By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Financial Results: Switch sales top 19.67m, Mario Tennis 1.38m, DK TF 1.4m, more

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Pretty insane numbers for Pokemon Sun/Moon + Ultra Sun/Moon, combined 23 million.

Pretty standard for Pokemon since gen 3, one of the most consistent franchises around.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:
Pretty insane numbers for Pokemon Sun/Moon + Ultra Sun/Moon, combined 23 million.

Pretty standard for Pokemon since gen 3, one of the most consistent franchises around.

Not really. Going by third version standards, and considering the platform it's on and how late in the lifespan of the 3ds it is, it's selling very well for a ultimate version.

Great 15 month numbers, but not the best quarter. I'm still not sold on 20 million this year. We still have 18.12 left to go and the year is 1/4 spoken for. Even if it averages 3x as many units for every additional quarter all year they still fall short. Pokemon and Smash are big games, but Q4 is usually just as slow as Q1. Is Nintendo seriously implying they are going to sell well over 10 million consoles in Q3?

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Stock is up 6 percent, which shows that at least it's been a good report.

OTBWY said:

Honestly, the stocks are nothing to get worked up about at a time like this. Especially when they go down. Profits and making money are all that matter at the end of the day, and right now, Nintendo is raking in the dough, and with both hardware and software sales expected to rise and build, plus their paid online service right around the corner, (just ask Sony and Microsoft how much money PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live Gold brings them every quarter) there are no signs or indication of that slowing any time soon. 
At this moment, any time you see their stock in the red, that just means, "Hey, this is probably a good time for ME to invest!"

Around the Network
PAOerfulone said:
OTBWY said:

Honestly, the stocks are nothing to get worked up about at a time like this. Especially when they go down. Profits and making money are all that matter at the end of the day, and right now, Nintendo is raking in the dough, and with both hardware and software sales expected to rise and build, plus their paid online service right around the corner, (just ask Sony and Microsoft how much money PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live Gold brings them every quarter) there are no signs or indication of that slowing any time soon. 
At this moment, any time you see their stock in the red, that just means, "Hey, this is probably a good time for ME to invest!"

I don't think now is the time to invest in Nintendo unless it takes a big hit on a given day for no reason.  The general direction is down and I feel the Switch lineup is still lacking through tge end of 2018.  very disappointing in light of the amazing 2017 and the fact that Nintendo has only one platform to develop for...minus a few small 3DS releases.

PortisheadBiscuit said:
Asriel said:
 This should be a firm lesson to Nintendo, though; they need to work to make sure their system-sellers land more consistently throughout the year.

I dont understand this type of reasoning, "oh this should be a lesson". If the titles arent ready, they simply arent ready. Should they have just released gimped versions of titles that needed a gazillion  patches instead?

My reasoning is simple: Nintendo have set a certain hardware target and need to have the plans and products in place to achieve that target. 

They should allocate their resources more effectively and aim to release a system-seller once every four months, on average. The reasoning of "if games aren't ready they aren't ready" ignores the resources Nintendo have and the fact that Nintendo have to carry their system using their own software. Unlike Microsoft or Sony, they can't bank on major third party titles shifting hardware for them. If Nintendo say they're going to shift 20 million units in a year, they need to have the software and plans in place to make that happen.

I say that as someone who hasn't yet categorically ruled out Nintendo achieving the 20 million target, but this relatively soft quarter of hardware shipments makes it even more challenging than it was.

Last edited by Asriel - on 01 August 2018

StuOhQ said:
Great 15 month numbers, but not the best quarter. I'm still not sold on 20 million this year. We still have 18.12 left to go and the year is 1/4 spoken for. Even if it averages 3x as many units for every additional quarter all year they still fall short. Pokemon and Smash are big games, but Q4 is usually just as slow as Q1. Is Nintendo seriously implying they are going to sell well over 10 million consoles in Q3?

The fact they're sticking to the 20 million target and the fact they've got Labo #3, Super Mario Party, Pokemon and Smash Bros coming in September to December suggests to me that, yes, Nintendo are aiming for a 10 million + third quarter followed by a strong fourth quarter. They had a strong fourth quarter in their last financial year, just under ~3 million units. If Switch receives a big enough boost to its momentum it could have a 3 million + Q4 this financial year. Still, that's only 13 million of the 18 million they need, and the next quarter certainly isn't going to make up the short-fall.

Really Nintendo need 11 million in Q3 and 4 million in Q4 to stand a chance of hitting their target, with 3 million in the next quarter - and I don't see where a boost of that magnitude would come from across July to September. In all probability we're looking at another ~2 million quarter. It's entirely possible they'll revise the target down when they report their next set of results. 

curl-6 said:
Nautilus said:

Well.... yeah.2019 could be great, even spetacular again.You would have Bayonetta 3, Metroid Prime 4, Animal Crossing, something Mario related(like a 2D game), way more third party support than this Switch got this far, and so on.And why is that?Because Nintendo took a "break" this year.My whole argument was around 2018, not latter years.With this year being so light on big releases on Nintendo part, I certainly expect a bigger year next year.

With better planning though, they shouldn't have needed a "break" at all. A system seller every 4 months or so is not at all unachievable with proper planning. If they find they can't finish the games in a punctual manner, simple answer: hire more people, outsource more projects, reallocate staff from less important projects, moneyhat third party exclusives, etc.

Not so unachievable?For a single company to release system sellers, which according to you are games on the level of BOTW, Odyssey, Mario Kart and Splatoon 2, which all take at the very least 3 years to make(with very rare exceptions), at a pace of 1 every 4 months?So 3 huge ass games that takes hundreds of people to make?And at the same time devoting resources, which are finite mind you, since Nintendo is not God, to making lower tier franchises to diversy their catalogue, which also takes at least 3 years?And devoting resources to marketing, R&D research, updating past games and the console itself.Also jiggling betwenn their games and third party ones so those third party games have a shot of success and dont scare those developers away.Having people with the talent to actually make those games, because you know, you dont find talent anywhere?That all is not so unachievable?My my, you sure opened my eyes.Nintendo is really inneficcient.

Are you drunk or have you zero idea on how the industry works?Or are you simply dillusional?

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Nautilus said:
curl-6 said:

With better planning though, they shouldn't have needed a "break" at all. A system seller every 4 months or so is not at all unachievable with proper planning. If they find they can't finish the games in a punctual manner, simple answer: hire more people, outsource more projects, reallocate staff from less important projects, moneyhat third party exclusives, etc.

Not so unachievable?For a single company to release system sellers, which according to you are games on the level of BOTW, Odyssey, Mario Kart and Splatoon 2, which all take at the very least 3 years to make(with very rare exceptions), at a pace of 1 every 4 months?So 3 huge ass games that takes hundreds of people to make?And at the same time devoting resources, which are finite mind you, since Nintendo is not God, to making lower tier franchises to diversy their catalogue, which also takes at least 3 years?And devoting resources to marketing, R&D research, updating past games and the console itself.Also jiggling betwenn their games and third party ones so those third party games have a shot of success and dont scare those developers away.Having people with the talent to actually make those games, because you know, you dont find talent anywhere?That all is not so unachievable?My my, you sure opened my eyes.Nintendo is really inneficcient.

Are you drunk or have you zero idea on how the industry works?Or are you simply dillusional?

Nothing delusional about it. It's a matter of planning. If games take 3 years to make, then start them 3 years in advance and plan 3 years ahead to avoid slumps. Hire more people to make them, there is no shortage of people skilled in video game creation. Prioritize games that will move systems like Animal Crossing over ones that won't, outsource lower tier titles to third parties to free up first party manpower. 

3 big system sellers a year isn't unreasonable at all. They've done it before, last year most notably, but also in several years of the Wii. There's no good reason they couldn't have had one ready for the first half of this year to bring it up to 3 along with Smash and Pokemon Let's Go, then have 2 more alongside traditional Pokemon for 2019. They know how long games take to make, they should've taken steps years ago to make sure 2018 and 2019 would have a steady tempo of heavy hitters.