By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Dead Cells on Switch is outselling the PS4 by a factor of 4 to 1

Switch is a beast, great to hear another indie doing well 

Around the Network
xMetroid said:
Nautilus said:

I think the difference is that Nintendo, much like Sony did in its first two years, is pushing indies hard with marketing, and appearing on directs and all that.When Sony stopped featuring indies on their main conferences and marketing it hard, its sales floundered with it.

Guess we will see if Nintendo keeps courting the indies for the rest of the Switch life.If that happens, I can see the overall success of indies on the system being maintained for the majority of the systems life.

Sony used the Indies when they hadn't much to show but once they had other games and popular system they quickly ditched the indie market. Nintendo is doing amazingly well with the Switch and they still make Indie only directs and push them hard at conventions. Don't think this is going to change next year if they are still doing it even if they are planning to sell 20 millions Switch this FY.

But anyway, great for the team. Like some people said, indie devs would be crazy not to port their games to Switch.

It’s true that the Switch is selling a lot but the library is sparse enough for Nintendo to push indies. Sony dropped indies roughly in 2016.

Switch is amazing for indies. Heck 6 of my 12 games are indie games (and 8 of 12 are third party). I've got way more Switch games than I thought I would buy because its too damn hard to pass up amazing indie games at like $15-$20 that I can play anywhere! And there are several more I want to buy (including probably dead cells).

Guys, threads like this are just stupid. They are just plain stupid. Indie SW on Switch will always beat PlayStation because Switch gamers are inbetween big releases and those indies are filling in the gaps,just like PS4 early in its life. Assuming Switch is able to gain/maintain notable big name 3rd party SW, there will be a reduction in indie prominence.... Just like PS4 early in its life.

DQ11, Spider Man, Tomb Raider and a bunch of other shit are kickin the Fall Season off. Where do you guys think PS4 gamers are looking right now?

Xxain said:
Where do you guys think PS4 gamers are looking right now?

Probably Netflix ;)

Around the Network
xMetroid said:
Nautilus said:

I think the difference is that Nintendo, much like Sony did in its first two years, is pushing indies hard with marketing, and appearing on directs and all that.When Sony stopped featuring indies on their main conferences and marketing it hard, its sales floundered with it.

Guess we will see if Nintendo keeps courting the indies for the rest of the Switch life.If that happens, I can see the overall success of indies on the system being maintained for the majority of the systems life.

Sony used the Indies when they hadn't much to show but once they had other games and popular system they quickly ditched the indie market. Nintendo is doing amazingly well with the Switch and they still make Indie only directs and push them hard at conventions. Don't think this is going to change next year if they are still doing it even if they are planning to sell 20 millions Switch this FY.

But anyway, great for the team. Like some people said, indie devs would be crazy not to port their games to Switch.

Has far more to do with what they have to show, than how well the console is selling. The PS4 has never stopped selling well, and indie were major parts of all press conferences for 2 years and some. When you get deeper into what you have to offer and as you could big 3rd party titles, it's only natural to fade on indie games. 

I don't see Nintendo breaking from the trend where big companies only embrace indies as a way of bridging themselves from big releases to big releases.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

It certainly is a great game for mobile.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Kerotan said:
melbye said:
Hearing this isn't surprising anymore, Nintendo has been really successful at building Switch as the go-to place for indie-games. But anyways congratulations to the developer

I think its more its a new console selling well and the user base are thirsty for new games. 

Exact same happened during the ps4 first 2 years. Selling fast so big user base, not enough games so ps4 players were thirsty and as a result indies were selling incredibly well. We're at the point where there's a ton of ps4 games and older AAA titles can be regularly bought on sale at indie game price. 

Imo if Nintendo can up the output of big games from themselves and third parties over the next few years indie sales will settle down although remain good. 

Lawlight said: 
Kerotan said: 

I think its more its a new console selling well and the user base are thirsty for new games. 

Exact same happened during the ps4 first 2 years. Selling fast so big user base, not enough games so ps4 players were thirsty and as a result indies were selling incredibly well. We're at the point where there's a ton of ps4 games and older AAA titles can be regularly bought on sale at indie game price. 

Imo if Nintendo can up the output of big games from themselves and third parties over the next few years indie sales will settle down although remain good. 

This. It happened with the Vita and PS4. At this stage; there is no reason to play indie games on the PS4.

That wasnt relly case with Wii U, also Switch has quite stronger SW sales for same time period and install base in any case than few previous Nintendo hardwares including 3DS and Wii. Reality is that Switch install base is quite active when we talking about purchasing games in any case, going from Indies to Nintendo games.

Is this supposed to be a surprise? A grind-heavy metroidvania / dark souls game selling well on the potentially portable system. Yeah.

I've honestly never heard of Dead Cells, until now. Then again, i don't buy most digital games, until they're like $7 or less.