By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dead Cells on Switch is outselling the PS4 by a factor of 4 to 1

Hearing this isn't surprising anymore, Nintendo has been really successful at building Switch as the go-to place for indie-games. But anyways congratulations to the developer

Around the Network

I'm not really surprised. Indies do well on Switch, especially the 2D ones it seems.

cycycychris said:

Another Indie game killing it on Switch, you'd gotta be crazy at this point not to port your game to switch if your a indie Dev.

It strongly depends on the sort of game. Dead Cells checks all the boxes though: hardcore skill-based platforming metroidvania. That seems to do extraordinarily well on Switch. Shooter seems to be the weak side of the Switch-base though.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

melbye said:
Hearing this isn't surprising anymore, Nintendo has been really successful at building Switch as the go-to place for indie-games. But anyways congratulations to the developer

I think its more its a new console selling well and the user base are thirsty for new games. 

Exact same happened during the ps4 first 2 years. Selling fast so big user base, not enough games so ps4 players were thirsty and as a result indies were selling incredibly well. We're at the point where there's a ton of ps4 games and older AAA titles can be regularly bought on sale at indie game price. 

Imo if Nintendo can up the output of big games from themselves and third parties over the next few years indie sales will settle down although remain good. 

I have a PS4Pro, Pc, and Switch. I buy all of my indies on switch because of portability.

Around the Network

Not surprising.

Kerotan said:
melbye said:

I think its more its a new console selling well and the user base are thirsty for new games. 

Exact same happened during the ps4 first 2 years. Selling fast so big user base, not enough games so ps4 players were thirsty and as a result indies were selling incredibly well. We're at the point where there's a ton of ps4 games and older AAA titles can be regularly bought on sale at indie game price. 

Imo if Nintendo can up the output of big games from themselves and third parties over the next few years indie sales will settle down although remain good. 

I think the difference is that Nintendo, much like Sony did in its first two years, is pushing indies hard with marketing, and appearing on directs and all that.When Sony stopped featuring indies on their main conferences and marketing it hard, its sales floundered with it.

Guess we will see if Nintendo keeps courting the indies for the rest of the Switch life.If that happens, I can see the overall success of indies on the system being maintained for the majority of the systems life.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Kerotan said:
melbye said:

This. It happened with the Vita and PS4. At this stage; there is no reason to play indie games on the PS4.

Nautilus said:
Kerotan said:

I think the difference is that Nintendo, much like Sony did in its first two years, is pushing indies hard with marketing, and appearing on directs and all that.When Sony stopped featuring indies on their main conferences and marketing it hard, its sales floundered with it.

Guess we will see if Nintendo keeps courting the indies for the rest of the Switch life.If that happens, I can see the overall success of indies on the system being maintained for the majority of the systems life.

Sony used the Indies when they hadn't much to show but once they had other games and popular system they quickly ditched the indie market. Nintendo is doing amazingly well with the Switch and they still make Indie only directs and push them hard at conventions. Don't think this is going to change next year if they are still doing it even if they are planning to sell 20 millions Switch this FY.

But anyway, great for the team. Like some people said, indie devs would be crazy not to port their games to Switch.

This is the first time I'm hearing about Dead Cells. There is just so many games to play.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5