By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 195 Rapid-Fire Questions About Call Of Duty's Blackout

Lmao, it wouldn't even run on the Switch. It's too weak a hardware for trying to run any game post-2018. Remember when Doom ran at 476p 20fps?? They had to gimp the audio too for the game to be playable. You'd have to downgrade so many important things for a multiplayer shooter. How can Switch run an actual multiplayer shooter with lots of particle effects and projectile physics when it can't even run a 2016 game.

The Switch is weak, get over it. It's mostly a console to play platformers and turn-based RPGs i.e. not graphically demanding games. Plus there's no point in putting a COD in Switch, not only would it run horribly but also the demographic is totally different. Nintendudes aren't into mainstream shooters, they never have been.

BO4 didn't run well on the OG Xbox One either. It's why I bought the X almost immediately. Games right now are mostly playable only on the mid gen refresh consoles and the Switch is far and away weaker than those consoles.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

25 and 35 year olds may not necessarily want to play vastly inferior versions of games though.

Also, I look at the sales of Wii U games. The top selling games on the platform look like the typical Nintendo audience for the most part. Probably because Switch isn't just the successor to Wii U, but the successor of the significantly more popular platform called 3DS.

I know Bethesda said their games have done well on Switch, but the numbers don't really reflect that in my opinion. PS4 and X1 did a better job selling 3rd party content at launch than Switch has in its life (that's a userbase argument I made).

How much games sell on PS4/Xbone isn't relevant to whether sales on Switch are profitable. They wouldn't have funded Doom Eternal for Switch if Doom was a money-loser.

Perhaps they are betting on the Switch long term even if the current sales are modest. Activision did this with CoD on Wii, but according VGChartz sales declined with each release. MW3 was one of the best selling ever in the series but did poor on Wii.

Doom did okay, but those numbers wouldn't get much praise on Xbox or PlayStation. Wolfenstein 2 might be a flop on Switch. Will Doom Eternal sell as well as its predecessor? If the answer is no, then support may not last.

NBA 2K18 has sold a small fraction of other platforms by the way in spite of having about half the userbase of X1.

There are a few 3rd party games that have done well on Switch like Skyrim, Sonic and a few other games due to limited options in the launch window. But it seems like Switch is another platform primarily played by Nintendo fans. Whether it be fans of the NES to Wii U, Gameboy to 3DS. Nintendo has again been successful at appealing to its target audience.

But when the X1 had a userbase of 20 million, it did a much better job at selling 3rd party games then Switch currently does. Its also possible many Switch owners also use a X1 or PS4. That would mean they tend to use Switch for its exclusives.

Last edited by Mr Puggsly - on 05 September 2018

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

adisababa said:
Games right now are mostly playable only on the mid gen refresh consoles

adisababa said:
Lmao, it wouldn't even run on the Switch. It's too weak a hardware for trying to run any game post-2018. 

Doom Eternal.

Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

How much games sell on PS4/Xbone isn't relevant to whether sales on Switch are profitable. They wouldn't have funded Doom Eternal for Switch if Doom was a money-loser.

Perhaps they are betting on the Switch long term even if the current sales are modest. Activision did this with CoD on Wii, but according VGChartz sales declined with each release. MW3 was one of the best selling ever in the series but did poor on Wii.

Doom did okay, but those numbers wouldn't get much praise on Xbox or PlayStation. Wolfenstein 2 might be a flop on Switch. Will Doom Eternal sell as well as its predecessor? If the answer is no, then support may not last.

NBA 2K18 has sold a small fraction of other platforms by the way in spite of having about half the userbase of X1.

There are a few 3rd party games that have done well on Switch like Skyrim, Sonic and a few other games due to limited options in the launch window. But it seems like Switch is another platform primarily played by Nintendo fans. Whether it be fans of the NES to Wii U, Gameboy to 3DS. Nintendo has again been successful at appealing to its target audience.

But when the X1 had a userbase of 20 million, it did a much better job at selling 3rd party games then Switch currently does. Its also possible many Switch owners also use a X1 or PS4. That would mean they tend to use Switch for its exclusives.

How much games sell on PS4/Xbone is irrelevant to whether they're profitable on Switch. If a game like COD or Doom is already made, porting it over to Switch is relatively inexpensive, at 350k (physical only) Doom may have already turned a tidy profit.

Shiken said:
Well seeing how DOOM and Wolfenstein II run on it, DOOM Eternal will run on it, NBA2K18/19 run on it, etc...

The only thing that does is make them look untalented as developers. Not to mention CoD would sell crazy on the Switch. Guess they do not like money?

Not so sure about that one. Doom and Wolfenstein released relatively poor compared to the releases of other platforms. And no, this isn't because late port alone, other late ports like Rayman Legends, Minecraft and Minecraft Story Mode, Skyrim and Crash did a lot better. Still, COD is bigger than Doom, they probably sell enough to make the porting costs. Maybe they didn't wanted to apply internal resources and external porting studios were booked out (maybe it was one of the things Panic Button had to decline).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
deskpro2k3 said:
The fan base is not on Switch. So the cost of porting it probably won't even break even.

People tend to underestimate how cheap porting is. That's why indies do it all the time. If a COD port couldn't break even, then surely the Doom and Wolfenstein port wouldn't as these are smaller IPs. Still Bethesda feels fine with it. It is not so much about the port breaking even at all, but more about if the same resources could be applied in an area there they would bring in even more profit. That and politics naturally. It is incredible how much such decisions boil down to politics. I really think someone at Bethesda loves the Switch and that's why we get the stuff. Or look at the Crash-port. Management didn't even considered this until a single dev presented his weekend work.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

flashfire926 said:
Shiken said:
Well seeing how DOOM and Wolfenstein II run on it, DOOM Eternal will run on it, NBA2K18/19 run on it, etc...

The only thing that does is make them look untalented as developers. Not to mention CoD would sell crazy on the Switch. Guess they do not like money?

I'm playing the devil's advocate here I know, but I don't think COD has any chance of even running on the Switch. And let's face it, most other modern (PS4/XB1) triple-A, realistic graphics games can't either. Sports games are significantly less demanding, so they can run cleanly.

Doom/Wolfenstein are an exception because their engine (ID Tech) is probably the most scaleable engine in the industry (allowing Doom to run on a potato). ID software are outright wizards when it comes to their tech, and are very experienced veterans in game development (though I'm not trying taking any credit away from the Switch itself to be able to rum those games, as you have to remember, that this is a handheld as much as it is a home console).

Nah. You can port pretty much everything, if you scale down resolution, effects, anti-aliasing and frame-rate. Wolfenstein was scaled down heavily in resolution, because the devs wanted to keep the effects. And it has nothing to do with a wizard engine, Doom and Wolfenstein were ported by outside resources. Also COD was ported on Wii, which was a much bigger gap in tech and WiiU got some COD-games, hard to see that COD has evolved so much technically since then, that it can't run on a more powerful machine.

It's down to sales expectations and manager decisions.

jason1637 said:
curl-6 said:

The Switch audience is not the same audience as the Wii and Wii U.

Switch and Wii U audience are the same.

LOL. As this is so obviously wrong that must be satire.

flashfire926 said:
Shiken said:

I'm playing the devil's advocate here I know, but I don't think COD has any chance of even running on the Switch. And let's face it, most other modern (PS4/XB1) triple-A, realistic graphics games can't either. Sports games are significantly less demanding, so they can run cleanly.

Doom/Wolfenstein are an exception because their engine (ID Tech) is probably the most scaleable engine in the industry (allowing Doom to run on a potato). ID software are outright wizards when it comes to their tech, and are very experienced veterans in game development (though I'm not trying taking any credit away from the Switch itself to be able to rum those games, as you have to remember, that this is a handheld as much as it is a home console).

If it runs smooth as sub HD as a portable version, it would be fine.  No one expects full HD from the Switch on this game.  Most games on the PS4/X1 can run at sub HD levels.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

adisababa said:
Lmao, it wouldn't even run on the Switch. It's too weak a hardware for trying to run any game post-2018. Remember when Doom ran at 476p 20fps?? They had to gimp the audio too for the game to be playable. You'd have to downgrade so many important things for a multiplayer shooter. How can Switch run an actual multiplayer shooter with lots of particle effects and projectile physics when it can't even run a 2016 game.

The Switch is weak, get over it. It's mostly a console to play platformers and turn-based RPGs i.e. not graphically demanding games. Plus there's no point in putting a COD in Switch, not only would it run horribly but also the demographic is totally different. Nintendudes aren't into mainstream shooters, they never have been.

BO4 didn't run well on the OG Xbox One either. It's why I bought the X almost immediately. Games right now are mostly playable only on the mid gen refresh consoles and the Switch is far and away weaker than those consoles.

CoD from PS3/360 were ported to Wii, and we talking about much bigger difrence in any case betwine Wii and PS3/360 compared to Switch and XB1/PS4. You saying it cant run 2016. game and yet 2019. game is coming to Switch (Doom Eternal), also Doom from 2016. if first big 3rd party AAA Switch port so its not ceiling of Switch capabilities.

Switch dont has typical Nintendo demographic, wide variety of different types of games are selling good on Switch.

Every game could be ported on Switch, only question is what cut backs would be, dont forget that CoD games on XB1 runs at 60FPS, on Switch they could run at 30 FPS like Doom and Wolfenstein for instance.