By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Few New Franchises have been made this Generation!

Mandalore76 said:
alternine said:

Doesn't matter if you think they're disappointments. He just punched a giant hole in your argument here. A fairly big list of all the new franchises. You guys just love being negative lol

Shouldn't a game have a sequel out before it's first release gets called "a new franchise/series" though?  Not a planned sequel, because anyone can launch a game and say there are going to be follow ups.  But if the follow up never happens, like in the case of "Ryse", can you really say that "Ryse" is a franchise or series?  I don't think so.  

If we do that his list will be reduced too. Like by as much s 13 titles or so. And he made alot of mistakes. Like Red dead is actually a Gen 6 game not a gen 7. Its actually called Red dead revolver. 

And one can argue that this gen is very different wth its approach to franchising. Just look at rainbow six siege for instance. We have more continuing series this gen with a lot of DLC support expanding the game. 

Around the Network

OP included Duke Nukem.

This is clearly a joke thread.

Please stop taking it seriously.

Well, we got less new franchises this gen, but overall the quality of the games increased compared to the previous gen. We saw many reboots (wide definition) of old franchises, like Hitman, Zelda, Doom, God of War, Monster Hunter, Wolfenstein, etc... Some new games, which might be (or already are) the starting point of new franchises, like Horizon, Splatoon, Nioh, Bloodborne... Finally, many games released this gen are considered the best in their series: BotW, Persona 5, RDR2, Nier:Automata, DSIII, Mortal Kombat X, SSBU (soon). Compared to Wii Sports, Assassin's Creed or Playstation All Stars this is promising, even though the numbers of actual new franchises is lower.

Yeah, there is no doubt that this gen has been disappointing for new IP's, especially in the AAA field. Not only are their less new/rebooted IP this gen, they are just not as good as the new/rebooted IP of last gen overall.  Last gen has some amazing new or rebooted AAA series like:

• Deus Ex: Human Revolution (reboot)
  • Red Dead Redemption (reboot)
  • LA Noire
  • Uncharted
  • Gears of War
  • Tomb Raider (reboot)
  • Assassin's Creed
  • The Witcher
  • Borderlands
  • Bioshock
  • Rage
  • Mass Effect
  • Dragon Age
  • Fallout (reboot)
  • Saints Row
  • Just Cause
  • Dishonored
  • Wolfenstein (reboot)
  • Forza Horizon
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • Rock Band
  • Killzone
  • Infamous

That is a big list, and almost every series I listed there is good to amazing imo. This gen's list of new/rebooted AAA's so far this gen by comparison:

• Horizon: Zero Dawn (good)
  • Destiny (disappointment)
  • Watch Dogs (started as a disappointment but improved on the sequel)
  • Until Dawn (good)
  • Quantum Break (good, but a sales disappointment)
  • Sunset Overdrive (good, but a sales disappointment)
  • Spider-Man (reboot) (good)
  • Driveclub (good, but a sales disappointment that got the studio shutdown)
  • The Division (disappointment)
  • Overwatch (Good)
  • The Evil Within (decent)
  • Middle Earth: Shadow of War (good)
  • Titanfall (started good but sequel was a disappointment) 
  • Dying Light (decent)
  • Mad Max (disappointment)
  • The Order: 1886 (disappointment)
  • Doom (reboot) (good)
  • Star Wars: Battlefront (reboot) (disappointment)
  • The Crew (decent)

Objectively the list just isn't as good, and subjectively for me personally it's even further behind. Thankfully however, there are a few promising looking new AAA IP on the horizon like Cyberpunk and Ghost of Tsushima, though sadly there just aren't enough coming in the last few years of the gen to make it anywhere near as good as gen 7 was for new IP.

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 30 November 2018

Why are people making lists or criticizing other lists using double standards? All it does is call their own judgement into question and make their argument suspect. If someone lists a Haze or an LA Noire than tries to discredit another game for being disappointing then something is wrong.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Why are people making lists or criticizing other lists using double standards? All it does is call their own judgement into question and make their argument suspect. If someone lists a Haze or an LA Noire than tries to discredit another game for being disappointing then something is wrong.

LA Noire is objectively a good game though, it got an 89 on metacritic. Comparing it to say Destiny from this gen, which got a low 70's score on metacritic at release, you can objectively say that LA Noire was a better new IP (LA Noire user reviews are much higher as well). Every single new/rebooted IP from my last gen list had a game in the series that meta'd 80 or higher if I'm not mistaken, except for the Wolfenstein reboot, and almost all of them had games that meta'd 85 or higher. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 30 November 2018

shikamaru317 said:
pokoko said:

LA Noire is objectively a good game though, it got a 90 on metacritic. Comparing it to say Destiny from this gen, which got a low 70's score on metacritic at release, you can objectively say that LA Noire was a better new IP. 

Not a chance. It is all subjective. OP includes games like Kane and Lynch (Meta 67), you include games like Just Cause (75 meta), why can't people include Destiny?

Farsala said:
shikamaru317 said:

LA Noire is objectively a good game though, it got a 90 on metacritic. Comparing it to say Destiny from this gen, which got a low 70's score on metacritic at release, you can objectively say that LA Noire was a better new IP. 

Not a chance. It is all subjective. OP includes games like Kane and Lynch (Meta 67), you include games like Just Cause (75 meta), why can't people include Destiny?

Just Cause 2 had an 84 meta, it's not just the first game in the series that decides rather or not it's good. 

I never said people couldn't include Destiny, if you subjectively like it that is fine, but objectively speaking many consider it to be a disappointment, especially the first game. The 2nd game got much higher critic reviews, but the user reviews are still pretty poor. Subjectively I definitely don't like it. I, like many Halo fans, was expecting a singleplayer first, multiplayer second game from Bungie, and Destiny was definitely not that. 

shikamaru317 said:
pokoko said:

LA Noire is objectively a good game though, it got an 89 on metacritic. Comparing it to say Destiny from this gen, which got a low 70's score on metacritic at release, you can objectively say that LA Noire was a better new IP. Every single new/rebooted IP from my last gen list had a game in the series that meta'd 85 or higher if I'm not mistaken, except for Rage, which got an 81, which is still good, and Wolfenstein, which didn't meta too well on the initial reboot, but did meta much higher on The New Order, which was crossgen. 

Where is your commentary for the first list, though?  Where is the "meh" for RAGE?  LA Noire is probably a dead IP (and rightly so).  Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider were "sales disappointments."  There was no consistency with your list, though I wasn't referencing any post in particular.  

pokoko said:
shikamaru317 said:

LA Noire is objectively a good game though, it got an 89 on metacritic. Comparing it to say Destiny from this gen, which got a low 70's score on metacritic at release, you can objectively say that LA Noire was a better new IP. Every single new/rebooted IP from my last gen list had a game in the series that meta'd 85 or higher if I'm not mistaken, except for Rage, which got an 81, which is still good, and Wolfenstein, which didn't meta too well on the initial reboot, but did meta much higher on The New Order, which was crossgen. 

Where is your commentary for the first list, though?  Where is the "meh" for RAGE?  LA Noire is probably a dead IP (and rightly so).  Sleeping Dogs and Tomb Raider were "sales disappointments."  There was no consistency with your list, though I wasn't referencing any post in particular.  

I did an overall commentary for my 7th gen list instead of itemizing it, saying that almost every game on it was subjectively good to amazing for me personally. However, it's not just subjectively good, every series there but one had a 7th gen game that meta'd 80 or higher and almost all of them had a game that meta'd 85 or higher, so you can objectively say it is a good list. 

I didn't consider RAGE to be meh personally, I like it alot in fact. And the critics gave it an 81 meta which is definitely considered to be good. I doubt LA Noire is dead, Take-Two's CEO said they had plans for it just a few years ago, and considering it was a sales and critical success it would be dumb to just let it die. I suspect Rockstar themselves will develop a sequel to it sometime in the future, though probably after Bully 2 and GTA 6.