By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dead Cells on Switch is outselling the PS4 by a factor of 4 to 1

Not a person who cares much about Indies, have played some gave on PS+ and some remakes of games I liked.

Still, good that they are still having success.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
CGcarmineCG said:

In my opinion the main reason is that the Switch is lacking big games. To explain better, games that people perceive as 60 euro games instead of games sold at 50-60 euro that seems 20 euro games. My Switch this year hasn't seen any NEW AAA game. Bayonetta 1-2 remaster, Hollow Knight which is an indie, Galak Z Free to play, Fortnite battle royale Free to play, and that's it. The lack of big games is strange for a console doing this well. No big games, the only one that remains are indies. Someone will say Dark souls, LA Noire ecc... are remasters too. After a splendid 2017 this 2018 is a big let down so far and my plan is to buy some indies, just to play something on Switch. You know why? Cause there's no other option.

I wouldn't say that Switch is lacking big games. In my opinion it has enough for this year on an industry perspective and on a Nintendo perspective too, because Nintendo has become a console for Nintendo exclusives over the years. If you're a Wii U owner, not so much, due to the ports. But since Wii U went down the pan, most of those ports have the same value as new.

However, I'd say that it might become a problem next year. It's the same question I did on another topic: After Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, MK, Smash, etc all released in 2 years, what else Nintendo has to show to compete against Sony?

Pokemon is another story, though. Nintendo releases 4 Pokemon for Switch and the system sells 80m easy, I wouldn't deny that, however I feel as if Nintendo has used all its cards. From 2019 on, specially competing against the new generation of consoles, I guess Nintendo will keep highlighting indies more and more.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

CGcarmineCG said:
Jranation said:

Theres also the option of buying games you didn't buy in 2017? Or buy games on other consoles you own?

Nintendo is not forcing anyone to buy indie games. 

I already picked up the best of 2017 on Switch. Zelda and season pass, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart Deluxe even if i already own it on WiiU, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2 and Season pass, Mario rabbids, Fire emblem warriors. And i buy games on PS4 Pro and Xbox One S. On PS4 i have to chose. Dragon Quest or Spider-Man? Just an example, the dilemma should be expanded to many more titles. On Switch what should i play?
I'd like to use all of my consoles, especially the new ones. I don't want to see another WiiU with 2 inches of dust, so that's why if i have to chose an indie probably i'll play it on Switch, otherwise I should keep the console off for a huge amount of time and i hate this thing. You know, if i spent 400 euro of console, i'd like to use it. If it weren't for Hollow Knight (i bought it in August) it would have been turned off since February, and in February i got Bayonetta 1-2 that i already got on WiiU so... No big games it's the answer at the attach rate question. And i have more consoles. If someone own only Switch and want to play something, the question becomes even more serious. Indie 1 or indie 2? Or maybe indie 3?

Depends on what you like. If you only buy the big games then yeah Switch hasn't had anything all year. Then again lots of people have bought Kirby, Mario Tennis, Labo, Donkey Kong, Octopath - all well over a million with digital in just a few months. Personally I've bought 3 indies and Mario+Rabbids(at $30) this year. I'll get Octopath and DK later on when they are $30 or less as these days I am very picky about what I will pay $60 for. I haven't bought indie games because there was nothing else to buy though. I still haven't played through Zelda, I have more Mario I want to play, and I could always play more Mario Kart and Splatoon so I've got plenty to play just from the four Nintendo games I bought last year. I've bought a bunch of indie games cuz there are awesome indie games on Switch. If I felt like spending the money I would buy several more indie games that have come out this year. A handheld is the perfect system for playing indie games, regardless of how many big major games you buy. Hell over the winter I might buy a couple of the indie games I want instead of Smash and wait until I get really desperate to play Smash before I buy it later on.

Neat. Will have to see if 3D Dark Souls can mirror the 2D Dark Souls when/if it gets released on Switch.

4;1 cose is intendo :p

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Kerotan said:

I think its more its a new console selling well and the user base are thirsty for new games. 

Exact same happened during the ps4 first 2 years. Selling fast so big user base, not enough games so ps4 players were thirsty and as a result indies were selling incredibly well. We're at the point where there's a ton of ps4 games and older AAA titles can be regularly bought on sale at indie game price. 

Imo if Nintendo can up the output of big games from themselves and third parties over the next few years indie sales will settle down although remain good. 

This. It happened with the Vita and PS4. At this stage; there is no reason to play indie games on the PS4.

Yup, no reason at all to play indie titles on PS4. PS4 owners are true hardcore gamers and only AAA+++ games are worthy of their precious time.

I'm guessing part of the reason behind this is that on Switch new indie games like Dead Cells can more easily get and retain the spotlight because there isn't as much competition on the platform yet. On other platforms a lot of games end up getting lost quite quickly because there's just so many games competing for attention at all time, whereas on the Switch the marketplace isn't as oversaturated yet, which I think is great.

I honestly hope that Nintendo keeps the number of new games released on the platform each week at manageable levels, so games like Dead Cells can succeed to this extent.

Mandalore76 said:
deskpro2k3 said:
This is the first time I'm hearing about Dead Cells. There is just so many games to play.

Sixteenvolt420 said:
I've honestly never heard of Dead Cells, until now. Then again, i don't buy most digital games, until they're like $7 or less.

For people who frequent a video games discussion site, you are both woefully behind in industry news if that's the case.  You never heard of Dead Cells?  Not even after the IGN plagiarized review debacle?

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-08-07-ign-removes-dead-cells-review-after-youtubers-plagiarism-accusations

I only read whatever topics come up on the hot topics section, on the front page. I never visit the actual forums. As for IGN, i just pick up the few stories that are shown on my Facebook page. I don't go to vg sites for vg news, for the most part.

think-man said:
I wonder if ps plus giving away indie games all the time is affecting sales. I think in the last year I've only bought 1 indie game on the ps4. I always think in the back of my head that any indie i want will eventually be on plus.

It certainly has impact my perception of value for indie games. I haven't paid for an indie game in 2+ years on PS4. Why would I buy them knowing that good ones are going to be free on PS+ or Twitch Prime.

I bought Oceanhorn and Has Been Heroes on Switch, but that was more out of wanting to have something to play on the device rather than really wanting to play those games.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

I have this game on Steam and its pretty damn good. Doesn't surprise me at all that its outselling other consoles, this is a growing trend and it's not stopping any time soon. N

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick