By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Few New Franchises have been made this Generation!

I'll say this: it feels like there have been more high-profile critical/financial failures and disappointments for big 3rd party publishers this gen compared to last gen.

Around the Network

I totally agree with the OP. This generation's* batch of consoles is a huge disappointment. It's pretty clear actually. Just look at the XB1, Wii U, 3DS and Vita. Each one of the consoles is a disappointment compared to it's predecessor (in two cases they were massively epic failures). Each one also has a lot less new IP compared to its predecessor and that includes both first and third party games.

That just leaves the PS4. It's less of a disappointment than the other consoles, but it's a disappointment nonetheless. The PS4 is succeeding mostly because the 4 other consoles I already mentioned were such disasters. Even though the PS3 was such a huge financial failure, it still had a better library than the PS4 does. Really I'll take the first 5 years of the PS3 over the current PS4 stuff any day. Remember when Assassin's Creed was a hot new IP? Now it's got microtransactions. It's just terrible. The PS4 has the honor of being the least disappointing console in a full crowd of disappointment.

*by this generation, I mean consoles released (2011-2013).

Innovation this gen is happening in VR.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
I totally agree with the OP. This generation's* batch of consoles is a huge disappointment. It's pretty clear actually. Just look at the XB1, Wii U, 3DS and Vita. Each one of the consoles is a disappointment compared to it's predecessor (in two cases they were massively epic failures). Each one also has a lot less new IP compared to its predecessor and that includes both first and third party games.

That just leaves the PS4. It's less of a disappointment than the other consoles, but it's a disappointment nonetheless. The PS4 is succeeding mostly because the 4 other consoles I already mentioned were such disasters. Even though the PS3 was such a huge financial failure, it still had a better library than the PS4 does. Really I'll take the first 5 years of the PS3 over the current PS4 stuff any day. Remember when Assassin's Creed was a hot new IP? Now it's got microtransactions. It's just terrible. The PS4 has the honor of being the least disappointing console in a full crowd of disappointment.

PSVR alone elevates the PS4 over PS3. 

shikamaru317 said:
Farsala said:

Yep and Destiny 2 had a meta of 85. You say stuff like "Comparing it to say Destiny from this gen, which got a low 70's score on metacritic at release, you can objectively say that LA Noire was a better new IP. "  But objectively speaking, Destiny is definitely a much bigger and much more enjoyed ip than LA noire. Personally, I don't care about either Destiny or LA noire.

And in your reboot list, you include something like Fallout or Wolfenstein but don't include stuff like God of War or Monster Hunter World.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the LA Noire vs Destiny comparison it seems. Sales do not equal quality. Sure Destiny sold better than LA Noire, but in terms of both critic and user reviews it lost to LA Noire, as you can see here:

(highest bolded) Critic reviews Metacritic User Reviews
LA Noire (PS3) 89 7.8/10
Destiny (PS4) 85 6.1/10
Destiny 2 (PS4) 76 4.9/10

As for missing games, I didn't exactly do extensive research before making the list, so I missed some. God of War (2018) should indeed be on there, but Monster Hunter World is not a reboot for sure. Wolfenstein (2009) definitely is a reboot, and Fallout 3, while technically a sequel, makes a radical change in gameplay and design formula compared to Fallout 2, a radical enough change that it feels like a reboot. 

The comparison isn't just about critic reviews or user satisfaction. It is about new ips. I have said this time and time again, but I don't care about metacritic or any other user's reviews of the games, or even the sales of the games. But all things can be put together to define what is a big new ip.

I don't see how Wolfenstein is a reboot and Monster Hunter World isn't. In 1992, Wolfenstein was FPS. In 2001, Wolfenstein was "rebooted" as an fps. In 2009 wolfenstein is an FPS. And in 2014 Wolfenstein is an fps. If the ip is released nearly every generation as the same genre, I can't see how it is a reboot. Meanwhile Monster Hunter World is Capcoms first serious attempt to make the MH ip a AAA franchise. Sure gameplay is kind of similar to past entries, but that is just like Wolfenstein.

I don't think we are going to get anywhere, as it all seems too subjective as my first post indicated. I will eject from this thread...

Around the Network

I'm not sure I'd agree. I would actually say it's surprising how much big new IP we've gotten, especially because they are from a lot of publishers who tend to stick to a couple of milked franchises. The problem is more in the fact that a lot of hardcore gamers just aren't interested in these games because a lot of them aren't critically impressive, which leads to the mindset we haven't gotten a lot of new IP.

Barkley said:

There's been PLENTY of new series this generation.

Destiny
The Crew
Sunset Overdrive
The Order 1886
Ryse
Bloodborne
Until Dawn
Recore
Knack
Sea of Thieves
Horizon Zero Dawn
Driveclub
The Last Guardian
Gravity Rush
Detroit: Become Human
Super Lucky's Tale
Quantum Break
PUBG
Fortnite
No Man Sky
Watch Dogs
Steep
Middle-Earth (Shadow of Mordor etc)
Dying Light
The Evil Within
Titanfall
For Honor
Project Cars
Mad Max
Ni-Oh
Evolve
Dragon Quest Builders
Dragon Quest Heroes
World of Final Fantasy
Overwatch
Smite
The Division
Ark
Dirt Rally
Arms
Mario+Rabbids
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Dreams (Coming Soon)
Days Gone (Coming Soon)
Death Stranding (Coming Soon)
Cyberpunk 2077 (Coming Soon)
Ghost of Tshushima (Coming Soon)
Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order (Coming Soon)
Wild (Coming Soon... Maybe)
Anthem (Coming Soon)
Skull & Bones (Coming Soon)

If we're counting reboots or big changes to a series like you do in your second list:

Wolfenstein
Spiderman
Star Wars Battlefront
God of War
Doom
Killer Instinct
Hitman
Monster Hunter World
Beyond Good and Evil 2 (Coming Soon)

To be fair you do have a number of spinoffs in your "new ip" section.

Mar1217 said:
Maybe we should include new IP's from the 3DS librairy, now that would be interesting !

As opposed to the DS library, agreed, that would be interesting.

Errorist76 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

PSVR alone elevates the PS4 over PS3. 

Well that may explain the lack of new IP.  Innovation is going into VR instead of the standard games.  Of course, just like a lot of people don't count all those new games on the Wii, I don't really count all those new games on VR.  I have no interest in VR.

Ka-pi96 said:
lightningfunk said:

PC's doesn't really have a gen,consoles do.

PC platform is a never ending generation as it doesn't have iterations except a new graphic card

Besides, PCs do have gens in new versions of windows. I know that firsthand not being able to play any of the new MS games because I refuse to downgrade to Windows 10

You're doing it wrong. Every other windows is good.

Windows 98 Good, Windows 2000 crap, Windows XP Good, Windows Vista crap, Windows 7 Good, Windows 8 crap, Windows 10 Good!

I was hesitant, but after using 10 I could never go back to 7.