By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - 195 Rapid-Fire Questions About Call Of Duty's Blackout

While I would like to see those types of games on the Switch, I think people are right that the audience isn't on the Switch. First off they would have to make cuts to the game to get it to run on the Switch which would make the game worse (as opposed to if the game was built from the ground up for Switch's specs level). Also people who are really into CoD already have a PS4 or Xbox. Some of them also have a Switch, but they aren't gonna buy a pared down version for the Switch instead of the game as it was meant to be on one of the other systems that they already own. By not bringing quality CoD games to Nintendo systems they have created an audience that exists only on PS/Xbox systems and doesn't exist in much force on Nintendo systems. Now if they went and built a AAA Call of Duty game specifically for the Switch and exclusive to the Switch I'm sure that'd sell millions, but not a pared down lower quality version of a game that was built for ps/xbox spec level. Switch can handle some ps/xbox games by just adjusted frame rate and resolution down or cutting out some graphical details and whatnot, but Switch isn't going to be able to handle the super realistic graphical games that push the ps/xbox hardware.

I'd like to see some AAA shooters come out on Switch made for Switch so they are top quality and we don't even need to talk about CoD on the Switch because that niche will already be filled.

Around the Network
Shiken said:
Well seeing how DOOM and Wolfenstein II run on it, DOOM Eternal will run on it, NBA2K18/19 run on it, etc...

Maybe its more like a laugh of, "this fucking question again." I imagine every developer is bothered by the question of a port. With a game like CoD is probably asked many times daily via social media.

I'm not sure if port begging is a real motivator, meanwhile the Xbox and PlayStation are the focus for obvious reasons.

Personally, I think I'd rather see older CoD ported to Switch which would achieve 60 fps and higher resolutions than 7th gen achieved. Hence, the intended CoD experience on a portable device. An 8th gen port is often a greatly reduced frame rate and resolution.

Or if they wanna do something really ambitious, find another studio willing to rebuild modern CoD games with a custom or older engine that works with Switch better. Kinda like how Forza Horizon 2 was handled on 360, different/old engine but very much a similar game.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

curl-6 said:
jason1637 said:

The audience are similar still. The Switch and Wii U are aimed at hardcore Nintendo fans it just happens to be less fans bought the Wii U.

Its like how Black Ops 4 have the same audience  (fps fans) but that doesn't mean every fps fan will buy both games.

Switch is not aimed at the same audience as Wii U at all. Look at the advertising. Wii U was aimed at kids. Switch is aimed at 25-35 year olds.

25 and 35 year olds may not necessarily want to play vastly inferior versions of games though.

Also, I look at the sales of Wii U games. The top selling games on the platform look like the typical Nintendo audience for the most part. Probably because Switch isn't just the successor to Wii U, but the successor of the significantly more popular platform called 3DS.

I know Bethesda said their games have done well on Switch, but the numbers don't really reflect that in my opinion. PS4 and X1 did a better job selling 3rd party content at launch than Switch has in its life (that's a userbase argument I made).

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

curl-6 said:
flashfire926 said:

So you are encouraging developers to put out a sub-bar product to earn a quick a buck? That's exactly how we got WWE 2K18 on Switch.

You can port a PS4/Xbone game to Switch without it being WWE 2K18 levels of awful. Doom, Wolfenstein II, Outlast II for instance are of acceptable quality despite the necessary technical cutbacks.

Outlast and Crash are good ports. Personally, I consider DOOM/Wolfeinstein ports opposite of good.

OT: You guys should really watch interview.

I'm surprised to see this reaction since Treyarch developed all of the Call of Duty games on the Wii, and they all sold decently. The audience is definitely there. If the Wii got COD then I don't see why the Switch isn't worthy.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
curl-6 said:

Switch is not aimed at the same audience as Wii U at all. Look at the advertising. Wii U was aimed at kids. Switch is aimed at 25-35 year olds.

25 and 35 year olds may not necessarily want to play vastly inferior versions of games though.

Also, I look at the sales of Wii U games. The top selling games on the platform look like the typical Nintendo audience for the most part. Probably because Switch isn't just the successor to Wii U, but the successor of the significantly more popular platform called 3DS.

I know Bethesda said their games have done well on Switch, but the numbers don't really reflect that in my opinion. PS4 and X1 did a better job selling 3rd party content at launch than Switch has in its life (that's a userbase argument I made).

How much games sell on PS4/Xbone isn't relevant to whether sales on Switch are profitable. They wouldn't have funded Doom Eternal for Switch if Doom was a money-loser.

curl-6 said:

You should add more to the thread title, at present it reads like clickbait spam.

As for the topic, Activision are idiots for not putting COD on Switch. 4 COD games passed the million mark on the freaking Wii of all systems. And the technical gap was far greater then.

Which makes me think that there is more to this story than meet the eyes.  If I were to make a wild guess I would say that Nintendo - Activision relations are not in good terms at the moment.  And no, Im not talking about "X company hates Y company because of reasons".  Business are not ran based on feelings.  There is a lot of logistics, contracts and agreements before games of this budget are put on any specific console.

curl-6 said:
flashfire926 said:

So you are encouraging developers to put out a sub-bar product to earn a quick a buck? That's exactly how we got WWE 2K18 on Switch.

You can port a PS4/Xbone game to Switch without it being WWE 2K18 levels of awful. Doom, Wolfenstein II, Outlast II for instance are of acceptable quality despite the necessary technical cutbacks.

Why would they spend the resources on it? Those games compared to COD are small peanuts. The opportunity cost of segmenting their teams more may not even be worth the time. Especially considering how tight the dev cycles are on those games. The next two games are already well into production and they cut enough corners as is.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
curl-6 said:

Why would they spend the resources on it? Those games compared to COD are small peanuts. The opportunity cost of segmenting their teams more may not even be worth the time. Especially considering how tight the dev cycles are on those games. The next two games are already well into production and they cut enough corners as is.

You don't need to segment your teams, that's what porting houses are for.

curl-6 said:
outlawauron said:

You don't need to segment your teams, that's what porting houses are for.

That's a fair suggestion. I know Activision doesn't really like to do the delayed release (as it messes up the gap/recovery in between each title), but as far as one-offs. It could certainly be done. They haven't done much work with contracted dev teams since the awful Call of Duty Declassified. Apparently that wasn't quite the outside devs fault since they had less than 9 months to develop and release it, but I don't think we'll see another out-of-house Call of Duty game in a while.

If Switch were to get an COD, I think it's be a remaster/collection. I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been a Modern Warfare collection yet. 

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.