire was a better new IP. Every single new/rebooted IP from my last gen list had a game in the series that meta'd 85 or higher if I'm not mistaken, except for Rage, which got an 81, which is still good, and Wolfenstein, which didn't meta too well on the initial reboot, but did meta much higher on The New Order, which was crossgen. 

Where is your commentary for the first list, though?  Where is the "meh" for RAGE?  LA Noire is probably a dead IP (and rightly so).  Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider were "sales disappointments."  There was no consistency with your list, though I wasn't referencing any post in particular.  

shikamaru317 said:
Farsala said:

Not a chance. It is all subjective. OP includes games like Kane and Lynch (Meta 67), you include games like Just Cause (75 meta), why can't people include Destiny?

Just Cause 2 had an 84 meta, it's not just the first game in the series that decides rather or not it's good. 

I never said people couldn't include Destiny, if you subjectively like it that is fine, but objectively speaking many consider it to be a disappointment, especially the first game. The 2nd game got much higher critic reviews, but the user reviews are still pretty poor. Subjectively I definitely don't like it. I, like many Halo fans, was expecting a singleplayer first, multiplayer second game from Bungie, and Destiny was definitely not that. 

Yep and Destiny 2 had a meta of 85. You say stuff like "Comparing it to say Destiny from this gen, which got a low 70's score on metacritic at release, you can objectively say that LA Noire was a better new IP. "  But objectively speaking, Destiny is definitely a much bigger and much more enjoyed ip than LA noire. Personally, I don't care about either Destiny or LA noire.

And in your reboot list, you include something like Fallout or Wolfenstein but don't include stuff like God of War or Monster Hunter World.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:
pokoko said:

Where is your commentary for the first list, though?  Where is the "meh" for RAGE?  LA Noire is probably a dead IP (and rightly so).  Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider were "sales disappointments."  There was no consistency with your list, though I wasn't referencing any post in particular.  

I did an overall commentary for my 7th gen list instead of itemizing it, saying that almost every game on it was subjectively good to amazing for me personally. However, it's not just subjectively good, every series there but one had a 7th gen game that meta'd 80 or higher and almost all of them had a game that meta'd 85 or higher, so you can objectively say it is a good list. 

I didn't consider RAGE to be meh personally, I like it alot in fact. And the critics gave it an 81 meta which is definitely considered to be good. I doubt LA Noire is dead, Take-Two's CEO said they had plans for it just a few years ago, and considering it was a sales and critical success it would be dumb to just let it die. I suspect Rockstar themselves will develop a sequel to it sometime in the future, though probably after Bully 2 and GTA 6. 

While you have The Division, with a meta of 80 and a massive hit in terms of sales, labeled as a "disappointment."

If you try to make one side look bad and another side look good while applying inconsistent judgement rules then people are going to take your argument less seriously.  Like it or not, that's just the simple truth.

Intrinsic said:
pikashoe said:

Some of those aren't new ip. Half that list were considered to be huge disappointments. 

lightningfunk said:

Some of the games you list are partly PC and online games.

If I we including PC and online games and handheld and Mobile games released last gen then the list will be too long

Stop moving the posts. You said that there haven't been a lot of new Is released this gen and have been shown otherwise. If you want to start talking about the quality of said releases thats a different matter.

And those lists aren,t even covering all of them. 

When did I say there weren't new ips? My first reply in this thread was saying how I found most new ips  this gen disappointing. 

There have been lots of new IP's this gen. Sure, last gen had games like Bioshock, Gears, Dead Space, Uncharted, Last of Us, Mass Effect, and Assassin's creed. It's hard to match that level of quality, but this gen has been no slouch. Horizon ZD, Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Evil Within, Bloodborne, Hellblade, Titanfall, and some of the best is yet to come! Games in general cost more and take longer to develop compared to any previous gen. It was inevitable that the number of new IP's released were going to take a hit.

The OP's list is flawed. Forza, RDR, and Just Cause are not new IP's from last gen.

Someone complaining about too few new franchises this gen, that can't see the 100's of new franchises that have been created this gen?

To find new things you have to look around, and seek out things out of your comfort zone. Maybe even try a new platform. PSVR has brought more new expereinces/franchises than PS3/360 and PS4/XBO combined. If you want something new, VR is the place to go. That said, as has been pointed out in multiple posts, their are plenty of new franchises on PS4/XBO in their own right.

As for what games are good (since that seems to have turned into a discussion), go try things yourself. Don't let others decide what you play. Now is a great time to look into new franchises, and give them a go. You should be able to pick up many of the games listed in other posts for less than $20. In my expereince, a lot of games that get bashed in the gaming media/community are actually quite good, while many of the games praised are actually some of the worst.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

shikamaru317 said:
smroadkill15 said:
There have been lots of new IP's this gen. Sure, last gen had games like Bioshock, Gears, Dead Space, Uncharted, Last of Us, Mass Effect, and Assassin's creed. It's hard to match that level of quality, but this gen has been no slouch. Horizon ZD, Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Evil Within, Bloodborne, Hellblade, Titanfall, and some of the best is yet to come! Games in general cost more and take longer to develop compared to any previous gen. It was inevitable that the number of new IP's released were going to take a hit.

The OP's list is flawed. Forza, RDR, and Just Cause are not new IP's from last gen.

I think he was referring to Forza Horizon, which was a new IP last gen, and Just Cause was indeed a new IP when it released in 2006 as a cross-gen title. You're right about RDR though, it was a reboot, not a new IP.

He should have been more specific with Forza in that case.