By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dead Cells on Switch is outselling the PS4 by a factor of 4 to 1

I thought that Dead Cells was only on Switch. I don't really know why I thought that. But, it is possible that whatever gave me that impression has given that impression to other people as well. if so, that would likely be a contributing factor to the much stronger performance on Switch.

Around the Network
Jranation said:
CGcarmineCG said:

In my opinion the main reason is that the Switch is lacking big games. To explain better, games that people perceive as 60 euro games instead of games sold at 50-60 euro that seems 20 euro games. My Switch this year hasn't seen any NEW AAA game. Bayonetta 1-2 remaster, Hollow Knight which is an indie, Galak Z Free to play, Fortnite battle royale Free to play, and that's it. The lack of big games is strange for a console doing this well. No big games, the only one that remains are indies. Someone will say Dark souls, LA Noire ecc... are remasters too. After a splendid 2017 this 2018 is a big let down so far and my plan is to buy some indies, just to play something on Switch. You know why? Cause there's no other option.

Theres also the option of buying games you didn't buy in 2017? Or buy games on other consoles you own?

Nintendo is not forcing anyone to buy indie games. 

I already picked up the best of 2017 on Switch. Zelda and season pass, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart Deluxe even if i already own it on WiiU, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2 and Season pass, Mario rabbids, Fire emblem warriors. And i buy games on PS4 Pro and Xbox One S. On PS4 i have to chose. Dragon Quest or Spider-Man? Just an example, the dilemma should be expanded to many more titles. On Switch what should i play?
I'd like to use all of my consoles, especially the new ones. I don't want to see another WiiU with 2 inches of dust, so that's why if i have to chose an indie probably i'll play it on Switch, otherwise I should keep the console off for a huge amount of time and i hate this thing. You know, if i spent 400 euro of console, i'd like to use it. If it weren't for Hollow Knight (i bought it in August) it would have been turned off since February, and in February i got Bayonetta 1-2 that i already got on WiiU so... No big games it's the answer at the attach rate question. And i have more consoles. If someone own only Switch and want to play something, the question becomes even more serious. Indie 1 or indie 2? Or maybe indie 3?

Wow, didn't talk long for the Sony defense force to come in here and twist this news.

In most cases, there are no advantages of buying indie games on PS4 or XB1 if you already own the Switch.

irstupid said:
Wow, didn't talk long for the Sony defense force to come in here and twist this news.

Some things never change.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
This is the first time I'm hearing about Dead Cells. There is just so many games to play.

Sixteenvolt420 said:
I've honestly never heard of Dead Cells, until now. Then again, i don't buy most digital games, until they're like $7 or less.

For people who frequent a video games discussion site, you are both woefully behind in industry news if that's the case.  You never heard of Dead Cells?  Not even after the IGN plagiarized review debacle?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-08-07-ign-removes-dead-cells-review-after-youtubers-plagiarism-accusations

Miyamotoo said:
Kerotan said:

I think its more its a new console selling well and the user base are thirsty for new games. 

Exact same happened during the ps4 first 2 years. Selling fast so big user base, not enough games so ps4 players were thirsty and as a result indies were selling incredibly well. We're at the point where there's a ton of ps4 games and older AAA titles can be regularly bought on sale at indie game price. 

Imo if Nintendo can up the output of big games from themselves and third parties over the next few years indie sales will settle down although remain good. 

Lawlight said: 

This. It happened with the Vita and PS4. At this stage; there is no reason to play indie games on the PS4.

That wasnt relly case with Wii U, also Switch has quite stronger SW sales for same time period and install base in any case than few previous Nintendo hardwares including 3DS and Wii. Reality is that Switch install base is quite active when we talking about purchasing games in any case, going from Indies to Nintendo games.

I know it wasn't the case with the wii u because the Wii u was selling terribly unlike switch and ps4. Wii u is the reason Nintendo will never make a traditional home console again imo. They need it to be portable or it won't do nearly as well. 

Mandalore76 said:
deskpro2k3 said:
This is the first time I'm hearing about Dead Cells. There is just so many games to play.

You never heard of Dead Cells?

Well I know about it now. I hope that answers your question.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

wow people really don't like these news. 1 game sold better on the Switch. Yep, the PS4 is now a big failure...

Lawlight said:
xMetroid said:

Sony used the Indies when they hadn't much to show but once they had other games and popular system they quickly ditched the indie market. Nintendo is doing amazingly well with the Switch and they still make Indie only directs and push them hard at conventions. Don't think this is going to change next year if they are still doing it even if they are planning to sell 20 millions Switch this FY.

But anyway, great for the team. Like some people said, indie devs would be crazy not to port their games to Switch.

It’s true that the Switch is selling a lot but the library is sparse enough for Nintendo to push indies. Sony dropped indies roughly in 2016.

Nintendo has less games available than Sony, so unlike Sony, Nintendo needs indie games. It's a strategy for Nintendo that Sony isn't required to follow.

Personally, I find more indie games on PS4 that I like than on Nintendo. Nintendo is like 2D platforms everywhere. No doubt many 2d plats are brilliant, but I'm just fed up with 2d plats. I can't play this genre any more.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?